News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Travelling up the Canning

Started by choppadick, February 28, 2015, 11:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choppadick

Sorry about the slow post. We had been told not to go Sth to Nth because of the dunes being steeper, crap. Do not listen to these people who think they know because they are full of ideas from someone else who was told by someone else.
Your biggest challenge is which way you are doing your holiday & where you want to be after the Canning.
We started at Willuna, going to the Police station & meeting Wendy Kelly giving her our particulars & she stated we were one of the best prepared she had seen . Wendy is also aboriginal descent & knows it all in the bush , lovely lady.
Traveling with trailers we had to access the Canning thru Granite Peak station to Well 5. We had 330 lts of diesel & at the time about 100 lts of water & 19 lts of whiskey, also 2 spares on rims & 3 skins (tyres). Due to our vehicle loading & access to well water I decided to use all of the front tank water to lighten the ball weight a bit but the traveling was good. At well 6 my mate came over & said that the people he was talking to told him that we were going the wrong way & that the Patrol with the Tvan on had no hope because his gear ratios were wrong to challenge the big dunes. Crikey I nearly crapped myself & was wondering what we had done coming to this bloody place & should we now decide to abort while we can. Then looking at his Landrover had a bloody good laugh & went for a pee. What a joke . It was about Well 17 that we got stuck on our first & ONLY dune. Backing back for another run this mob turned up pushing to get past as they were on holidays with kids & had to get thru because they needed to be back to start teaching in a couple of weeks. Did another run & stopped just off the peak so winched over using Max tracks on rear & let the mob past in a cloud of dust Bloody school teachers in a hurry. Met more than one mob of them too. Then I let another 6lb of air out of the back as we were running front 20-24-20. Went to14-18-14 for the rest of the CSR & walked over the dunes in L3 or H2.
I won`t bore you with the whole travel but if anyone needs to know something I will add some more later & possibly some photos If anyone is interested.  Cheers Dick 

Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
Nissan Patrol 2002 4.2TD Ute
3" exhaust Front diff LOKKA, Tilt tray, Coil-Rite airbags,Runva winch,DoranTMS.
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111

Cuppa

Did you need all 330 litres of diesel? Our capacity is 240 litres including 3 jersey on the front of the Tvan.
Big Trip Blog

A Nomadic Life

2006 Ex Telstra 4.2TDi Patrol based camper & 2010 Tvan Tanami

Patrol Dude

Good start mate, I'm extremely interested in your trip. Was supposed to go last year, but work got in the way!!!!! Put as much info and as many pics as you can, real interested in your thoughts of the CSR and how the Patrol and Tvan handled it. Cheers
Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody

debian

Also very interested in any info you can give and having a look at any photos you put up...
Ian & Deb
2014 Pajero
2013 Tvan Murranji

Footbrush

Good stuff Dick, I am with you don't listen to much to the horror stories.  Most people don't  run the right pressures and are always in a hurry.  Glad you had a great time. Cheers.   
Brett & Jay
2003 Patrol
2009 Canning

Mal.W

Great info,
I am always planning the next and the next trip and all info is greatly appreciated. We travel alone and are set up for solo travel, within reason. I did the CSR in 2000 with a 1984 2.4lt D Hilux and 2 dogs. and loved every minute.
Listen to others but take it all in with a grain of salt

Mal
100 series Landcruiser TD, GXV, set up for touring
2015 Mk4 Murranji. On the road full time now ( we were until recently)

Rainsey

We did the Canning last year towing the TVAN south to North and we came to the same conclusion. Personally the hype about the north to south is a load of crock. We had a ball, best endurance trip I have ever done.

On return we had a few rivets to replace on the TVAN as some shered through due to the corrugations but all in all it came out better than the truck.

I personally think the only reason why North to South is any better is that by the time you pass half way and am getting tired of ' not another bloody well ' the wells are getting in better condition and it is a factor that gets your interest going.

I question if those that state that the south to north is the wrong way have infact even done it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sharon & Graham :2013 Tvan Murranji - Towed by 3L CRD Nissan Patrol Cab Chassis

Young Nomads

Much like the comments about "should only do" the Simpson West to East ...much better east- west if you deflate your tyre pressures correctly. Towed the Tvan across the QAA line to Poppell corner, then up the hay..got the TVan & car pressures correct. Not bogged or held up at all.. crossing East to West... ;D
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

choppadick

Due to no work permits I have this few days off from drilling so will try & do this trip report. Ended up crutching sheep yesterday & getting around like a half open pocket knife at the moment.
Fuel usage on the first half of the Canning to Kunawaritji for the Patrol 4.2 was 175 lts for the 1000 klms.Here you can get supplies from the store also & do the washing, shower or camp in the rooms. We drove to conditions so others will vary. Our friends with the Tojo & Quantum decided to leave us here as they thought it was to much  after the kitchen carrier gave way & the pop up roof supports gave way. We decided to go on alone knowing that there was traffic traveling along most days. When we left the Gunbarrel Laager caravan park near Willuna we met Outback Spirits convoy from Broome who have 4 vehicles with tourists travelling the Canning, then another convoy leaves Broome 2 weeks later ( another 4 ) for the same trip so they have rigs on the track at all times. These rigs are 4x4 Mercedes Benz & some are 6 wheel with trailers. They run on about 25lb so you can see what is happening to the track. Big trailers on da back also. They break the pulls & snatch each other over the dunes  but are good drivers to mix with talking on the radios so you can keep in  contact where they are.
After wel l33 the track was bumpy for about 35 klms which we traversed over at about 15 klms hr. Ended up curdling the eggs in the front fridge box :)
Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111

choppadick

Just poking along you can cover plenty off ground without damaging anything. We lost one of the rubber covers off the lock on the side storage compartment & I replaced the hand water pump diaphragms which had perished or cracked , just glued bunker tarp sheet on with  quick grip glue which done the job until we got home.  THAT was all of the drama which we encountered for the whole trip, 185000klms & 1 puncture which was on the Nullabor.
One day we decided to prop & give the rig a service checking everything for loose bolts etc, filters changed & just enjoyed the place.
You have to be very aware of traffic coming thru without radios & some no flags, shudder to think what would happen on top of a dune head on as they do back up runs to get over & could be doing 30klms on the run. It just hammers the suspension to bits & is not the secret, most are single rigs so they could walk up with tyres right. We did with the Tvan on!!
Met some lovely people doing the same thing so you can share ideas of what they & you will look out for encounter.
We elected to camp away from the wells due to a couple of reasons ( it was like a honeymoon )  Na only joking. Most travelers camp at the wells so carry wood because around the well is all gone.  So just prop behind the scrub out of the way &  between wells.
Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111

choppadick

Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111

choppadick

Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111

choppadick

Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111

choppadick

Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111

choppadick

Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111