News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Phil's 2metre awning

Started by Phil G, October 06, 2014, 01:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil G

Inspired by what some of you have done (especially Connie and Baron!), and given we rarely use the big awning, I wanted a quick, simple awning that suited my needs. 
Firstly, a big disclaimer - this is something I've just built and hasn't been field tested.  And I did drill two (sealed) holes into the roof of the Tvan!
I welded up the brackets but it could easily be made with nothing more than a hacksaw and a rivet gun.

Requirements:
#1  Set inboard because we like our desert tracks and our Tvan takes a battering from overhanging trees.  It will also mean we don't have to cover the gap at the front to keep rain out.
#2  Will work independantly of the rear door (in wet weather on overnighters we don't deploy the canvas, but want an awning over the stove and have the door down)
#3  Corrugation proof (needs more than the supplied 2 mounts and 4 M6 screws)
#4  Will not interfere with me using the big awning, which we would still use for base camp trips.

I bought a 2m wide awning (instead of the usual 2.5M) but it comes out 2.5m, (this makes up for it being 350mm inboard).  Cost about $180 from Dodgy Brothers online.  But the quality appears adequate (time will tell!).  It was branded "Kings" and the good thing was the "Kings" label was sewn on and easily unstitched!  (I don't like advertising on my camping gear!)

I made 3 mounts, using scraps in the shed.
Front mount was a 1M length of 50x25x3 aluminium riveted to the front of the Tvan with 3/16th steel rivets (Sikaflex would make it stronger). Top was doubled to allow an extra set of mounting screws.
Middle mount is 25x3 angle which attached to both sides of my solar panel.  I did this to avoid extra holes in the Tvan and it supports the awning at mid-length.
Rear mount needed two holes though the roof for M10 bolts - panel washers behind and the bracket is is long enough to spread the load on the fibreglass.

Here's the photos:

Front bracket:

Middle bracket:

Rear bracket:

And with these awnings you can slide in a rope extension which I might also modify so it can be used around the side.

I protect the stayputs on the roof of my Mark 1 Tvan with these rubbers.  I'll probably think of  a more permanent solution.
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

Kevin

Very clever Phil - well done!
cheers
Kevin
Suitcase
RUK42
2013 Prado SX

Nanook

Looks fantastic, thinking outside the square.

Russ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patrol Dude

Nice, good to see more of these type options coming out of the wood work.
Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody

Phil G

Did some field testing while out camping - very windy day - and it did the job nicely.

Phil
2003 Tvan

LGM

Looks pretty neat to me!

Great Job. :)
Lindsay
2013 Tvan Murranji & Discovery4

Phil G

Thanks Lindsay.
I think setting it back on the roof has some advantages.
The only issue I had was reaching up to undo/redo the zip on the rear of the awning - I need to step up on the tyre, which is no big deal.  The guy ropes were attached with a carabiner.
I'll probably leave the big awning at home now, unless I were to setup a base camp.
Cheers
Phil
Phil
2003 Tvan

LGM

That 'set-up' climb onto the wheels might be a problem for my good wife who is a bit vertically challenged.

Oooopps did I hear someone say it outside, therefore its a bloke thing???

Anyway I don't think that any aftermarket set-up would be free from some form of compromise. In the end if it works, that is all that really matters.
Lindsay
2013 Tvan Murranji & Discovery4

Phil G

Hehe....My better half is very good at holding the thing steady while I secure those twisty poles.  But can't see her standing on the tyre!
Yep, nothing is perfect.  But I enjoy travelling the tracks that are overgrown, and an awning on the side would get trashed on the Anne Beadell Highway or the rocks that the vehicle can throw up.
Phil
2003 Tvan

Phil G

Just a followup on the awning - been away 3 times now, and been lucky with the weather so haven't needed it much. 
But its been quick and simple and provides the quick coverage we need when it rains halfway through cooking!
Phil
2003 Tvan

Patrol Dude

Hi Phil, still working OK? Can you post some pics of your mounting brackets. Cheers
Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2021 T4 Rhapsody

Cruiser 105Tvan

Phil, get a tyre step.  About $50.00.
You can use it as a shelf too.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Phil G

Gday Jeff,
It had a lot of use last year - spent 6 weeks doing the Savannah Way - on the move a lot and pulled the awning out most days.  Usually peg it down with a single rope at each end to stop it flying away!  Still very happy with it as it is simple and does the job nicely, and brushing against trees and scrub doesn't do it any damage.
We were camped at memory cove for 4 days in December and got the original full awning out just for fun and it is nice to have that option still available with the 2 end walls when its windy.
The bracket photos are in my original post - the rear bracket is two pieces of steel welded to compensate for the angles of the roof.  The other two are simple.
Robert, both my wife and I are tall enough to just reach the awning to unzip it - We don't bother pulling the zip all the way - leave the back bit open which doesn't affect anything.
Phil
2003 Tvan

Patrol Dude

Great stuff Phil, I agree with you mate - I like the idea of the unit being inside the Tvans width and protected a bit. I have enough focus/time spent keeping the unit on the cars roof rack out of harms way in the tight stuff with out having to worry about the Tvan getting snagged as well. Cheers
Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2021 T4 Rhapsody

Phil G

Just back from 8 weeks - Tanami/Kimberley/Gibson desert.  Pulled the awning out most times we're camped - needed the shade in the heat. Takes literally two minutes so is a nobrainer - we have stopped taking the big awning or shade sail so the side locker is almost empty.  The quality of the Kings brand has been good and we have an extra tarp that slides into the rope rail.  We've done our fair share of overgrown tracks and it  If it were to wear out, I might consider a 2.5x2.5 or 2.5x3.0 version - would come forward a bit but that shouldn't be an issue.
Phil
2003 Tvan