News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Started by chris_a, September 08, 2015, 08:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter_mcc

The Sensatyre system sounds very similar to the Inawise one. The sensors sit on the rim with a strap so they are protected from water and damage. You can set the pressure limits for all tyres in one go. It's easy to swap tyre positions on the monitor if you change/rotate them. The antenna can be permanently mounted under the back of the car or temporarily chucked into the back with the cable on the floor.

I know boobook doesn't like internal sensors but to me they seem ideal. You do need one for each wheel used but that also means you can keep track of the spares so they aren't flat when you go to use them. The Sensatyre sensor battery is meant to last 7 years which is long enough for me. Accurately measuring the temperature is one way to set tyre pressures - if it's rising too far then it's probably wrong. They are harder to damage driving along. And when you go to adjust the tyre pressures there is nothing in the way.

Patrol Dude

Have had the Pressure Pro down to the low teens numerous times - never had any issues with them picking up. Had a slow leak in the front left tyre with mud and grit in the bead the sensor worked fine and let me know it was going down. Took the opportunity while we where cruising down one of those lovely long straights prior to the Palmer River Road House to stretch the legs of the patrol - just because we could - I can confirm that the temp sensors on the Pressure Pro also work very well [emoji6] The most import features of the Pressure Pro are: long range - easily picks up the camper, even when it is not hooked up to the car and is parked nearby!! Automatically sensor the pressure in side so as you do not need to set anything up. Just screw on and forget. Cheers
Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody

chris_a

Found this unit advertised - will check it out once it is released and more information is available.

http://steelmate.com.au/p/9067332/new-6-wheel-diy-tpms-for-4-wheel-vehicletrailer.html

Anyone have experience with Steelmate products?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami

coighty

I have experience with both external (tyre dog) and internal (inawise) TPMS systems on my vehicles.
My clear favourite is the inawise system as it cannot be damaged by anything external to the tyre/rim, be it rocks,sticks, mud, etc...
My tyre dog unit has lost two monitors, the first by just vibration that sheared the whole valve stem off the rim (no warning off a flat tyre as the monitor was somewhere down the road) and the other to a rock or something destroying it.
I have tested the inawise recently on my trip along the Tanami Track, Duncan/Buntine roads and the Gib River Road, and it has performed brilliantly. It picked up both punctures before the tyres had lost too much pressure allowing me to choose where to stop to fix them, easy to set a base line pressure and accurate temperature display.
My unit can monitor up to 12 tyres and has no problems picking up all tyres including the spares with the external antenna. You can change the display order of the tyres by unplugging the receiver chips in the back of the head unit and plug back into the desired position.
Yes you do have to buy new sensors when the batteries die, but I've had to buy two new externals because of damage and loss.
Only thing I hate about the inawise system is the mount is suctioned cupped to the windscreen, no permanent mount for what is a permanent system.
Don.
2010 MKIII Tvan Murranji
1997 Landcruiser 80 series

weonatvan

I have been using the Sensatyre for over four years and was my first experience with a TPMS which I have found the concept to be great by helping to get my pressures correct while cruising the black-top by monitoring temperatures differences/fluctuations.

The things that I don't like about the Sensatyre is for one that it reminds me of a dated 1980's alarm clock, two it's a PITB to re-calibrate after airing up/down, especially if running different pressures and three that when rotating wheels, then aligning them on the monitor you can loose track of which tyre is which and in the past have had to resort to letting air out of each tyre one at a time to locate it. There may be an easier way but I'm not aware of it.

I have been eye-off the Inawise 203 as it looks 'more' modern (haven't seen one in the plastic) in a new modern tug and I really like the idea of at the push of a button that it will automatically set a new base line after adjusting your tyre pressures, which may also be at different pressures.

I down loaded the manual to have a gander and was a little shocked to discover the the unit is rather large at 155mm x 62mm x 23mm.

Too those peeps that already own these units (Inawise 203) would you like to make any further comments, be it good, bad or ugly? 

Cheers 
MK III 2012 Murranji,  MY14 auto rok (VW Amarok)

"You don't know, what you don't know"

Cheers dave

MYT150

Dave,

Yes I have the Inawise 203, and love its features and easy of use after a previous TPMS system. Yes size of the display is probably the only draw back, but I can live with that, as it tucks away on the dash mount to the lower drivers side of the window. It would be nice if they had some type of remote head for it so it could be smaller, but it does need to be the size it is to fit the 12 tyre id chips in it.

I have thought of mounting it somewhere else in the vehicle and only using it for an alert but I like to watch the pressure changes  :D

Regards

Aidan
Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

weonatvan

Quote from: MYT105 on September 20, 2015, 10:58:52 PM
I have thought of mounting it somewhere else in the vehicle and only using it for an alert but I like to watch the pressure changes  :D

Thanks Aidan, yep I to do find it fascinating to see the pressures rise on the 'sunny side' because of the extra heat on the face of the tyres created from the sun. [emoji102] Maybe a 'boy thing'.  [emoji39]

I have also used my TPMS in the past as a guide for increasing my rear tyre pressures from around 50 psi which I thought would have been sufficient to 65 psi purely by watching the temperature increase which is a by-product of side wall flex. Yes I know, I'm at max GVM, like most of us. [emoji22]

Yesterday I cut a piece of styrene the same size as the unit and had a play around with different mounting positions in my tug and I think I have a compromise position. [emoji106]

You don't realise how big it is until you physically see the size, but if all the other features have ticked the boxes then I can live with that.

Thanks again.

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave

Cheers dave

chris_a

Have ordered the Steelmate 6 wheel TPMS (http://steelmate.com.au/p/9067332/new-6-wheel-diy-tpms-for-4-wheel-vehicletrailer.html) and will test it out on a short trip to Cape Conran this weekend and report back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami

weonatvan

Just ordered a Inawise 203 unit as I received a good price from my supplier.

Love the idea of setting a new baseline after adjusting tyre pressures with the push of button and if it's that easy it will make my old unit look prehistoric.

Cheers dave

Cheers dave

weonatvan

Quote from: weonatvan on September 24, 2015, 06:59:14 AM
Just ordered a Inawise 203 unit as I received a good price from my supplier.

Love the idea of setting a new baseline after adjusting tyre pressures with the push of button and if it's that easy it will make my old unit look prehistoric.

Cheers dave

Ok, as @thommo19 may follow the link, here is a follow up after having this unit for several months.

So far it has been great with the best thing being the ease of setting a new baseline after airing up/down as it does it automatically after pressing the reset button, as opposed to manually entering a figure on pretty much every other brand. But I stand to be corrected.

This being our second TPMS definitely gets the thumbs up over its predecessor, so far anyway.  :D   

Cheers dave