Author Topic: Looks like Track have some new competition  (Read 10693 times)

Online MYT150

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Outback Tracks
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Looks like Track have some new competition
« on: October 01, 2015, 06:36:03 PM »
Just say this on camper trailer australia mag facebook page
http://www.pioneercampers.com/Products/7/69/Mitchell
Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

Offline FnD+2GS

• Working for the weekends...
    • View Profile
Re: Looks like Track have some new competition
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »
A couple of interesting things there such as a pop up roof but gee it looks very Tvan-ish. 
Fiona and Dave
 D40 V6 Navara, GU IV Patrol and MkII Canning

Offline Buzzster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:23:01 AM »
Looks a little tinny
Buzzster (BuzzRok)
Dave & Chris

Tug: VW Amarok 2014 Dualcab
Living Quarters: 2015 Tvan MK4 Murranji

Offline debian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 07:44:51 AM »
Interesting.

A review on Camper Trailer Australia states 'no packing of canvas required', wonder how it all tucks away. And there is no vinyl floor for the tent section, attaches straight to the hard floor so can you do the quick set up (not deploying the tent)with this camper?

Is it a pity that Track couldn't protect the look of the Tvan for themselves and their customers? Obviously there are enough differences to make it ok but as soon as you see it, you have to think Tvan-like.

Nothing for it but to go and stickybeak /check it out at Leisurefest.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:39:39 AM by debian »
Ian & Deb
2014 Pajero
2013 Tvan Murranji

Offline Young Nomads

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 02:27:53 PM »
Someone copying your manufacturing style & design ..believe it or not..is a compliment..
Newbie's in the market, are admitting they can not do it better, or invent something new...but want to look almost as good as a TVan.
I cant see it going where a TVan can with such ease...It may go there..but not be as pleasurable to tow over crab holes and spinifex.
Track were...and still are innovative and market leaders....
??? Biased ???...absolutely ;D

John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

Offline Mal.W

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »
Looks like it is only available with 6 stud rims. This will stop a lot of Landcruiser Buyers.

Mal
100 series Landcruiser TD, GXV, set up for touring
2015 Mk4 Murranji

Offline HappyTraveller

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Topaz
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 09:06:32 PM »
I've seen it live and it's very good. You can bet it will be at all upcoming camping shows. They've resolved the complaints that I have heard many people talk about with the Tvan. Naturally it will be hard for anyone to improve on the TT suspension which is probably the best around. The suspension is a key reason why I bought a Topaz.
Pioneer's suspension is tried and proven and very effective though. I've seen no complaints since the business was taken over several years ago and the latest designs were released. Pioneer is no johnny come lately. They've been making quality campers in Dandenong for years. As they say on their website, to their knowledge they are the only quality accredited camper trailer manufacturer in Australia. TT makes no claim of such accreditation. That, amongst several other reasons is why I've also bought a Pioneer hard floor camper. In my experience, Pioneer's build quality straight out of the factory is far superior. Certainly nothing tinney or cheap about them and also very good to tow.
Topaz II & TVan Mk5
Landcruiser 200

Offline ross mcewan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »
Looks really interesting, I would be most interested in the weights etc.  1485L capacity in the front box is a bit frightening, what are the towball and overall weights? 

Has anyone seen the full specifications?  The devil is always in the detail

I saw the new Travellander flip over at Penrith.  Another good looking unit that will create strong competition in that market segment.

Competition keeps everybody on their toes!!!

Offline The Hueys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 01:26:37 PM »
Looks the goods. I'm surprised it has taken as long as it has for someone to have a really good go at producing a Tvan style camper, sure there have been a few others try but all I've seen have been fairly lacking overall. Will have to reserve my judgement until I see one close up but good luck to Pioneer, it's a tough segment but a little competition can't hurt.

Reading the specs it is physically about the same size as a Tvan but a much heavier TARE weight and you can assume (looking at the axle specs) it will run to about 2000kg loaded. Which will be a good 500kg more to lug around, especially in sandy conditions. It would be hard to put all that they have into it and keep the weight down, I'm sure if Track wanted to add a pop up roof, integrated floor, massive front box, etc they could but with the same weight penalty. It's hard to get something for nothing, there will always be a trade off.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:35:21 PM by The Hueys »
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

Offline HappyTraveller

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Topaz
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »
As always, it depends how much you want to load it up. I guess when you have lots of space it's tempting to put more in.

If you option up the Tvan with extra storage etc which comes as standard on the Mitchell, it's weight gets much closer to the 1320kg of the Mitchell. The Mitchell's towball weight is listed as 145kg which is near enough to the same as the Tvan without the extras.

I reckon its good to have another option for all the different priorities we campers have :)
Topaz II & TVan Mk5
Landcruiser 200

Offline Jeffr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »
I already own a perfectly good TVan, a durable, versatile all terrain camper-van which sets a benchmark against which Pioneer and others seek to match.

Good luck to them, but for me the TVan is tried and proven, so let's see if the Mitchell is competitive over time in the real world of off-road campers...
Jeff & Judy

Offline debian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:29:36 AM »
Checked out the Pioneer Mitchell at Leisurefest yesterday. A girl there set it up for us, looked easy enough and was quick. She had help to pack it up but said she does do it by herself. The rear hatch opens downward to the ground and then folds out to become the hardfloor, canvas is all attached to the floor and the mouth of the hard section so pretty instant and no fitting required anywhere (but then obviously there is no way you can have the ‘Tvan quick set-up’ – the tent has to be deployed). Then another smaller section folds upward to become the hard roof section of the tent area. Then just like the Tvan a bow is pushed out and 2 tent poles fitted to hold up the tent section. (Not sure how heavy it would be to lift the floor with wet canvas attached when packing up - there were gas struts though). The canvas doesn't come near the bed. There is no sidenet or overhead net storage but there is storage at the ‘pointy end’ of the bed. The bed also lifts up on struts for access to underneath it. The windows in the hard section open outward. As per the info on the web, storage outside and for the kitchen is good, also the hot water service is nice. Pioneer have a good reputation and although the Mitchell seemed ok with quality and most likely is a good unit, have to say that on first impression it didn’t seem to be up to Tvan quality - but perhaps hard not to be biased  ::) We noted that the roof section that opens upward seemed a bit light in construction and flexed noticeably while setting/packing-up. The decklegs are clamped using a screw like Track's old decklegs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:26:52 PM by debian »
Ian & Deb
2014 Pajero
2013 Tvan Murranji

Offline joga

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 10:30:23 AM »
Had a look at the set up video.
That tent roof looks a bit too level to cope with a decent rainfall, let alone a tropical downpour.
Joe & Gay
2016 Prado shoved along by a 2014 Murranji

Offline Mal.W

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 08:03:41 AM »
I also checked out the Mitchell yesterday, I agree the roof in the tent section is very flat so could be an issue in heavy rain. It doesn't have a tropical roof and would be hard to retro fit your own. It doesn't appear to have the same ground clearance as the Tvan.

It does have lots of different kitchens available, including a swing out stove.
Wheel bearings and stub axles are huge.
The push out windows would let in more air than the optional Tvan windows.

Still think we will hang on to our early Mk2 for a few years yet. Lets see if the Camper Hire companies pick them up and how they cope with "renter use"

cheers
Mal
100 series Landcruiser TD, GXV, set up for touring
2015 Mk4 Murranji

Offline Young Nomads

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 10:40:35 PM »
I also checked out the Mitchell yesterday, I agree the roof in the tent section is very flat so could be an issue in heavy rain. It doesn't have a tropical roof and would be hard to retro fit your own. It doesn't appear to have the same ground clearance as the Tvan.

It does have lots of different kitchens available, including a swing out stove.
Wheel bearings and stub axles are huge.
The push out windows would let in more air than the optional Tvan windows.

Still think we will hang on to our early Mk2 for a few years yet. Lets see if the Camper Hire companies pick them up and how they cope with "renter use"

cheers
Mal

Further to the roof... in the Mitchell the roof is not as high as the Tvan..heat would be trapped at the lower roof level.The canvas is quite dark too.
There is no way you can pull up for the night without having to put up the canvas..something  which would be a major issue with us.
Water may also collect at the bottom edge of the pop top roof
The new mk 4 kitchen & front box are much larger now as we all know, so there is no significant difference  there either..
It is a nice try, but we would not consider one over a TVan

John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.