News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

battery protection

Started by Griswold, April 23, 2014, 02:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griswold

As a new owner of a 2008 Tvan just wanted some thoughts on how to protect the batteries on the front of the TV. It seems odd to me they are exposed to the elements. I did have a look at putting them in plastic boxes but their is little or no room.
Brgds

Mick
Towing - Tvan Canning MkII
Tug- FJ Cruiser

Harry Lissimore

My 2002 Tvan which I purchased in 2011 has 1 battery in the battery tray on the front.  It is in a black plastic battery box with a strap (that comes with the box) holding the lid on, however nothing actually holds the battery in place in the battery tray.  I'm not sure if that is OK or not, but it seemed to work OK on our Cape York trip.

I have since installed another 100 ah battery in the jerry can holder next to the original battery.  This time I used a black plastic battery box and used the jerry can strap to hold it in.

I have been thinking of brackets to hold the original battery in but you're right, there is not much room.

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Eelezy

We had two mounted in the same position on a 2008 model and they went all over Australia with no issues..and no protection boxes either! I wouldn't stress about them!
Chris...
Oh..and you need to change your profile to refelect your recent purchase! Congrats
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

chris_a

We have 2 x 110 ah batteries sitting in a shallow plastic tray and held in place with standard battery restraints (the ones that hook under the battery tray and tighten using wing nuts) mounted on the front of our 2005 Tvan and exposed to the elements. Have been to all the normal testing destinations without any issues. Just have to blast the mud / dust away every now and then to check the batteries are still there :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami

Harry Lissimore

Eelezy, did you have them both restrained or just sitting in the trays?

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Cruiser 105Tvan

I can answer that one.
They have to be restrained or contained to restrain them.
If they aren't.  You know how coppers love finding fault with things.
That will be the start of a really bad time, for whoever has the trailer.

Just adding, if you bolt the battery in with long continuous thread.
As your anchor for the clamp across the top.  Make sure you use LOCK NUTS, NYLOCK NUTS, or thread lock on the part that anchors to the Battery tray.  Inside and outside.
Vibration will undo almost anything. 
If the nut at the top comes undone, the whole bolt will drop out through the bottom.
If it's not lock nutted in place, inside and underneath.
If it's not locked to the tray it may cause grief for the next passer-by.
If your using those hold downs like tent pegs, use lock nuts at the top.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Eelezy

Definitely restrained using standard battery clamps!
Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

The Hueys

I've not seen any need for them to be contained or protected but there should be a battery hold down clamp. That's what the two holes in the bottom of the tray are for, just buy one to suit from an auto parts store but make sure the posts are long enough before purchase as some can be a little short one end.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

Jim and Lyn

Gray,
I'd suggest a lock but or thread lock as well as our clamp disappeared on the Canning,.
Cheers,
Jim
Jim & Lyn
LC100, 1HDFTE and 2005 Tvan

Cruiser 105Tvan

A lot of trucks have Batteries exposed to the elements.
Doesn't seem to do them any harm.
Unless they're above the snow line of course. ;D
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Frankrhona

QuoteI have since installed another 100 ah battery in the jerry can holder
Harry,
I did the reverse and removed the second battery to fit another jerry. I removed the battery tray and made up new a jerry tray. Did you do something similar or is your battery on an angle in the jerry tray? I guess that is OK for AGM batteries, but not lead-acid.
As for protection we have no concerns. However, after every trip I clean out any stones that accumulate around the battery for fear they may wear a hole over time.
Andrew
Andrew & Clare
2005 ZD30 Patrol
2006 Canning Tvan

Griswold

Quote from: Frankrhona on April 27, 2014, 06:23:27 PM
Harry,
I did the reverse and removed the second battery to fit another jerry. I removed the battery tray and made up new a jerry tray. Did you do something similar or is your battery on an angle in the jerry tray?

For me, I removed the jerry tray and replaced with another battery tray..A bit fiddly but worked out.

mick
Towing - Tvan Canning MkII
Tug- FJ Cruiser

Harry Lissimore

Hi Andrew and Mick,

I put the second battery in the jerrycan holder.  It is on an incline but being an AGM battery, this doesn't matter.

Harry

The Hueys

Although a large fuse in the anderson lead at the battery can help protect the wiring from melt down if it comes unplugged and drags along the ground until it shorts out. This can save a lot of heartache later on in the rare event that the worst does happen.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50