Author Topic: Isuzu mu-x  (Read 8328 times)

Offline jethrotull1510

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Topaz
Isuzu mu-x
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »
I am thinking of upgrading to a new tow tug. The old Prado(03 1kz-te manual) is starting to cost money and struggle towing my Topaz(close to 300,000 ks).
I'm looking at the Isuzu mu-x, have read good reports and spoke to people who own them and they are wrapped in them. But I am worried whether it will tow a fully loaded Topaz off road.
 Not real sure about the new Ford Everest or the new Toyota Fortuner, not interested in a Mitsubishi.
Does anybody tow a Topaz with a Isuzu.
Cheers
  Geoff.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:35:36 PM by jethrotull1510 »
Geoff & Chris.
2015 Isuzu MU-X & 2010 Topaz.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Online Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
Re: Isuzu mu-x
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 04:21:29 PM »
Yes my Isuzu MU-X LST tows our Topaz. Probably get about 11 - 16 L/100Km depending on speed and wind strength and direction.  The MU-X tows well   on dirt roads -I have just been out to Cameron Corner, down the Strezlecki, up the Oodnadatta track and through the painted desert to Coober Pedy, then up the central highway stopping at Ayers Rock, Alice Springs, Macdonnel ranges, Hermannsberg, Camooweal, Townsville and back to Brisbane.  The topaz was at its max weigh of 2200 kg (Probably 100-200Ks over) and the Isuzu had 270 kg on the towbar with 4 full jerrys in the Topaz. I had air bags fitted and I run them at about 30 PSI.  Haven't put the Topaz through hard offroad yet though.

The only issue I have is that sometimes the gearbox is hunting for the right gear between 4th and 5th.  Sometimes If it is constantly changing, then I will just hold it in 4th or hold it in 5th for as long as it wants to be.  However I have never had an automatic 4WD so I don't really know what is right or wrong.  When going along a straight stretch AT 100KM/hR, its in 5th but a slight incline and it will change to 4th. I also use cruise control.
However, the Isuzu is perhaps the best 4WD I have ever had.  I have had 2 pajeros for 0ver 30 years and I still have my 1977 SWB Series 3 rag top Landy that I bought new (but there's not much comparison there).  The Isuzu drives well, is very comfortable, economical, great value for money and the Isuzu Ute service guys do a great job.
Hope that helps.

Harry   
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST

Offline jethrotull1510

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:09:20 PM »
Hi Harry
Thanks for the reply, I've really had some good feedback on the mu-x and I think you have just made my mind up to get one.
We did virtually the same trip as you but took the Tanami across to the Kimberley's and did the Gibb River road.
Thanks again for your input.
Cheers
 Geoff.
Geoff & Chris.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Offline thewelshgang

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 07:24:09 PM »
G'day Harry and Geoff,

Although I've got a different vehicle, I just thought I'd share the "auto" part with you.

I have a 100 Series Landcruiser and find that when towing I pretty much leave the auto in 4th otherwise it will hunt back and forward from 5th to 4th etc. I get the same economy and the car seems happier rev wise.

If I'm on the freeway or a long flat stretch I can leave it in 5th.

Cheers
Nige :)
The Welsh Gang, TVAN Canning MKll, 200 Series Landcruiser, Mods Everywhere ! My No.1 Rule... Always have a trip locked in & one on the go :-)

Offline NichBails

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:52:57 PM »
My Company relies on reliable offroad vehicles and we do a lot of remote outback work in SA. We had 3 hilux's and 2 prados and a year ago we changed our fleet to colorados (same as the mux) and have found that our operating costs have plummeted. Our staff are extremely happy with them and they have proven to be very reliable and low cost to run.
Bruce & Lynda
Landrover Disco 4
Topaz II Dec 14
Australia we love

Offline Jacko

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Not yet but interested in one
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 07:01:04 PM »
The Colorado has a different motor and transmission to the Isuzu , Colorado 2.8 , 6 speed auto , Isuzu 3Lt , 5 speed auto . The Colorado has quite  a bit more power , Colorado  147kw , 500Nm , Isuzu 130Kw and 380Nm .

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:24:26 AM by Jacko »

Offline joga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 02:20:27 AM »
You seem to contradict yourself there Jacko.

Which one has the more power?
Joe & Gay
2016 Prado shoved along by a 2014 Murranji

Offline Jacko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 09:15:04 AM »
Oops sorry , the Colorado has the most power and torque. 

Offline NichBails

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 09:48:36 AM »
Thanks Jacko - I didn't know that. The only problems that we have had with the colorados are overcharging which caused to the batteries to overheat and fail - this was fixed by holdens under warranty. I believe that this also occurred in the dmuxs but this has now been resolved in the new models.
Bruce & Lynda
Landrover Disco 4
Topaz II Dec 14
Australia we love

Offline Jacko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
I bought a new Dmax in Jan this year , a SX Extra Cab 5 speed auto , I'm have already broken a CV
I was very surprised how easily it did break
 I have since discovered I'm not the only one , the CV's seem to be a weak point . It is a bit of a worry l do a lot of 4x4ing in the Vic Highcountry .
My previous vehicle was a 06 Hilux 3Lt D4D , l did pretty much every track in the Highcountry and never broke a CV .

We only tow a Tvan , to be honest if l wanted to tow 2T+ , l would be looking for something with a bit more power .
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:56:37 AM by Jacko »

Offline Dustytrails

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
I believe the Colorado will not deliver full torque in the lower gears. I was told this by an owner who also said you can get it reprogrammed, after market to bypass this setting. This sugests to me that the drive train might be at its limit in handing the 500 nm of torque. It's also been said that this is why ute diesels engines are getting smaller, so they don't need to go to the expense of upgrading drivetrain.

Offline jethrotull1510

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 05:22:20 PM »
I bit the bullet and bought a Isuzu MU-X LSU auto with a factory towbar, didn't want leather seats,or a roof mounted dvd screen. Had a TJM steel bull bar and a Airtec snorkel and a redarc towpro fitted so far.
I've towed the Topaz with it once to test it out( about 10klms return trip). It towed great,it did sit in 4th for about 2kms once we were on the highway but eventually went into 5th,have to see how it goes on a long trip and what the fuel consumption is going to be,so far it is brilliant on fuel not towing,8.15l/100klm on a trip to Brisbane, with only 500klms on the clock.
Thanks for all the replies.
Cheers
           Geoff.
Geoff & Chris.

Online Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 06:47:24 PM »
I agree.  My MU-X LST is probably the best 4WD I've ever had! Yet to put it through its paces yet, although I have towed the Topaz for about 10,000+ Kms.

Offline hulbyw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
I know this is not about a MUX, however relevant to some comments above. I have been told that 5th gear on an auto is a small gear cog and not designed to take the strain of towing. Our Prado owners manual actually advises to tow in 4th. We tow our Tvan in whatever gear is appropriate to the terrain but I only use 5th when on the flat or downhill, and manually select higher gears when going up hills, even modest ones. I have a scan gauge which shows the trans temp and there is a very rapid rise in temp if I just let the auto make up its own mind.
Cheers...Wayne

Online Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 10:57:39 AM »
Thanks Wayne.  I'll certainly take that on board.  We have just driven from Brisbane to just outside Melbourne on our way to Tasmania and being  conscious of the gear changing, staying in 4th for longer periods when its a bit hilly but then also trying to  hold it in 5th for longer periods than it normally would in automatic while on the flat. It eventually changes to 4th but stays in 5th for longer.  Is there anything wrong with that strategy?

I am aware that Toyoto manuals say not to tow in top gear and I have looked extensively in Pajero (my last 2 cars) and the Isuzu manuals and nowhere does it say to tow in a lower gear.  I think I even asked the Isuzu people and they said just let the car make up its own mind.

Very interested in your comments.

Harry