Author Topic: Servicing brakes  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Penguin

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Servicing brakes
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:23:55 PM »
Very exciting to have the forum back - thanks to those who have put in the hard yards to get this going.

My question for all you TVanners is:

My 2010 MKII Murranji has a handbrake that is doing nothing. I pull the handbrake on, the wire are tight but there is no braking.

In my youth I did the drum brake adjusting on cars; I have no idea how to do this on electric brakes. The trailer brakes are working - i recently reset the trailer brake controller in the tug vehicle.

Obviously there is no local service centre, so would like to have a go myself. Are the brakes adjustable? If so how? Also what is the best way to grease the bearings?

Thanks for any assistance

Offline The Hueys

• View Profile
Re: Servicing brakes
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »
The procedure for adjusting the brake on your Tvan is the same as drum brakes on a car.

First ensure the hand brake cable is not exerting any pressure on the lever when off, if it is then back off the adjuster at the lever end. Then raise the wheel and adjust the star wheel inside the drum (through the oval shaped opening on the lower back side of the brake backing plate) until the wheel just locks up, it is better to do this with the wheel off but can also be done with it on, you just have to allow for the extra leverage the wheel and tyre gives you when rotating the drum. Once locked up back the adjuster off by 5 "notches" of the star wheel. Do this for the other side as well. Once the drums are adjusted you can readjust the handbrake cable so it holds when pulled up but does not cause extra drag when off.

The main purpose of the cable adjuster is to take up the slack in the cable, not to make the handbrake hold better or adjust the brake performance. This must be done at the drums at least every 10,000km or so (the bearings should be checked and regreased at the same interval).

One thing to check is that the cable adjuster is bolted to the AT35/DO35 handbrake lever through the middle hole which gives more leverage than the bottom hole. If it is in the bottom one then move it up to the middle hole. Tvans were built using the bottom hole for a very long time but your van was built after I managed to introduce the change to the middle hole during production, however some still escaped with the adjuster incorrectly fitted to the bottom hole. I recommend anyone who has the handbrake adjusted in the bottom hole to move it up to the middle one as a matter of course.

The top hole gives more leverage again but can stretch the cable excessively causing more frequent adjustments to be required.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

Offline Penguin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
Thanks Craig

More work for the weekend - or perhaps the weekend after ;)

P

Offline Camperman2

• We are Gordon and Von presently living in the Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 01:45:51 PM »
Good to see you are following this new site Craig - your sound advice & commonsense approach is appreciated.   GT
NT (2010) auto diesel Pajero (Cool Silver) being pushed by 2011 Tvan Murranji III with fridge box & dual batteries.