News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Started by chris_a, September 08, 2015, 08:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_a

Have been looking at the Fobo TPMS system on line and was wondering if anyone has experience using this product. Also wondered if it might work on the wheels of my Tvan - concerned that the Bluetooth range might not be enough to get a reliable signal through to the tow vehicle.

http://www.fobotyre.com.au/assets/full/fobotyre_black.jpg

Also wonder how robust they are on the likes of the Birdsville Track with  the increased chance of being hit by flying rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami

debian

Hi Chris

We have a Sensatyre system so different to the one you're looking at, not bluetooth...the antenna is external and is tucked up inside the rear bumper bar (we hope protected from stone strike). The pressure sensors are inside the tyres mounted on the rims (so protected). Just have to be careful that they don't get damaged while tyres are being changed. We have no problem picking up signal from all 8 sensors (tow vehicle & Tvan and their spares). We have found that being able to monitor tyre pressure and temperature on the run is reassuring and paranoia-removing.

Ian
Ian & Deb
2014 Pajero
2013 Tvan Murranji

Alien

I've just fitted a Sensatyre system also, same as debian's I went for internal sensors on all 9 wheels.
There are a few comments on other forums I frequent about TPMS'.
A brief outline of the sensor positions I found...

Some folk have found that when using the cap type sensors they rub on the rim due to their weight.
There was a couple of times the rubber valve stem had leaked, also due to the weight of the sensor.
I've seen pictures off foam being fitted over them to stop the rubbing on the corrugated roads.

There is an internal sensor that replaces the valve stem.
These usually get broken on tyre removal.

The other internal sensors are held on with a large hose/jubilee clamp.
It mounts in the hollow of the rim, as Ian said with care tyres can be changed.
I have all of mine close to the valve on all 9 rims to make it easier for the tyre fitters.
Kyle & Coral.
Propulsion unit-  Land Rover Defender.
Accommodation- '06 Canning Tvan.

chris_a

I have previously had a factory fitted TPMS on a 120 series Prado. Sensors were internal and I had no issues when tyres were replaced / repaired. It monitored the four tyres on the road plus the spare and not the Tvan and its spare.

The Fobo system has the advantage of being easy to set up as I can do it myself without the need to remove all the tyres from rims, etc. They also seem to be able to monitor more than just the four vehicle tyres (a point I am checking with the manufacturer). Not just sure how they will cope with remote bush tracks.

Chris,
Tvan Mk II Tanami

boomer52

I have a tyre dog 6 wheel monitoring system. They come with a relay that is mounted in the back (of the prado). Have taken it to the Cape, Oodnadatta track, through the Tanami and also the Kimberley, and have had no problems with the caps or the performance of the product. Get a flat and put one of the spares on and put the cap from the punctured tyre on,  and your still monitoring the six tyres on the road.
Den & Mem Wright
Adelaide SA
2018 Prado GX
Topaz 2 2014

MYT150

I have the Inawise TPMS http://www.inawise.com/tpms203.html, it monitors up to 12 tyres. But it is easy to swap which tyre is where and it picks up all tyres easily with the external antenna mounted underneath the rear of the vehicle. And when the Tvan is disconnected it doesn't give any alarm that it can't pick up the tyres which is handy. It also has a button to press to set the pressure and it automatically sets the tyres to the pressure it detects the next time it picks them up, so safes a lot of time when airing down or up.
Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

thewelshgang

G'day

X 2 for the Inawise TPMS as per Aiden's post.

I've had it installed for a while now and it is reliable, easy to use and easy to reset when altering tyre pressures. It monitors both pressure and temp. which is great. It even picked up a dragging brake shoe that overheated the drum and wheel !!! Took a while to work out the problem, I initially thought it was a bearing failure  :o

I monitor every tyre I have onboard even the spares.

Cheers Nige

The Welsh Gang, TVAN Canning MKll, 200 Series Landcruiser, Mods Everywhere ! My No.1 Rule... Always have a trip locked in & one on the go :-)

Patrol Dude

Hi Chris, mate check out - Pressure Pro -

http://www.pressureproaustralia.com.au/pressureprobenefits.htm

This is the second TPMS unit I have used. The first was crap, this one is excellent. Prior to buying this one a did a LOT of research and read several comparison - Explor Oz had an excellent write up on a number of different units and the number one challenge was getting the units to pick up the camper. The Pressure Pro unit smashed the test and came first for distance.
Unit sits under or over your sun visor - has an external antenna that screws direct into the unit while on the sun visor. The other excellent features are - automatically reads the pressure and temp when screwed onto the tyre - so no mucking around. Just drew on and forget. This unit also has an excellent locking nut and spanner to keep the units attached. Have traveled many KM over some really bad corrugations and have had no ill effects.
The below testing report was released June 2015.

http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-tyres-and-wheels/tyre-pressure-monitoring

Cheers

Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody

peter_mcc

Another vote for the Sensatyre system. We've got the rim strap mounted transmitters. If you don't want to mount the antenna properly it will work if chucked into the back of the car.

Harry Lissimore

I have Tyredogs fitted on the Isuzu and Topaz and they work well.  The relay which is supposed to be installed under the car somewhere works fine just sitting in the centre console between the front seats. The only issue I had was I had to replace one sensor because the waterproof casing was cracked by a rock, moisture got in and destroyed it.  I have taken these Tyredogs on the Birdsville, Strezlecki and Oodnadatta Tracks and a few other gravel roads and I think they  are OK.  I can't comment on any other brands though.
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

boobook

FWIW here is my take.

1)Do not get an internal one. These are fine for on road vehicles with 4 tyres where you have one spare but for off road they have some major issues.
-If you are carrying more than one spare, after your first puncture you lose TPMS on any tyre you swap out.
-While a tyre shop may not damage an internal one, you could easily do it while on the side of a track in the middle of nowhere.
-While internal ones would certainly be more accurate, for the temperature, an external one is good enough, and temperature  is a by product of low pressure so is a lagging indicator.
-I don't like the fact that you have to replace some brands when they have flat batteries. Been there done that!!

2)The display is not anywhere as near as important as the alarms. The pressure goes up and down all the time and you don't need to look at them unless you get an alarm.

3)If you get a Bluetooth one, make sure your phone is Bluetooth 4.0 compatible ( generally phones less than about 2 years old)
Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

choppadick

We are using the Doran TPMS on all tyres at the moment, water proof, read temp & pressure & will monitor 32 tyres with this system. The mines & trucking companies are using them. They have saved tyres for us so have paid for themselves. Traveled the Canning STR , Madigam Line & all roads in between. If you check with a lot of the systems they will not take being immersed in water so check them out. These screw onto the  valve inlet externally & we have not had any issues even tho they look bulky. Its your choice so good hunting.
Dick & Prue Heywood Vic
Nissan Patrol 2002 4.2TD Ute
3" exhaust Front diff LOKKA, Tilt tray, Coil-Rite airbags,Runva winch,DoranTMS.
2011 Tvan Murranji MK111

chris_a

Lots of great feedback. In doing my research, I've found that you have to be careful that the sensors and unit can monitor down to low pressures - some units do not deal with pressures below 23 psi. It is never clear from the specifications whether a booster is required to pick up sensors mounted on a Tvan in tow.  Sensors that can survive being immersed in water are rarely obvious from the specifications. Ease of resetting the tyre pressures when dropping or raising them for the conditions is unclear - you have to read the user manuals where available and work it out for yourself.

Will continue my research and see where it takes me.

Chris,
Tvan Mk II Tanami

peterjantvan

Hi Chris
On a recent corners trip we went from Mungarannie to  Poeppels to Birdsville and changed the tyre pressures a few times - got sick of the changing of the monitor so packed it up and left the sensors off.
I will have to see how low the sensors go - we got down to 15 lbs all round.
Need to check the specs and do a trial.
We have a Davies Craig tyre guard 400

Peter
Peter and Jan
Melbourne
Nissan Patrol Wagon GU 2005 - 6.5 V8 Diesel Manual with lots of extras
2011 Tvan Murranji Mark 3 with some mods to make it even better than great

MYT150

Chris,

Can;t speak for any other unit but the Inawise unit I have with the "standard pressure" sensors will go from 8psi to 101psi, and as it is inside the tyre it is water proof. there is one button to press to set or reset the pressure points for all tyres, it will then take the next pressure from each tyre as the new baseline, saves having to adjust spares down as I had to with a previous system to stop alarms.

As each tyre I have is monitored, including the spares, which helped pick up a leaking valve, it doesn't matter if you rotate tyres as it is easy to move the sensors in the back of the unit, if you want to. As regards picking up the Tvan tyres it does it easily with the the aerial located underneath the back of the tow car, I have had it pick them up as I reverse down my driveway slowly and the Tvan is parked 20m away.

As regards damage to the sensors when they tyres are changed, I have had no issues and they have been moved from one vehicles wheels to my new vehicles wheels. Once you tell them they are there before hand they take care as they are responsible if they are damaged, and from where they are located it would be hard to accidentally damage them unless they were being careless.

Regards

Aidan
Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel