News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Ball weight

Started by thommo19, November 11, 2014, 03:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennMaryanne

My ball weight was 125kg from factory and is now 180kg loaded ready to go...
Glenn & Maryanne.
Transport - 2018 Y62 Nissan Patrol.
Accomodation - 2016 Mk4 Tvan Canning with extras.

Phil G

If you tow over sand dunes, or drive a dual cab out in the desert, then its nice to keep the ball weight down. 
For pretty much all other 4wding, a 200kg ballweight on a Tvan shouldn't matter.
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

Cuppa

I measured our Mk2 in trip ready state today.  Drawbar (long) with 3 jerries (empty), no battery, spare wheel, 2 gas bottles, levelling ramps, couple of timber blocks & an ex 9kg gas bottle choofer & rack that it sits on. 5 full boxes under the bed, 2 x water jerries (full) behind mudguards + single 70 litre water tank full & a portapotti with 15 litres water in it's top tank at the end of the bed. Ball weight 105Kg. Was pleasantly surprised & pleased that my weight distribution had been worthwhile.
Big Trip Blog

A Nomadic Life

2006 Ex Telstra 4.2TDi Patrol based camper & 2010 Tvan Tanami

Trex

Had a go at measuring my drawbar weight over the weekend - 165kg: 2005 Mk2 with 100Ah battery, 2 4.5kg gas bottles, spare wheel and stone guards. Nothing in the front panniers and nothing in the rear panniers either. Twin water tanks, both 3/4 full and nothing else behind the axle to offset any load up front. I used a bathroom scale rated to 250kg with a steel plate glued to it to spread the load and a jack stand. Zero'd the scales and then lowered the dolly wheel. I'm hoping that when I move battery to the rear and maybe fill the rear panniers with fuel that I might recover 20-30kg off the drawbar. Taking the 40L Engel out of the cruiser and putting this in the rear of the van might also help.

Landcruiser 100 (HDJ100) towing 2005 TVAN Murranji

PeterCo

Our 2015 Canning mk3 came with an instruction manual and cd with setup videos etc. It also included an excel spreadsheet which could calculate estimated ball weight. Inputs include, model, extras such as front box, 2nd water tank etc plus ability to enter weights of loading for each compartment .eg under bed, locker opposite kitchen.

We run an estimated 200 kg with a front box, 2/tanks ... Easy to get over that. The most sensitive spot is obviously the front box which has the most leverage.
Peter
2015 Tvan Canning
2013 Prado 150 GXL Diesel

Frankrhona

QuoteIt also included an excel spreadsheet
Hi Peter,
Can you upload a copy of the excel spreadsheet?

I had created an excel spreadsheet for working out the loadings on our Mk II. http://www.tracktrailerforums.com/index.php?topic=854.0

However, I would be very interested to learn how the Tvan has evolved with front boots and other options and the effect they have on ball weight.

Cheers, Andrew
Andrew & Clare
2005 ZD30 Patrol
2006 Canning Tvan

Trex

Yes, I'd be keen to see that spreadsheet too if you are happy to share. Particularly interested to see how accurate their formulas and calculations are in comparison to a set of scales.
Landcruiser 100 (HDJ100) towing 2005 TVAN Murranji

PeterCo

I think I will contact Track to see if they are happy to see the spreadsheet posted

Cheers
Peter
2015 Tvan Canning
2013 Prado 150 GXL Diesel

Phil W

Like Peter, our Mk3 is approx 190 - 200Kg on the towball. Put air bags on the Prado to keep things level. Works well even on the Canning dunes we did this year.

Phil
Phil & Kylie
150 Prado & MkIII Murranji