Author Topic: Tvan Colours  (Read 17954 times)

Offline boobook

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Tvan Colours
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
Well this is a bit exciting, first post in the TVan section.

I checked the colours of my MK 111 Canning.

Dark Gray - Interpon Sable Bass Matt ( Code GA297A)
White sides etc  - Interpon Surf Mist Matt  ( Code GA236A) Previously known as Vivica Surf Mist Matt.
Red Stripe Dulux Plain Red ( this is what Track trailer told me, previously Craig said Flame Red, but neither are on Dulux's web site)
I believe the orange is
Dulux Orange X15

The website for colour information for Interpon is http://www.specifyinterpon.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Industrial_colourcard.pdf

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:52:25 AM by boobook »
Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

Offline The Hueys

• View Profile
Re: Tvan Colours
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
Correct on the colours, the Red on the old Tvans was call flame red (but could now be Signal Red). The Dark grey used to be called Vivica Bass. The orange is indeed X15.

The dark grey on the earlier body style (MkI and MkII) is Dulux Anotec Dark Grey, the silver on the front panel and some of the Tvan models (MkII Murranji for example) is Dulux Precious Silver Pearl and the grey of the deck on the later models that were powdercoated (not anodised) is Dulux APO Grey Scylla. Yellow bumpers were Dulux Safety Yellow (although they may have occasionally been Yellow Gold on rare occasions). I don't know what the blue and green on the new Yulara or Tanami are but will endeavour to find out. The stone shields are just Black Satin.

Some of the very early (no more than the first 15 or 20) had Wizard Gloss sheet metal and rear bumpers.

Topaz colours are the same as MkIII Tvan.

Most Eagle campers were Transformer Grey Gloss (so called because a lot of electrical switch boxes are this colour) however the very late ones were a beige Scylla of which I'm unsure of (but most likely Stone Beige).
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

Offline peter_mcc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 09:59:44 PM »
The Tanami Green colour is Dulux "Mistletoe Gloss" Powercoat.

Offline Heifer Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
I'm about to remove the awning StayPut's from the roof of my MK1 Tvan and will be filling the holes in with MagicEzy 9-Second Chip Fix.

Does anyone know what colour the Gelcoat finish is on the roof of a MK1?

Chip Fix has a colour chart http://www.magicezy.com/products/color-chart but of course it's always hard to match up from a printout or a computer screen. I'm thinking either Snow White or Oyster White.

Offline The Hueys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 04:24:44 PM »
That one I don't know.
Craig Hewitson

Offline Heifer Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »
Oh come on Craig. Here's me thinking you were the font of all knowledge when it comes to Tvans?   ;)  Lol!!

I also asked Track but I think I saw on another post that they are closed for Xmas so I'm going to have to take a punt at a colour. I'll pull the cover off my Tvan tomorrow and try and decide which one to go with but it will probably be Snow White. It's not that critical as it is only to fill the pop rivet holes and they will barely be seen on the roof anyway.

Offline The Hueys

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
I do know when the aluminium wall skins were introduced the colour was lightened to better match the brighter powdercoat, so it may have been a custom colour.
Craig Hewitson

Offline Heifer Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 12:19:57 AM »
So I went to order some Anotec Grey today and got asked some questions I hadn't thought of before. Questions like Gloss or Semi-Gloss and Acrylic or Epoxy Enamel? I didn't know so I'm hoping someone here does and then I can go back to the store.

My paint is pretty dull but it is 10 years old and the stone chips are quite deep and round so I'm guessing Gloss Epoxy Enamel.

Offline Swifty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 07:45:55 AM »
I've been painting our secondhand Tvan, the auto paint shop suggested acrylic which I am very happy with using, I went for a semi gloss. Even though I went along with the paint names, I took off the firewood carrier from the back, and also the kitchen drawer so a perfect colour match could be made.
I filled the stone chips with a filling primer in pressure pack cans, applying several coats and using wet and dry paper in between coats.

Paul.

Offline Heifer Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
Thanks Swifty.

The guy in the paint shop said that although epoxy enamel was a harder finish than acrylic, he knew of a few caravaners using acrylic to repaint their vans because of the ease of use and flexibility of skin. Not as resistant to stone chips though. The other issue is if the factory paint is enamel then I would need to prime the area first whereas enamel just goes over the top of enamel after a light sand. I wonder what the factory finish is?

I am going to skim fill the chips but wan't planning on priming if I can avoid it. I guess once I get into it I should do a proper job...  ::)

Offline choppadick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
G`day Heifer Boy, I went to Hammonds & they made up a can of Spray Max with PPC Dulon ref no. 51275  which was a Anotec Dark Grey - matt finish & it was pretty close to the original.You really cannot pick it but doing it yourself you know it is there. I did the front box for the stone chips & it came up good.  Cheers Dick
Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
Nissan Patrol 2002 4.2TD Ute
3" exhaust Front diff LOKKA, Tilt tray, Coil-Rite airbags,Runva winch,DoranTMS.
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111

Offline Heifer Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »
Thanks choppadick.

I tried Autobarn for some rattlecans first and the guy said they needed the paint code and couldn't do Dulux colours or look up Anotec Grey. So I went to the Dulux shop instead (who don't do spray cans) and was going to borrow a mates spray gear. I wasn't looking forward to it for such a small job.

So the 51275 is the correct paint code? Do you think semi-gloss would have been a better match than the matt finish? I'm guessing the spray can was enamel too?

Offline Swifty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 11:10:57 AM »
I believe that the factory parts are powder coated prior to assembly. As far as stone chips go, I think that they are something that is going to happen whatever paint type is used, just enjoy being off-road and take stone chips as part of the experience. I use a gravity feed spray gun that I bought from bunnings, 1.8mm dia nozzle, I tried using a gun with a smaller nozzle but it was hopeless.

Be careful when buying paint, you don't need much. In my case I mix equal portions of paint and thinners as recommended, so you end up with twice the quantity.

Paul.

Offline Swifty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »
Just another thought about spraying, the gravity feed guns don't use much pressure, only about 20lb, this saves on overspray and doesn't annoy the neighbours by having too many fumes.

Paul.

Offline choppadick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 12:06:04 PM »
Heifer Boy the colour code is as stated, it is acrylic because they keep to the powder coated acrylic . You can purchase it by the ltr or in the pressure can 7.5 oz/ 212 grams. I only paint it over the chips on the front to look good when we get home. The stone guard is there to do a job on the front box cops a pizzling but that what its for. After the Nullabor crossing, the western gold fields, the Canning  S/R & NT, Qld  & Mansfield  ;D trip (18000 klm ) last year it was chipped a fair bit but after a sanding it came up good ready for Birdsville,  Qld gulf & York P trip in a couple of months.  PPC DULON REF 51275 Anotec Dark Grey / in the Matt Finish as we don`t want to be to shiny  8) CD
Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
Nissan Patrol 2002 4.2TD Ute
3" exhaust Front diff LOKKA, Tilt tray, Coil-Rite airbags,Runva winch,DoranTMS.
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111