News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Mounting ARB Twin Air Compressor

Started by wrose, June 27, 2015, 07:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrose

I was playing around with a location to mount my ARB Twin Air Compressor in my 200 series
I ended up mounting it in the back behind the right hand side panel above the jack.
It's still a work in progress, I have mounted it on a prototype 1mm steel bracket.
The final bracket will be a laser cut 2mm steel. I'll post some pics of the final bracket shortly.
I had to take my drawers out to play around with it, so the back will get a good clean out too.
The air out let will eventually be mounted to the back of the drawers wing.

Wayne and the Rose Circus
(Landcruiser 200 Series TTD GXL)
(2012 Tvan MK III Murranji, wheels & tyres matched to LC200)

Lt4vette

Having the outlet at the rear is a good idea. On my 100 series the compressor is in the engine bay, and I can't reach the trailer wheels without an extremely long hose, which would be that much more difficult to store.
Thanks,
Russell
Tvan Murranji Mark IV
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

wrose

Yes that was my issue as well, that's why i looked at position in the rear.
I'm still thinking about whether to put an external air outlet somewhere as well.

joga

What amperage do those ARB units draw?
I recently purchased a Supercheap compressor that was supposed to draw 13.5 amps.
It blew the 20 amp fuse in my fridge circuit in the Hilux, and the 30 amp fuse in the Tvan.
Joe & Gay
2016 Prado shoved along by a 2014 Murranji

Flood

Don't know what the ARB units draw however the "thumper" ( similar size/rating) draws approx. 40A.

Cheers Mark.
Mark & Tracey
2013 Hilux(2" lift on 32" maxis bighorn)
2015 Canning.

Young Nomads

Quote from: Lt4vette on June 27, 2015, 08:40:12 PM
Having the outlet at the rear is a good idea. On my 100 series the compressor is in the engine bay, and I can't reach the trailer wheels without an extremely long hose, which would be that much more difficult to store.
Thanks,
Russell

Try putting an Anderson plug on the end of the power supply cable, of a portable unit...You can plug it into the car Anderson plug/ trailer plug outlet...we do have a unit under the bonnet too and carry a spare portable ARB air compressor in the car...ebay pick up.. :)..was very handy when we needed to inflate the TVan tyres after a sandy drive...makes the whole car and Tvan tyre inflation business quicker too....as well as a back up, should the one under the bonnet fail
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

wrose

Hey Joga,
I'll check the specs and let you know.

I put an Anderson plug on the end of the cable and carried it around like a portable unit for years.
I just plugged it in the back of the car, and used it with the car running, my fuse to the rear plug is 50A, and I never blew it.
Now I finally got around to mounting it.

joga

Thanks all,
I've had a (Blue tongue ?) compressor for about 20 years. Always ran it off the 2nd plug beside the fridge plug. So when I got the SC unit I swapped the bulldog clips for a Merit plug.
1st time I used the fridge plug it blew the fuse, so I started using the merit plug on top of the fridge bin on the Tvan. Worked well several times, then blew the 30 amp fuse.
I returned it to SC & got a new one from another source.
It at least had the (hopefully) accurate amperage on it. At the moment I am restricting it to the bulldog clips, but had thought of the Anderson plug option, but didn't get around to it before this trip.
Joe & Gay

wrose

Hey Joga,
These are the specs from the ARB website
The ARB standard compressor pulls 14A, and 25A at load, and delivers 87L/min with a 50% duty cycle
The ARB Twin compressor pulls 28A, and 50A at load, and delivers 174L/min with a 100% duty cycle.

However it doesn't say what pressure load is, the compressors can deliver 150psi, is that considered load, Is the 30-40psi we put in our tyres only considered 1/3 load, considering its 1/3 of the max pressure? So would it be safe to say that would expect 1/3 of the difference between no load amps and full load amps?

How about when I connect my compressor up I'll measure the no load amps and amps at various pressures when inflating my tyres.

The Hueys

How much air flow does the compressor need for cooling? My portable one gets very hot in the open air, so I'm wondering if stashing the compressor behind the trim could cause it to get too hot and cut out quicker. Let us know how it goes on a full set of re-inflations (6 tyres) from sand pressures.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

joga

Thanks Wrose,
So the standard compressor should be ok to use from the front of the Tvan, but the twin most certainly would not.

Craig has certainly set you an agenda for this weekend!!!
Joe & Gay

weonatvan

Quote from: The Hueys on July 03, 2015, 06:54:17 AM
How much air flow does the compressor need for cooling? My portable one gets very hot in the open air, so I'm wondering if stashing the compressor behind the trim could cause it to get too hot and cut out quicker. Let us know how it goes on a full set of re-inflations (6 tyres) from sand pressures.

I have a twin ARB unit and while they do have two cooling fans blowing air across the two compressors, I would be reluctant to install it in an enclosed box for prolonged usage like airing up 4-6 fourby/camper tyres.

I think from memory they use two 30amp maxi fuses in parallel, so don't skimp on cable size and if not hard wired, use no less then a 50A genuine Anderson plug. 

I found that the problem with them is that come with a 120-150psi cut-in, cut-out switch and it would take a very long time and chew a lot of power to pump that last 20psi before it would cut out, not to mention a lot of unnecessary heat. Who needs that sort of pressure unless you own a truck? [emoji12]

I changed the switch for a 90-120 that I got off fleabay cheap (common as) and I feel it now runs much smoother, should last heaps longer and I can't really detect any difference in the time it takes to inflate my tyres. [emoji106]

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave
MK III 2012 Murranji,  MY14 auto rok (VW Amarok)

"You don't know, what you don't know"

Cheers dave

wrose

Quote from: The Hueys on July 03, 2015, 06:54:17 AM
Craig,
That would mean i would have an excuse to go away for a weekend, i like that idea.

I'm getting the prototype bracket laser cut and bent up at the moment, i'll post some pics of the completed bracket and the final install.
I have had some interest in the brackets from guys on the Landcruiser forum, so I'll work out a price to get a few cut and bent all at the same time, i'll keep you posted. 

wrose

I plugged the compressor in today, I thought I'd top up the kids bike tyres.
It has a pressure switch to turn it on and off, so when you're not putting air in the pressure switch cuts in and it turns the compressor off, and yes it does pull 50A as I blew a 50A fuse.
I think before when I used it, I must have had a circuit breaker under the bonnet.

I'll still connect an ammeter and measure the amps at different pressures whilst inflating tyres.

joga

"1st time I used the fridge plug it blew the fuse, so I started using the merit plug on top of the fridge bin on the Tvan. Worked well several times, then blew the 30 amp fuse."

Just realised that the first times I used the SC compressor was to transfer fuel from Gerry cans. The fuses blew the first time I used it to inflate tyres, and they were trailer tyres only, not 4wd tyres.
Joe & Gay