Author Topic: Prado 150 3rd row seats  (Read 12484 times)

Offline turtles

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Prado 150 3rd row seats
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:55:42 AM »
We are in the process of setting up our recently acquired prado 150 and are wondering if anybody else has removed the 3rd row of seats to make more room for storage. Have looked at pradopoint but would like to hear first hand from someone on this forum who may have done it. Thanks in advance for any replies.
turtles aka Peter and Karen
2010 toyota prado with a 2009 Mk II Murranji

Offline Rob M

• View Profile
Re: Prado 150 3rd row seats
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 01:34:30 PM »
Hi Turtles,
We too have a Prado 150 and we gave a lot of thought to removing the seats. One of the issues became access to anything stored in the space created when the seats are removed.
We decided not to remove them.
We have made up a storage system for the rear of the Prado that bolts into the tie down anchor holes. The seats are simply folded under the floor.
The fridge slide and storage shelves can easily be removed when not travelling or camping.
We have ,however, removed the second row of seats when on a long trip. We made up a ply storage cupboard that bolts into the seat anchor points. This gives heaps of storage and creates a shelf for books, lap top, maps etc.
Cheers
Rob
Previously 2009 Tvan Canning and now Topaz Series2 towed by Landcruier 200 series

Offline Jeffr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »
Mine Prado is a 95 Series, but the principle is the same: I bought the Prado new and it took me a eighteen months to take the 3rd row seats out, and two seconds later I realised I wouldn't miss them, ever. Its now twelve years or thereabouts since, and I was right, forgot I ever had the wretched things.

A year later I threw the seats out, never regretted it. Fact of the matter was, and is, I would never have put kids back there anyway, and removing them allowed me to use that space much better: "boot" now has drawers, fridge and cargo barrier.

Jeff & Judy

Offline turtles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:31:19 PM »
Thanks Rob, Wondering if you have any photos of storage you could share please. We have had a similar setup in our previous vehicle but need to start again with the Prado. You can send a pm if you prefer to pkt17685@gmail.com    Thanks

Offline Rob M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:16:54 PM »
Peter and Karen,
Will send photos to your personal email this weekend.
Cheers
Rob
Previously 2009 Tvan Canning and now Topaz Series2 towed by Landcruier 200 series

Offline chris_a

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 08:59:32 AM »
Rob,

I'd be keen to see the pics as well. Most commercial set ups remove the seats and replace them with a false floor to cover and protect the wiring loom that is found under the third row seats. I'm not sure I want to go to that trouble and building on what is already there might be the way to go. Can you send the pics thru to me as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami

Offline Rob M

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:50 PM »
Hi Chris,
No problem sending the photos. Please just let me know your email address.
Cheers,
Rob

Offline hulbyw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 09:21:39 PM »
There are numerous posts on Pradopoint on this topic with photos and all, covering both building a false floor or leaving the seats folded down and attaching a floor with fridge slide etc on top.
I removed our 3rd row seats , constructed a false floor, mounted a fridge, custom water tank, compressor and had Drifta make two large drawers. Also installed a custom height cargo barrier which rests on top of the false floor but is also tied into the seat mount bolts. Took me many hours of figuring and then construction. This setup works for us however you certainly do lose the boot, as you cannot fit anything large in there when not camping.
One thing you need to remember (in Victoria at least) is that you need to keep all the seats and fittings because when you go to sell the vehicle, you need to restore the seating capacity to what it was registered with. The alternative is to get a RWC with the car registered as a 5 seater instead of 7/8.
Cheers
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:00:15 PM by hulbyw »

Offline chris_a

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 07:20:11 PM »
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami

Offline turtles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 02:55:03 PM »
Thanks to everyone who contributed to my original post. The project is now finished and very happy with the result. I left the 3rd row of seats in as I couldn't see any real space benefit. I have a floor in the rear area bolted to the tie down spots and a floor in the space where the passenger seats normally fit. That floor uses the existing seat mounting spots to hold it in place and the two floors (different levels by approx 200mm) are bolted together for strength. The rear area is for our fridge slide and drawer storage with a mezzanine level above the fridge for loose storage. The front storage sits across the vehicle and provides storage for our solar panels, generator and our favourite thing, the pig: a modified 9kg gas bottle. Plenty of other space for all the "stuff" that seems necessary when packing for a trip.

Offline Attraversiamo63

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Not yet but interested in one
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
Hi Turtles.  I am really keen to see your set up in the prado having removed the 2nd row seats and adding false floor storage etc. Is it possible to see some photos please.

Offline luke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 06:47:55 PM »
Old thread I know, but for anyone else thinking of doing similar, the rear seats come close to 50kg, which could help depending on what other extras you're adding.
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150