News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Rust on Mc suspension and axles

Started by blink29, July 16, 2014, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blink29

hi Guys
My eagle is 1996 model still going strong been around Oz a few times- I have just had my original sunraysia wheels sand blasted and painted and now the suspension.
Mainly surface rust but 20years of it- I am  going to try a rust converter from WA R10 to try and stop the Rot has any one done similar -do I have to dismantle suspension?
Alan

keith@kld.com.au

Hi Alan
I have the same rust issue on my trailer. I decided to remove the suspension, sand blast and powder coat
It took quite a while to take everything off but that was my first time doing something like that, should be quicker next time - haha.
Currently at the powder coating place so will let you know how it goes.
regards Keith

The Hueys

Hi Alan,

You could go the whole hog and remove the suspension, but next trip over gibbers, etc will see the new paint/powdercoat sandblasted off again and you will be back where you started. My personal choice would be wire brush, rust converter and respray with a stone guard type paint.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

blink29

Hi All
Thanks Guys- Keith I admire what you are doing- but I think I might try the "Huey route" -first up.
The product I am looking to use as a converter is R10 from ICT in WA -used a fair bit in the mining industry-they have a lot of gibbers!!!.
any suggestion on what stone guard paint to use
Also just had my original Sunraysias sandblasted and repainted-look great, they were very brown not a lot of paint left-still plenty of metal.
Thanks again
Alan

The Hueys

I just used some from the local auto parts store, nothing special as I know I'll have to redo it later after it all gets blasted off again.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

keith@kld.com.au

Hi Alan
I had trouble getting into all the spots on the original coating, it was also flaking in a lot of tight places with rust underneath. The sand blast guy said the original coating was not great. all the best for the project. let me know how you go!
regards Keith

Eagle2

I know this is a bit late but another great product for painting and rust conversion is called metalfix from Phoenix paints.

http://www.phoenixpaints.com.au/m_04_01.html

I supply equipment to the mining industry and use their products, very impressed with them.

Would probably work best to take the suspension apart and then treat each part.

Alternatively you could have the parts galvanised or anodised and then paint them.

Eagle 2

markeaust

I did this and painted all the suspension components with POR15 paint.  That stuff is simply amazing and extremely resistant to chipping....so far so good.....
2003 HDJ100 Landcruiser
1996 Track Eagle
Aussie HFRC 3531, Austravel 3531 RFDS-9VNE