News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

My ex RAAF Tactical Trailer camper build

Started by Psimpson7, April 14, 2012, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser 105Tvan

Hi Pete,

Just in relation to your tyre mount under the trailer.
And I like the CAD stuff as well.  Goes a long way towards getting an idea of the result, before you start.

Question is:  How do you plan on operating the winch and give the tyre something to rest against/tightened up to?  What type of winch would you use?
From your drawing, the tyre is sitting inside the chassis rails.  Is there a gap over the Chassis on the underside of the floor panel?

Obviously, the skinny standard wheel and tyre would be the better option for this application. 
Ground clearance becomes a real issue with off road work.  Especially if you were going to be serious about it.
Touring shouldn't be a problem with it though.

Hope you have great enjoyment from all this.  And your family thank you properly, by enjoying it with you.

Robert
Cruiser 105Tvan.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Psimpson7

Quote from: Cruiser 105Tvan on April 16, 2012, 02:38:57 PM

Question is:  How do you plan on operating the winch and give the tyre something to rest against/tightened up to?  What type of winch would you use?

I have a Toyota Winch of some sort here. It's actually quite a neat little part, but at the moment, I have decided for how often I am likely to need to remove the spare, my prototype wont have a winch to lift it up. I am just going to lift it into place. I do have another version modelled up with the provision for the winch which I may do down the track.

From your drawing, the tyre is sitting inside the chassis rails.  Is there a gap over the Chassis on the underside of the floor panel?

Yes, there is a gap of 25mm between the top surface of the crossmember tube and the floor.

Ground clearance becomes a real issue with off road work.  Especially if you were going to be serious about it.
Touring shouldn't be a problem with it though.

One thing it wont have is an easy life... ;) This is the main tow car. When the wheel is up under there, there is really no risk of it getting caught. I will try and get a pic of it up there later on. As you say the skinny standard 750/16s are good for that.

Hope you have great enjoyment from all this.  And your family thank you properly, by enjoying it with you.

Thanks very much.

Rgds
Pete

Psimpson7

The water tank arrived yesterday. Set that up with a ratchet strap to hold it in place and got some measurements.

Then modeled up a mount/gaurd and added that to my laser cutting list - hope I measured that correctly! Its all one piece with the exception of the 2 traingular infill pieces:

Eelezy

In relation to the often discussed "spare under the front chassis" question, I would be interested in opinions from members, esp in relation to the Mc2 Eagle camper. Mine has the big swingaway unit on the front..works very well but is sort of in the road when using the bench over the drawbar etc. Remounting it under the chassis would certainly clean up that area, however, some questions:

1. I would think it would be beneficial to take some of the weight off the drawbar, esp when pushing the camper around by hand or even just relieving the weight over the jockey wheel, but will this effect the towing characteristic or "stability" of the camper when set up? (Though I can't see why when our Tvan had a front water tank AND the spare up front, so must have had at least 70kg extra at that [point)

2. In relation to getting hung-up on an obstacle, the Eagle has the jerry holder up front which hangs down quite low at the front of the camper body...I assume it would strike anything well before a tyre tucked up under...(and I use standard skinny wheels on my 80 series and camper)

3. What do other's think of Pete's design for the hanger...what does the one from Track look like? ( I do have a couple of those cruiser winders that might work well...seeking ideas!)

regards
Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

Cruiser 105Tvan

Hi, Chris.

I have photo's on this Forum of the Underslung spare fitted by Track to my June 09 Canning.  Check the gallery out.  You have a choice with wide wheels and front water tanks.  One or the other, not both.  May even be a problem with skinny wheels as well.  That's if you wanted a front tank under there too.

The tyre in my pictures is a 265/75/16, and sits with similar or better clearance to the diffs. on my 105 cruiser.  Which is fitted with the same size wheels & tyres.  The winch used is an 80 series with the chain.  The winches with cable tend to drop their load unexpectedly.  According to the bush telegraph.
Would it be an alternative for the spare to unfold to horizontal as part of it's movement.  Create a pivot at the point were the mounting arm joins the vertical section.  Axle through a bushed sleeve and a pin to hold it maybe.

Hope You work it out, love to see the result.

Robert,
Cruiser 105Tvan.
Robert.

Eelezy

Some great points there thanks. I don't need a front water tank, so just relocating the spare would be good. I will take a look at the photos and have a think...
Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

Psimpson7

Ok update time...

Its like Christmas!

Collected the latest load of cut and folded parts.

trial fit of water tank guard:

Trial fit of battery tray:

Wheel carriers fit perfectly too. Not all of the stuff on the pallet is for the trailer

Proper updates over the weekend when I can spend some time in daylight working on it.

Cruiser 105Tvan

So. now you've had it all delivered.  Is it jigsaw puzzle time yet?
Or are you going to tell us that it's all good?

How many extra bits did they throw in, to cause confusion.  And to find out if you really did work it out first.

Robert
Cruiser 105Tvan.
Robert.

Psimpson7

Sorry for the slow updates... I've been very busy.

Here is the spare under the trailer:

Setting up the water tank:

Still to make the guard.

Pump fitted:

I have had arrive in the last wee the majority of the 12 electrical stuff so I hopefully will make some progress on that shortly aswell.

Eelezy

Once again great photos Pete. Did moving the wheel make a big difference to being able to push the trailer about by hand? How did you find lifting the wheel up to bolt it on the new mount? Keep the photos coming mate...great stuff!
Chris

Psimpson7

Thanks Chris,

With regard to the wheel, not very, but I spend most of my time bolting large items back under my various rovers so am used to lifting akward things!  ;D

Moving it underneath has redcued the noseweight slightly, but the whole trailer really doesnt weigh much anyway. The batteries and a toolbox will add it all back on, and maybe a bit more.

I would say I will have about a 70-100kg nose weight when packed.... I will check when I get that far. I will also weigh the trailer at the end.. I am hoping to be around 850kgs loaded.

Mudflaps are this evenings project then the electrics.

I will try and buy batteries this week too, although I have been saying that for about 2 months! Time just dissapears!

Rgds
Pete.

MeInKiev

Hello Pete,
I have a semi-off-road Camping trailer I am very happy with except for the suspension. It is a Scandica Camplet with a heavier frame than most you see around, but has very short travel compressed rubber type suspension which is just not adequate for outback travel.
I plan to do some medium off-road work with it (mainly desert tracks - lots of corrugations etc.), but I will not be doing any really tough stuff.

I wanted to convert it to to this type of MC2 suspension. The trailer is very light at 310 kg. and 550 kg. max. suggested weight.
I would need to lengthen the draw-bar by about a metre. It has a 60 litre water tank under it. It does not need brakes at all.
Can I make up a suspension to suit it? It would need to be much lighter than the standard MC2 suspension, but could I use the standard lengths of swing-arm etc. to do this? Do I need any permissions for this? What can you tell me?
Regards,
Shane

Topher

Hi Shane
I don't know much about building suspension systems, but the MC2 system is a product of Track Trailer in Melbourne. They might help but I'd be doubtful as it is an important part of their business.
Vista RV also in Melbourne use a version of this suspension.
Keep in mind that the TT and Vista products weigh around 1000kg or more than your trailer so recalculating spring and shocker rates would be essential I'd think.
Good luck with your plans.
Nissan Patrol GU factory turbo 4.2
Mk4 Tvan - Sold
Trakmaster Kimberley
Topaz next?

MeInKiev

Pete, thanks for the reply and contacts. I will try them and if they cannot help me I may just buy the mounting points and design my own.
I like your work here and the trailer looks like a beauty. Happy travelling.
Shane

PJD

Like your build up, nice metal work. How or where do you fined one if these trailer for sale as I am keen on one