News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Towing using a Discovery 4

Started by TrackTrailerTreker, March 16, 2015, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackTrailerTreker

Hello fellow TVaners.

I currently own a TVan Tanami Mk3 and am seeking advice regarding using a Discovery 4 as the tow vehicle. Firstly what type of tyres (brand, rating, size) do you use on the standard 19" rims. Also how does the D4 preform towing the Tvan (economy, handling, reliability).

Any feedback, either positive or negative, would be most welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Kind regards,

Adrian

NichBails

Hi Adrian,

We tow a Topaz (with our D4) which is much heavier than the TVan and we get between 10.5 and 14.5 l/100k depending upon the conditions. 10.5 to 11.5 cruising on flat roads with no wind and up to 14.5 on hilly roads or head wind. The D4 has stacks of power and is brilliant towing particularly with its Towing Stability Control system. This system eliminates any swaying and works 100%. The large brakes (hence why landcover have gone to 19inch) have huge stopping power and add a lot of safety to travelling.
I don't like the D4 towing hitch and I'm switching to the Mitchell Brothers Hitch. I also don't like the spare under the vehicle so I have had that mounted on the rear bumper (Opposite Lock).
The tyres that I use are Cooper Zeon LTZ's  255/55/R19. These are the 3rd set that I have now had (2 previously with our Range Rover) and I haven't had a single puncture. Been to many remote areas on these tyres and found them be excellent (Tanami, Gary Junction H/Way, Gibb River Rd, Oodnadata track, Dalhousie, Otway Ranges, Darling River run). On good dirt roads I let the tyres down to 30 and on rougher dirt, gravel, or stoney tracks i let them down to 22 to 25psi. For soft sand I let them down to between 12 and 18 depending upon how soft the sand is. Heavily corrugated roads I let them down to 18 to 22. D4 owners are also purchasing General Grabbers but I can't comment on these.
Cheers and enjoy your D4 as I am.
Bruce
Bruce & Lynda
2015 Defender 110
Topaz II 2016
Australia we love

three1four2

Hi, Adrian

I have a D4 (poverty pack - 2.7l [emoji13]) and tow a Topaz S1.  A dream to tow, plenty of power and sits well on the road.

I run General Grabber ATs (not AT2s) 255/60/R18 - got 77k out of my first set.

I have recently fitted a Redarc Tow-Pro brake controller, which is much better than the previous Redarc unit.

pi
pi
Topaz II Savannah 2016 & Disco 4 MY11

The Hueys

I would also recommend the Mitchell Bros Hitch as it is at a much more suitable height for the Tvan coupling, the factory one is just a bit low. I recall reading somewhere that the towing stability control doesn't work with aftermarket hitches, but I don't know if this was just Landrover marketing hype or not so you might want to check that point with them.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

NichBails

Hi Craig,

Probably more hype from toyota than from Landrover (LOL). The towing stability control system works independently of the type of hitch or the location of the "hitch point". When the standard trailer plug is connected to the vehicle it sends an electrical pulse to the trailer lights and measures the resistance. When a resistance is detected than it knows that a trailer is connected. It switches on the trailer stability control system which uses the "yaw sensors" to detect any 'swaying'. It reacts faster than us humans and eliminates any possible sway within milliseconds. In addition the Landrover will also make adjustments to the timing of gear changes, coolant monitoring and switch off the rear proximity sensors.

Bruce & Lynda
2015 Defender 110
Topaz II 2016
Australia we love