News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Waeco CD-30 Drawer Fridge in the Tvan?

Started by Phil G, December 03, 2014, 01:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil G

Hi everyone,
Just rethinking our options for a second fridge.
We have a 40L Engel in the Landcruiser.  We had a second engel that sat on the rear floor of the tvan on the odd occasions we wanted a second fridge.  Problems are that its a pain to lift in and out every time we camp, and the compressor is noisy at night (its old).  I don't want to modify the front of the Tvan - rather have the fridge inside, and I want to reduce ballweight.

Plan is to buy a Waeco CD-30 fridge drawer and install it in the back of the Tvan - would take up 440mm of width so still leaves enough room for two Kitab boxes (could still fit 5 of these under the bed).  Would have the Waeco come up close to the tailgate so the top would be a shelf.  It stores 30 litres, cools between +12 and -2 degrees and runs the Danfoss style compressor.  Compressor can be detached and installed elsewhere but can't imagine doing this in the Tvan.

Anyone done it?  Anyone have any experience with this fridge drawer?

http://waeco.com/Australia/MS-7250-Caravan-Campertrailer-Motorhome-RV/PG-9667-Refrigerators/MD-118175-CoolMatic-CD-30/SK-118176-CoolMatic-CD-30-CD-30
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

Phil G

The silence is deafening - which I think means nobody has used one. 
I saw one fitted to a van at the recent show and thought it had potential.  Anyway, have ordered one - should get it next week and see what happens.  Going to cost $744 delivered.
Phil
2003 Tvan

Topher

Hi Phil
I don't have one, actually I don't have Tvan yet (looking at 12-18months I reckon, so doing my homework), but what an interesting piece of kit. Would you post a pic or two when you have it installed? Maybe a description of the process and any comments on the running of the fridge too would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Nissan Patrol GU factory turbo 4.2
Mk4 Tvan - Sold
Trakmaster Kimberley
Topaz next?

Phil G

Topher, yes will do - should have it installed over Xmas and hope to be away for at least 8 weeks in the first half of 2015.
You never know what this sort of thing might be like until you do it and use it for a while.  In general, I'm a minimalist traveller, but a bit of extra fridge space won't go astray!  We have also moved our battery from the front to the rear and rewired the Tvan with thicker tinned wire, so the Waeco should get full voltage.
Phil
2003 Tvan

Phil G

The new Waeco arrived last week and has simply been installed by using two of the 4 tabs it came with.  The RH front tab screws straight into the angle piece behind the RH mudguard.  The LH rear tab screws through the floor and is secured with a panel washer and nyloc nut above the rear axles.

The Tvan battery is in the rear these days (I built a cradle for it behind the RHS mudguard) so the fridge is sitting on top of it.  I upgraded the fridge cable to 6mm auto tinned wire (12g) so it won't be sensitive to voltage drop.
The fridge works fine - had it down to -3 degrees in no time.  No compressor noise.  I decided to install it under the bed on the right.  I can still store the portapotti in front of it, and we have sufficient room left for 4 Kitab boxes and there's still space for a toolbox behind the fridge.
Here's the photos.  I think it's a good option for a Tvan fridge.  We'll use it for dinner time supplies - drinks and veg.  The Engel inside the vehicle will still have lunchtime supplies and the vitals such as cryovaced meat.

And just to add that the drawer of the fridge is unnecessarily shallow - sides of the drawer only come up half way...... and the thermostat control location prevents tall items sitting on the RHS of the drawer - so I cut down a plastic box that was the right dimensions - sits in the drawer as per the 2nd photo to solve this problem.

Also the Caframo fan (on magnets) is stored on the right. 
Phil
2003 Tvan

Nanook

Looks great Phil, looks like it was made for that location.

Also love the wire shelving on the left hand side, a great idea.

Russ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emcamonhols

Thanks for sharing the pics, we don't have one so we did not answer, but like the idea of the wire baskets too.
cheers

EMMA
emcamonhols
Emma & Cameron
Murranji Mark II  2010
Nissan Patrol ST 2005

Phil G

My wife likes the baskets too - stores everything from soap, toothbrushes, water, flyspray, bushmans, water spray etc etc
The baskets were from Big W from memory and are simply attaches with two 12mm long screws into the floor.
Cheers
Phil
Phil
2003 Tvan

Topher

well done Phil, it looks like it was made for the Tvan. Like the rest of your storage ideas too.
Cheers
Mk4 Tvan - Sold
Trakmaster Kimberley
Topaz next?

Mal.W

Looks good Phil,
But just a thought. Maybe the drawer sides are only half height to allow the cold air to enter the drawer. By raising the height it may effect the efficiency of the fridge. Drilling some large holes in your plastic container should help or find another basket to suit.

Mal
100 series Landcruiser TD, GXV, set up for touring
2015 Mk4 Murranji. On the road full time now ( we were until recently)

Phil G

Gday Mal,
I wondered the same as you.  But found the cooling plates are on the top, so thought I'd go with it and see what happens.  I was hoping the plastic box might limit loss of cool air when the drawer is opened too.
Cheers
Phil
Phil
2003 Tvan

Phil G

Just a follow-up on the Waeco Drawer - done 2 trips since January so far for a total of 7 weeks.  Its working a treat.  We use it as a second fridge - for things that come out at dinner time - typically a few drinks and fresh veg.  The engel in the Landcruiser gets used for the other stuff. 
Plusses:
Fridge is dead quiet - can't hear it.
Fridge stays clean inside the Tvan
It really doesn't take much room - we fit a toolbox behind it, and 4 Kitab boxes to the left.
Power consumption has been low - the 65W solar panel almost keeps up with it.
Minuses:
Can't use it as a freezer
Can't stand up taller items like milk.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of fitting a box on the front for a 2nd fridge.

Cheers
Phil
Phil
2003 Tvan

blueyfrost

Phil
Did you install the compressor behind the fridge under the bed base or external?
looks good
Nick & Sarah
Ford Ranger twin cab & 2009 MK11 Tanami

Phil G

Hi Nick,
Kept the compressor attached at the back of the fridge - thought about swinging it around sideways, but no real benefit.
Phil
2003 Tvan

Topher

Hi,
Just wondering about the installation of the Drawer Fridge that Phil and maybe others have installed. Does the compressor generate much heat, and does it have any effect on either the efficiency of unit, or produce unwanted heat coming up through bed-base or on to items stored beside it?
cheers, Chris(topher)
Mk4 Tvan - Sold
Trakmaster Kimberley
Topaz next?