News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

TVan versions ( from old site)

Started by boobook, February 01, 2012, 02:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boobook

I just lifted this from the old site as it may be useful for people buying different models.
( I deleted some parts not to do with the context).

Hi,

Is there any type of info on the progress of models and what changes were made and when to them, such as a wiki?

Craig>   

Tvans were first built in 2000. There was about a year and a half overlap with the last of the Eagles.

The MkII came into being in late (Sept/Oct) 2004 when the different models (MkII, Tanami, Cannning and Murranji) were introduced.

Sport was introduced in September 2009 and replaced (along with basic MkII model) by Yulara in January 2011

The MkIII Murranji was introduced in July 2010, followed by MkIII Canning in January 2011 (with each of the relevant MkII models being discontinued)

When a model was replaced that meant new orders from that time were the new model, however there were still some of the old models on order in the system for some time after that. For example there are some 2011 MkII Canning models around.

Apart from that there have been a heap of running changes over the years that are too numerous to list.

TonyW>

Craig,

That is useful info.

Could you please highlight the major differences in features between the Mk11 and Mk111 for the Canning and the Murranji

Craig>

The big difference between the MkII and The MkIII is the construction and body size. Guard to guard over all length and height have remained the same (for long drawbar on MkII that is) but the body has been stretched but 30mm in length, 50mm in front wall height (more head room at the front) and about 100mm in body width.

Specs remain similar as far as the options each model had with Murranji gaining a few extras in MkIII that were not in MkII such as 12V fan, AGM battery, 16 inch wheels, etc and Canning loosing a few options such as the solar panel and the roof storage system.

Other changes from MkII to MkIII:

Battery location - MkII on drawbar, MkIII under rear floor
Rear door opening - 50mm higher and wider in MkIII
Windows - larger in MkIII
Jerry can storage - 5 in std MkII and 6 in std MkIII
Battery type - 100 Ah AGM in all MkIII and MkII ordered in 2011 (except Yulara which has 40 Ah AGM), wet cell 50 Ah in MkII ordered prior (except Sport with 40 Ah AGM)
Std wheel size - 15 inch on MkII and 16 inch on MkIII
Chassis - very similar, just wall and floor locating points have changed
Roof, tent, deck - same except for larger opening on tent
Awning - approx 500mm longer on MkII to accommodate front box option, end walls became interchangeable and zip directions changed to allow end wall to be zipped onto long side of awning at kitchen end to provide small alcove around kitchen

I'm sure there are more differences that I can't think of at the moment. If they are significant I'll list them later.
Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

The Hueys

That's great. I was hoping this would be lifted across.

Any model specific questions can be posted here for me to try and answer.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

clancy

Can anyone please advise the difference in length between the standard and extended drawbar for MKII TVans?

Thanks in anticipation

Cheers

Clancy

The Hueys

The extended drawbar is 400 mm longer than the short. So 4.9 over all vs 4.5
Craig Hewitson

clancy

Thanks again for the reply.

Priceless information.

cheers

Clancy

Heifer Boy

This is great info Craig. I know you mentioned there were numerous ongoing changes in each model but do you know what the significant differences between the MK1 and the MK11 Tvan's are?

The only things I can think of are the shape (size?) of the kitchen and storage hatches and the main hatch pull down strap doesn't appear on the mk1. Anything else?

Cheers,
HB

The Hueys

The main differences between MkI and MkII are you have said. Locker doors and kitchen style and shape. There were also some sheet metal changes, some which don't really make any difference to the end user and some which do such as the wider guards (much better for putting your coffee cup on!!). The roof lining became more or less standard (technically on paper it wasn't but I've not seen a MkII built without one). The permanent pull down strap didn't appear until well into the MkII with the earlier ones sticking with the removable pull down rope.

Withing a year of the introduction of MkII the canvas changed from Southern Cross to Bartletts (approx July/August 2005) with different mounting systems, new zip lines/directions for the awning, catch net and ensuite and extra length and a built in gable (makes the annex long wall easier to attach) for the awning The new white water tanks were introduced about the same time with some overlap of tanks (two different types fitted, blue at front and white at back) when twin tanks were specified. Another change that accompanied the tent change was the deck configuration and finish, the bungies moved to the side from underneath, the rear leaf of the deck became slightly narrower and the finish changed from anodised to powdercoat (as such an early checker plate will not fit a later deck).

The timber kits also changed from joined single piece floor and bed base to separate components with other changes to accommodate the larger kitchen and locker doors.

In February 2006 (from van 15 of that year) the spring seat on the RHS moved forward about 30mm thus doing away with the Tvan "lean" (although all Track products with the asymmetric suspension before this date had it and it was really only a cosmetic thing having no bearing on handling or tyre wear). Suspensions built before and after this change are not compatible unless the spring seat it cut off and moved. There was no change to the LH suspension arm.
Craig Hewitson

Footbrush

Good info thanks Craig. One thing with the water tanks, I had read there where tennis balls securing the blue water tanks, are the white tanks in the later models secured in the same manner. Brett. 
Brett & Jay
2003 Patrol
2009 Canning

The Hueys

White tanks are more or less wedged in place with polystyrene sheet in the rear tank. This also works for the blue tanks and cushions the load a bit more than the tennis balls and is worth swapping too (still use side balls though). Both types are held in with metal straps for the front tank.
Craig Hewitson

Heifer Boy

Thanks Craig. Great info as always. We are going to need new canvas (all of it) so it will be a chance to make changes rather than sticking with the MK1 design.

Out of curiosity, how were the pull down straps attached to the hatch and could one be fitted to a MK1 hatch easily? I'm guessing pop rivets!!  ;D

The Hueys

Easy, just attached with a longer bolt through the bottom of the over centre latch and a bit of stick on velcro at the other end. If you buy one from Track ask for the bolt and velcro with it.
Craig Hewitson

Heifer Boy

ftg racing

Craig , when did they change from fiberglass sides to Aluminum clad sides ?  was this a mk1 to mk2 thing ?
Darren

Customized 2009 Tvan Murranji
2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L

The Hueys

MkII models were built with fibreglass walls for a number of years. Off the top of my head the change happened some time mid to late 2006.
Craig Hewitson

Cracka

Mine is an April 05 model and it has aluminum sides!  Craig could this be another anomaly with the Tvans built for Guest that they specified? 

Are the Tvans normally metal or ally skinned.

Mick
'05 Tvan (Gone).
'12 Defender 90, (Gone).
'14 Mazda BT 50 XTR Freestyle ute.