News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Isuzu mu-x

Started by jethrotull1510, October 26, 2015, 03:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacko

I have a Dmax with the 5 speed auto , l watch the auto temp with a Scan Gauge 2 , it get pretty hot
I will be fitting a extra cooler .

joga

G/day all,

My wheels are not quite up to yours - 2000 Hilux manual - but my mate assured me that the 5th gear shaft had good support at both ends.

Departed Darwin area on 15th Dec to visit family for Christmas. Before reaching Katherine (300km) had a terrible noise underneath.

Stopped, checked if anything visual, Nil. Started again slowly. Noise came back in 5th gear.

So stayed out of 5th for the rest of the trip.

No towing in 5th in future unless down a good hill.

Happy New Year to all
Joe & Gay
2016 Prado shoved along by a 2014 Murranji

jethrotull1510

Hi all
  When I had the manual Prado, I would only tow in 4th gear, because the 5th gear in the Prado box is on the outside of the support plate and their is only bearings in the plate itself.
If you continue to tow in fifth you will find those gears on the ground after the box has exploded.
I haven't tow the Topaz a great distance with the MU-x yet, but I did notice it did stay in 4th for a long time before dropping into 5th.
Hope you enjoy Tassie Harry.
Cheers
   Geoff.
Geoff & Chris.
2015 Isuzu MU-X & 2010 Topaz.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Eelezy

Just to clarify one of Harry's earlier comments re toyota's towing in fifth, the new toyota V8 manual gearbox on the 70 series models now have  a true 5th gear as part of the box and that can be used for towing at any time. Mind you, we always towed in fifth with both the 60 and 80 series wagons we have owned and no issues at all over hundreds of thousands of kilometres ! My current 76 series v8 wagon gets pretty good economy for such a big heavy square vehicle, down as low as 11 litres per hundred in the Simpson in high range slow revving, but towing I use around 15-18 per hundred in hilly country.
Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

Big Unit

The MU-X sounds appealing, does anyone have some photos of their adventures towing with the MU-X hooked up to the Topaz.
I am considering buying a MU-X for towing my Topaz

hulbyw

I would go with what the dealer says. I just know that on the Toyota, towing my Tvan in 5th can often bring up the trans temp if it is at all hilly
Cheers

Big Unit

Update, bit late but I bought the MUX LSU new in 2016 the 2nd generation with reversing camera. I have towed the Topaz many times now through many different conditions. I have fitted air bags on the rear coils for towing.
Last tow trip I did this hot summer fuel averaged over 1800km was 11.5L/100km. Outside temp ranged from 30 to 42 degrees Celsius. With climate control on  MUX engine temp remained at normal operating temperature at all times. We traveled to the Ulan area and national parks on tar, dirt roads and into the high ranges with steep inclines and declines. Forded a flooded river, not very high just below knee level.
I am very pleased with this 4WD, it is a great iron work horse.

Chuin

I know I'm late to the conversation but I'll add my endorsement - the MUX is just a great workhorse; gets the job done without frills. the only 2 complainst i had was the size of the fuel tank - now fixed with a LR fuel tank fitted - and the seats are uncomfortable after 3-4 hours (an excuse to stop and smell the roses)
2018 Topaz Savannah/2014 Isuzu MU-X