News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Replacing AT35 Tow Hitch

Started by Robbo, April 10, 2012, 08:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MYT150

The short draw bar won't make any difference to swapping the hitch. The thing to watch for is the bolt pattern, and if you have an AT35 now then the DO35 should be a straight swap. If you want to try one before you buy I have one in my garage waiting to go on my box trailer once I decide which way I am going with brakes on it, so if you want to check fit it first then happy to help out.

Regards

Aidan
Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

ccol2621

Thanks for the offer Aidan - we would love to take advantage of that   :) It's definitely an AT35  >:((see photo)

We are leaving this afternoon for the Jugiong Tvan rally from home in the Sutherland Shire. Come home Tuesday. I'm not sure how that fits into your plans. I will send you a message with our mobiles, so we can work out something.

Cheers
MKII Canning TVAN - short drawbar.
2014 Prado 150 (facelift diesel auto)

ccol2621

We bought the D035 hitch  from Track Trailer  - easy swap over from the AT 35, which has gladly gone into the bin.
thanks everyone for their guidance & suggestions.
MKII Canning TVAN - short drawbar.
2014 Prado 150 (facelift diesel auto)

Trex

Hi all, just wanting to revive this thread if I can. I'm new to the tvan life having just purchased a 2005 mk2. Its got the original AT35 hitch and while I was all set to go with the new VC Hitchmaster after reading all the comments here I'm keen to get anyone's thoughts on this hitch from Ark: http://www.arkcorp.com.au/p/3418/xo-extreme-off-road-coupling.

What is attractive here is that it utilises a standard 50mm ball, meaning I don't have to buy a new towbar tongue. Its also quite a bit cheaper than Hitch Master and has the same bolt patter as the old AT35.

Keen on other views ?
Landcruiser 100 (HDJ100) towing 2005 TVAN Murranji

Eelezy

Hi mate welcome to tvan land!
You don't need anothet tongue....the do35 hitch bolts straight into the hole when you remove the 50mm ball.
Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

Trex

There's the catch Chris. I also tow a boat and have a standard box trailer so I need the 50mm ball and don't want to have to swap it over each time I tow the van. I initially looked at the DO35 and thought I'just buy a new tongue but then I saw the hitch from Ark and it got me thinking ...

Eelezy

Oh good points!  That arkcorp hitch looks good eh! Interested in seeing what you opt for. I use a separate hitch as I rarely tow a anything bar the tvan....and my tvan hitch is adjustable in height so works well...
Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

Trex

OK, so I finally got round to installing the Ark tow hitch - a direct swap over from the old AT35 just needed some longer bolts. As for ease of use ? well, its just like hooking up a conventional trailer. I've never used the DO35 hitch so I can't comment but this one is dead easy to use, way cheaper than the DO35 and means I don't have to change my towball. The Ark even has a locking mechanism that ensures it won't let go. Below is a photo of the setup.

Trex

robstevens

Before we bought our Tvan,. we hired a pop-top van that used an Ark-style ball coupling from Alko:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALKO-OFF-ROAD-COUPLING-2T-TONNE-ELECTRIC-GALV-HITCH-TRAILER-619010/292112311108?epid=1148673675&hash=item4403402344:g:ducAAOSw3xJVdmAj

Boy was this a pain... awful to disconnect, fiddly, and prone to getting stuck. This was the main gripe I had over whole trip from Brisbane to Tassie and back!

Hopefully your Ark towhitch works differently (although it looks disturbingly similar)...

All the best!
Rob

2017 Mk4 (Firetail)
2019 Landcruiser 200 GXL (4.6 petrol)