News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

WHO HAS SEEN AN 'EAGLE'?

Started by Camperman2, February 27, 2012, 09:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccol2621

Yes - we have heard of them & were privileged to share the company of one at the Tvan Rally at Jugiong on the Oct long weekend. They are still around.
MKII Canning TVAN - short drawbar.
2014 Prado 150 (facelift diesel auto)

rob little

I have owned a track trailer eagle since 1998, it was the original unit with version 1 suspension which is excellent. I new Allen the original designer of the unit, we both shared the passion in the rugged nature of the eagle. My unit has been to all points in Australia and is still as strong as the day ist was built. My. Wife and I are photographers and the eagle has given access to the best locations, we even had it on a beach in Arnem Land. So finding this site is wonderful I will share some of the images that we have done in our assignment vehicle. The eagle is the best off road trailer made, small, light, strong, and intensely personal.
I will enjoy this site.
Rob

markeaust

That one above is mine..... :D :D

I will post some  better pics when I get a chance....

I have made some significant changes.

Cheers,

Mark
2003 HDJ100 Landcruiser
1996 Track Eagle
Aussie HFRC 3531, Austravel 3531 RFDS-9VNE

markeaust

This is my Track Trailer "Eagle"  (without the wonky tent... :o)

It's a November 1997 model and in great condition.  I have 'upgraded' the canvas a little, added to the electrics and have dragged the thing over lots of different terrain.

They are a very strongly made camper and have bucket loads of storage space and for the money they fetch these days are a great buy if you can secure a good one.

My only complaint is that when I travel alone (which I often do to speed up the 'commute' leg of a trip and then fly the family to meet) that they are a little bit of a hassle to set up alone each night.

Cheers,

Mark

2003 HDJ100 Landcruiser
1996 Track Eagle

Eelezy

Very similar to our too mate! Best mod so far has been to fit some Tonneau loops to top of each of the drop doors so that it is easy to open and close them when stopped. The dzus fasteners are done up only for travelling! I will post some pics soon!
Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

markeaust

Ok. for those interested in the Eagle, here's a bit of further info....

I bought it 2nd hand in about the middle of 2007 for just on $10k.  My reasons for choosing the Eagle were:  1.  Best suspension setup, therefore easy towing and less damage to trailer and contents.  2.  Locker system of storage.  These are just fantastic, both for travelling and for storing at home and being able to leave stuff set up for an easy getaway..  3.  Cost.  I'm poor and can't afford a TVAN (yet.... :(  )

Since then, other than using it  :)  , I have done the following modifications:

* Changed the hub drums, backing plates and brakes to suit the toyota 5 stud system and refreshed the bearings etc.

* removed all the suspension and sandblasted then coated with POR15 paint...replaced all the bushes and aligned the suspension. (see pics)

*  added two 120AH Fullriver DC120 batteries to an upgraded electrics system... including interior LED lights, solar controller and a couple of portable solar panels.

* made some significant changes to the canvas, as per the attached pics... including some additional end walls and a 'front half wall'.  I also shamelessly copied someone else ides for venting in the tent, access to the  lower locker and a "moon roof' in the main tent area.  There mods have largely transformed "tent living" and have made it much cooler and easier to regulate the heat at night in different environments.  I am also lucky to have two entrance doors to the tent area thus allowing easy use of the rear of the trailer for our normal sitting area.  This negates the need to navigate around the 'A' frame.

* Whilst the camper still has the Carter Wesco "tiger' hitch and it is still working wonderfully, I fully expect to have to replace it when the bushing is no longer serviceable.  I guess one of the advantages of this is that it makes it harder for someone to pinch it as there wouldn't be many of these left....   :)

Basically, it has done such a great job for me, with trips to the high country, WA, QLD, SA and central Aust, that I'll be sorry to see it go, but I would LOVE a TVAN..... ;)

Trip pics.....

Quick overnight stop...

Rear awning up for a couple of nights...

Lunch stop of the Nullarbor....

Cheers,

Mark

2003 HDJ100 Landcruiser
1996 Track Eagle

markeaust

PS. I also have two friends with Eagle campers: one with a very early model on leaf springs and another friend with the version with the sugar glider suspension.   One day I'll post a pic with all three set up together.....   :)
2003 HDJ100 Landcruiser
1996 Track Eagle

Eelezy

Hi Mark and other owners of the mighty Eagle trailers....(gee those tvan owners must be swooning with jealousy when they see photos of the premier track product eh ::)...and I was one of them a few years back too lol )
I have attached photos of a couple of simple but very effective mods on our Eagle. The very best mod is the small loops that allow you to temporarily close the five cupboard doors. These doors use Dzus fasteners to seal out dust and water when travelling, but are an absolute P.I.A. when stopped as you have to use a washer or simlar to open and close them.. All Eagle owners know this and I have thought about a range of expensive options...but then I realised that this simple system was the answer. Now getting things out, closing up at night or accessing the water tank pump is a breeze and I only do up the Dzus fasteners when ready to drive off. Total cost was less than $10.00 and ten minutes to fit by pop rivets.
The other things like the shovel holder and the supercheap auto stick-on rubber work really well and the most expensive mod, the AL-KO wind-down stabiliser legs also work a treat...I use a 4 way wheel nut wrench to wind them up or down... :D
Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

Eelezy

markeaust

Chris,

May I ask what made you go from a TVAN to the Eagle?  Im thinking of heading the other way....  ::)

Cheers,

Mark
2003 HDJ100 Landcruiser
1996 Track Eagle

Eelezy

Mark...we did this for financial reasons at the time..we were upgrading our house...but I really missed the tvan suspension etc so I was able to buy our Eagle at a very good price and in excellent condition. My wife would certainly disagree with hat I am about to say, but I prefer the Eagle over the Tvan as it is all steel. I managed to put a stick through the floor of the tvan at one stage...easy fix however it does show that the Eagle is far more robust in its powder coated steel. It also has HUGE storage of course. The Tvan is easier to set up overnight but in general, no matter what you own, it's packing and setting up all the other stuff that takes the time...chairs, awnings, BBQ plates etc...
Yes, I would own another Tvan as they are more comfortable , you are not under canvas if wet, ease of setting up etc but for the price ( at around $10,000) against a Tvan it is certainly a good option for us at the moment!
Chris

markeaust

Thanks for the insight, Chris.

I'm planning a 3 month jaunt next year and having done a considerable amount of travelling with the Eagle, I hear what you say.  I completely understand about all the 'other gear' that gets unloaded and it does take some time to put it all away.

I guess the part that I find the most hassle, is lifting the tent up onto the trailer top, whilst wet, when packing up in the mornings....then trying to get the tonneau on in the wind...... :o

I love the space and the configuration of the lockers and how food stuffs can be stored.

I'd also love to hire one for a week or two, just to compare, but I can't afford to throw that sort of money out the window either.... So I have a fair bit of time to think about it, S it is a fair bit of money, but I would see something like a tvan seeing me out as my "last" camper.....

Decisions, decisions......

Cheers,

Mark
2003 HDJ100 Landcruiser
1996 Track Eagle

The Hueys

Hi Chris

Love the loops for the doors, nice and simple. Remember the firewood rack on your Tvan? A small look of string with a knot at the end makes the elastic loops easier to slip over the mushrooms, especially with cold fingers!!
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

Eelezy

Yep Craig..I just haven't got around to doing those strings yet. Great for kids to use too..and on boat and ute tarps...
Chris

markeaust

Looks like I have just secured myself a very nice TVAN........... :D

I will always have a soft spot for the Eagle, however and will always remember the trips I have done in this beast.

Now to find a deserving soul to pass it on to......  :)

Cheers,

Mark
2003 HDJ100 Landcruiser
1996 Track Eagle