Author Topic: Trackmate trailer with James Baroud  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Mudda

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Mate
Trackmate trailer with James Baroud
« on: June 02, 2015, 09:10:57 PM »
Hi folks,

We are seriously thinking of buying a Trackmate with James Baroud as sleeping quarters.  I would love a TVan but do not think we can afford it at present.  My question is what do Trackmate owners think of the set up.  I have never seen one close up so have no real idea about size, convenience of set up etc.  Apart from the pics on the Tracktrailer site and the pics here I have no way of comparing them with others styles we have seen.  Any suggestions and advice would be much appriciated.

Thanks
Georgie

Offline wrose

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Re: Trackmate trailer with James Baroud
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 09:40:40 PM »
Hey Georgie,
If you don't mind me asking, how much are you looking at spending on a Mate?
There are some good second hand Tvans around, for a reasonable price, and if I was in your position, I would still be looking at getting a second hand Tvan over a Mate, as the comfort of a Tvan wins hands down over a Mate.
Just think stopping at a campground in the pouring rain;
Tvan - drop deck, open hatch, get in, close hatch, go to sleep. (It only takes about 3mins to deploy the tent and then you can stand up and get changed)
Mate - get rain coat out.........
And again packing up in the rain, we can pack up entirely with only about 5min in the wet, with none of our wet canvas going anywhere near our bed.
Not meaning to bag out a good Track product, but I personally wouldn't  want to settle for a mate, when a second hand Tvan is similarly priced.

This is just my opinion, anyway.

The mate has advantages over the Tvan as a Tvan can be used as a box trailer.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:53:03 PM by wrose »
Wayne and the Rose Circus
(Landcruiser 200 Series TTD GXL)
(2012 Tvan MK III Murranji, wheels & tyres matched to LC200)

Offline timkeys

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Not yet but interested in one
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 08:45:04 AM »
We are a family of six, so at tvan would be too small
We've got at tour mate with the fold out tent Lots of room :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mudda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  It is a hard decision for sure.  We have been looking at both for a while and have spoken with Jason at Horizon who is the dealer here in Townsville, he is very helpful.  If I had a choice I would buy a Tvan.  I liked the Mate for its simplicity and the fact we could use our RV5 Oztent as a room set up next to it.

Cheers
Georgie

Offline Mudda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »
Hi again, a question for timkeys,  does your Tourmate have the kitchen set up and are you happy with it. Also did you go for the slide out tray in the trailer.  How did you find the ride of the trailer overall.  I suppose what I really want to know is did it live up to your expectations.  Sorry about all the questions but having never seen one in person, ah just needs to know.

Cheers
Georgie

Offline timkeys

• View Profile
Trackmate trailer with James Baroud
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
Hi Georgie
Yes we have a kitchen that swings out at the back then the  back tray slides out
The kitchen is simple and small but adequate Its certainly not the big selling point  I had an electric water tap fitted to the kitchen locally, as the hand pump is simply not good enough
The slide out tray is very large and easy to use Very happy with it !
The tent and bed area is very roomy We are a family of 6 and can fit comfortably for an overnight stay Longer and we set a tent up for our 2 girls
Set up and pack up is pretty easy once you get the routine The hardest part was zipping the cover on over the tent , so we had a gusset put in the cover to make it easier Works well and you can fit more bedding on top of the mattress
The ride is really good It's a heavy camper but very well built
Only disappointment is the kitchen It should've had the elective pump, some led lights, an outside power socket and a bit more space
Over all very happy though

Hope this helps
Cheers Tim

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:26:01 PM by timkeys »

Offline Mudda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 08:28:21 PM »
Thanks Tim,
Yes it does help.  We would be going with the James Baroud pop up option as I short, old and totally over canvas and hate struggling with zips.  We will keep our Oztent as extra space for when we stay longer.  My main concerns when we travel are bed and breakfast.  We have no kids but the old fella is a bit tempermental and we usually do a lot of overnighters when we are travelling long distance then park up for 3 or 4 days, so everthing has to be easy and quick to set up and pull down  I will make a note of your recommendations for the kitchen. 

Cheers
Georgie

Offline MYT150

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Outback Tracks
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 11:12:37 PM »
Georgie,

I am not sure what price the Track mate with the options you are looking at is but if you have no kids and want quick set up and pack up without to much canvas, but still have room when staying longer I would be looking at a second hand Tvan which would be in the same ballpark as the new Track Mate, and you could still use the Oztent if you wanted to.

It has a better kitchen, is doesn't need a ladder to get in to the bed, it has the bed set up permanently, you can pull over and stop and just open the back hatch and go to sleep if you want, no need to set up the canvas form the hatch, less then 30 seconds.

Saying that the Track mate is a great product as well, but it is wider then the Tvan, and about the same weight depending on the options added.

Regards

Aidan
Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
Mk4 Tvan Murrranji

Offline timkeys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 09:23:08 PM »
I agree with Aidan if we didn't have kids I'd seriously consider a Tvan

Offline Mikees

• Mike Pavey
    • View Profile
    • The Dirt Off Road Campers
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »
Hi Mudda
If you're still in the market for a Track Mate, I've got an ex demo unit for sale ($19,990 + freight) specc'd to Weekend Mate level, but without the tent. The trailer has been used in our showroom and has never been registered. It's got all the good gear incl kitchen, water, gas, power and the drawbar mounted fridge box and the rear slide-out tray, plus the standard features of the MC2 suspension, braked hubs, DO35 hitch and loads of storage. Can supply with or without a James Baroud at additional cost. For around the same money, we also sell the 3 Dog Camping roof top tents with the integrated change room available in 2.1 and 2.4 m lengths ( x 2.2m width). Advantages over the James Baroud include more comfy mattress, integrated change room (no more getting dressed lying down), room to move and better awning options. Also quality Australian manufacture.  There's a walk through of the Top Dog roof top tent here: youtube.com⁄watch?v=vBuXWiBYc40
Almost $5k saving off new price. If you email me at mike@thedirt4wd.com.au I can send some pics.
cheers
Mike
0432 320 650
Mike Pavey
The Dirt Off Road Campers
http://www.thedirt4wd.com.au