News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

TVan versions ( from old site)

Started by boobook, February 01, 2012, 02:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hueys

There were about half a dozen 05 vans that were retro fitted with aluminium wall skins including one of Guests.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

Cracka

Ahhhhh a little unique then  ;D I do like being different   :D

What are the later ones steel or aluminum skin

Mick
'05 Tvan (Gone).
'12 Defender 90, (Gone).
'14 Mazda BT 50 XTR Freestyle ute.

The Hueys

Craig Hewitson

ftg racing

Craig could you let us know the process of how the aluminum sides were made ?  Track are having trouble supplying sides so im going to have to make my own. 
My plan at the moment is to buy sheet aluminum and carefully cut it out with a jigsaw or a router.  then stick it on with sikaflex and finally into the spray booth and a couple of coats of 2 pack white over the top, I can paint the front wall white at the same time.
I assume the track sides are cut using water ?  do you know if they use sheet that is powder coated before supply or if they get them coated ?

Darren

Customized 2009 Tvan Murranji
2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L

The Hueys

As far as I know they are CNC router cut.

They are cut from powder coated sheet. The ones I have retro fitted to older vans we had painted by the local panel shop prior to fitting (less masking, etc made it easier for them).

There is a post of mine showing the walls being stuck onto my Tvan if you want to seen how it is done.
Craig Hewitson

Shaker

Hi Craig, thanks for all the info!
What is the wall thickness of the MkII?
Thanks.
Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

The Hueys

The ply is 9mm (as is the rest of the timber kit), plus a few mill for the glue and another couple for the fibreglass/aluminium skin.
Craig Hewitson

Shaker

Thank you, I thought it may have a GRP sandwich construction.
Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Swag!

The Hueys

Craig Hewitson

Shaker

Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Swag!

The Hueys

There is a trim piece of stainless in the kitchen locker.
Craig Hewitson

Shaker

Sorry, front runner is a marine term for cabin & hull lining, old habits die hard after 30 years in the industry, including a few early years boatbuilding.
What I meant was, is there a layer of fibreglass on the interior of the plywood under the lining & can anything be screwed to it?
Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Swag!

The Hueys

No lining on the inside other than the fabric. You can screw directly to the timber with short screws that don't poke out the other side.
Craig Hewitson

Cuppa

Am I correct in believing that Mk 111 bodies are constructed using fibreglass sandwich panel compared to ply used by Mk11's? If so what thickness, & does it's insulation qualities make much difference to ply constructed models?
Big Trip Blog

A Nomadic Life

2006 Ex Telstra 4.2TDi Patrol based camper & 2010 Tvan Tanami

The Hueys

MkIII bodies are two thin aluminium skins with polyurethane foam sandwiched between, glued and vacuum bonded in house by Track after being cut and folded to their specifications.

The thickness varies depending on where in the wall it is but generally it's about 10-20mm.

The measured "R" rating of the walls is about 0.5 (most household roof batts are about 3.5) so the insulating properties are not huge, maybe slightly better than the ply but I think the white colour has a greater effect on reducing heat than the insulation properties of the walls. That said they are much better than canvas, which sometimes almost seems to amplify the sunlight's heat in tents.
Craig Hewitson