News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Fuel economy 150 Prado GXL & Tvan

Started by ccol2621, October 24, 2014, 09:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccol2621

All

I remember someone was interested in our fuel economy for a trip who has the same car & Tvan (Chris?)

Here are our figures:
Diesel automatic 2014 GXL: 9.4 l per 100 kms around Sydney average.
Towing Tvan Syd -Gundagai (Jugiong) return (freeway conditions ) averaged 11.5 litres per 100 kms. (2 adults &  5 day trip)
Stock standard kit for car  for both sets of figures. Hayman Reese towing system.

MKII Canning TVAN - short drawbar.
2014 Prado 150 (facelift diesel auto)

chris_a

It was me. They are good figures. We do around 10.2 per 100 km around town and high 13s on the open road (with a kayak on the roof of the Prado).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami

ccol2621

Chris_a.

Just back from a 2 week trip with tvan/new Prado to Tassie. Hume Hwy from Syd- Melb, and touring in Tassie.

13 litres per 100 km average (no roof racks)

Cheers
MKII Canning TVAN - short drawbar.
2014 Prado 150 (facelift diesel auto)

Explorer_John

Just back from touring the south coast of NSW. Prado 150 with roof rack and we averaged 13.5/100 kms.
John
Prado 150
Mk 4 Firetail with extras

Joseph Papez

Just an observation....

....seems to me for a diesel 4WD your economy is not that good. I tow my Tvan with a 200kw petrol V6 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, on my recent trip back from the Vic. High Country, I left Dargo with a full tank and drove back to Geelong and averaged 13.9km/l according to the reading. I thought that was pretty damn good but I thought that you guys in Prado's should have done a LOT better than me......

just wondering....

mal1958

I think that you need more detail to say that Petrol Jeep categorically gets better fuel economy compared with a Diesel Prado.

I owned a petrol 90 series for 20 years, when I first had it, i regularly achieved 11 litres/100km.    When I sold it it was closer to 18 litres/100km.   It was always serviced regularly and was generally a well cared for vehicle, but it was modded for 4wding.    That's the price you pay.

In my observation Bigger tyres, bull bars, and roof racks and city driving along with the right foot are the biggest killers of fuel economy.   I also observed that fuel economy dropped over the winter months.

So we need to know aspects of the tow vehicle covering such as tyre size and construction (eg, Standard tyres, versus two sizes up Muddies), extra weight or wind resistance items such as roof racks, awnings, lift, bull bar, dual battery, extra water etc, .

Then you need to know where you went and what the terrain was like (eg. driving around Vic High country dirt tracks versus a run up the Hume Highway).   

Also whether you have a head wind versus a tail wind, whether it is wet or dry, hot or cold etc.   

These factors all make a big difference. 

AllanK

Joseph Papez

Quote from: mal1958 on April 16, 2018, 05:57:55 PM
I think that you need more detail to say that Petrol Jeep categorically gets better fuel economy compared with a Diesel Prado.

I owned a petrol 90 series for 20 years, when I first had it, i regularly achieved 11 litres/100km.    When I sold it it was closer to 18 litres/100km.   It was always serviced regularly and was generally a well cared for vehicle, but it was modded for 4wding.    That's the price you pay.

In my observation Bigger tyres, bull bars, and roof racks and city driving along with the right foot are the biggest killers of fuel economy.   I also observed that fuel economy dropped over the winter months.

So we need to know aspects of the tow vehicle covering such as tyre size and construction (eg, Standard tyres, versus two sizes up Muddies), extra weight or wind resistance items such as roof racks, awnings, lift, bull bar, dual battery, extra water etc, .

Then you need to know where you went and what the terrain was like (eg. driving around Vic High country dirt tracks versus a run up the Hume Highway).   

Also whether you have a head wind versus a tail wind, whether it is wet or dry, hot or cold etc.   

These factors all make a big difference.

You are absolutely right with everything you said......I was only making an observation that I always thought that a diesel should always be about 25% more economical than a petrol engine.  I did not think I would even get close......

......I am though almost like an EV owner......I have "range anxiety", I only have a piddly 60l tank.....oh well....

robstevens

My father-in-law has a Diesel 120 series Prado, and we have the same one but a V6 Petrol.
We both did the Cape York trip, via Old Telegraph Track, etc, and on our return to Brisbane (6500km), turned out we'd both done the same fuel consumption: 13.5 l/100km (not towing anything).

Since then, I've never been sure that Diesels are really so much better over a range of conditions...

However, Diesels do use less fuel when towing, I'll agree there!
2017 Mk4 (Firetail)
2019 Landcruiser 200 GXL (4.6 petrol)