Author Topic: Has anyone thought of a complete Kitchen redisgn? ( non Mk4)  (Read 9339 times)

Offline boobook

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Re: Has anyone thought of a complete Kitchen redisgn? ( non Mk4)
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 05:55:01 AM »
Wayne, your idea is similar to what I am thinking.  However I don't like the
Bushtracker design, i think washing the dishes would be an issue if there were 2 people, and it doesn't seem to have any storage. Though I do like the slide out extension.

I looked at the new Tvan kitchen on their website and that looks even closer to what I am thinking.

It has the advantage of having the weight of the sink ( and its water)  close to the Tvan. It would work with 2 people washing up and has more usable storage than the old kitchen. The lids on the sink and stove also give more usable space when they are not in use. Combined with a horizontal slide on the rear side of the kitchen it would allow nearly a full height drawer.

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to build one. The drawers, stove and sink alone is around $1000. I am guessing the sheet metal would be more than that. Maybe $1500.

I think $2000 ish would be a limit for me.
Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

Offline BJL

• View Profile
    • Your Trip Right
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2016, 03:53:13 PM »
I am quite interested in this.
My main concern is the sink. The stainless steel sink is annoying for the lack of insulation and most of all its low height, as well as it is hard to drain completely.
I have bee playing with the idea of pulling out the sink, putting a drawer in its place for plates etc. It would give us more bench space and we could use the plastic tub that would be a better height as well as plated etc being easier to access.
Brett and Jess

Your Trip Right
http://www.yourtripright.com

Offline wrose

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »
Hi Brett and Jess,
That was my reason for thinking about it too.
I'm tending not to have a sink, but having a tap to fill the wash basin.
Wayne and the Rose Circus
(Landcruiser 200 Series TTD GXL)
(2012 Tvan MK III Murranji, wheels & tyres matched to LC200)

Offline boobook

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017, 08:49:21 AM »
I have a renewed interest in this. I showed the pic above to a stainless steel manufacturer and he said it would be $1200- 1500. He can even make / weld sinks in so they are part of the stainless top. That gets more expensive.

Does anyone know how far the Mk 4 kitchen comes out?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:16:34 AM by boobook »
Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

Offline Young Nomads

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
My main concern is the sink. The stainless steel sink is annoying for the lack of insulation and most of all its low height, as well as it is hard to drain completely.
I have bee playing with the idea of pulling out the sink, putting a drawer in its place for plates etc. It would give us more bench space and we could use the plastic tub that would be a better height as well as plated etc being easier to access.

We relocated the tap at the sink. John re- routed it to the side of the sink slide out. Used the same tap fitting. It folds in to clear the side of the hatch, when pushing the kitchen unit back in. We use a plastic bowl, which fits just perfectly (not collapsible as these may hold too much moisture if put away wet)..we can move and wash our dishes anywhere we like and get rid of the dish water as well.

We fill up everything from the side tap. gives great flexibility to the size of the pot or jug we need to use!
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

Offline Pebble

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »
We took our kitchen unit out a long time ago, turned the kitchen area purely into a storage draw, and have been using a coleman dual fuel stove and tables as bench space etc. It works well for us being a family of 4 easier to carry the extra cooking gear to feed us all.

Although now if we decide to upgrade (thinking something like a Topaz) would people even buy a tvan that technically doesn't have a kitchen?
I do know we can order a new kitchen unit from track trailer and bolt it in again without too much hassle. It's actually great that we can buy a whole kitchen unit for our mkIII. But reading this thread it seems like it may not be worth the cost.
Kristina & Terry + 2 skid lids
2013 TVan Canning - sold in 2016, now gone to the dark side...(caravan)
2014 Landcruiser Dual Cab 70

Offline Young Nomads

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »

Hi.

Re the non insulation of the sink. Get some rubberized paint(spray on available I believe) and apply a generous amount to the underside of the sink. Will work a treat. You can use the rest for. on the underside of your car/ Tvan as stone protection. The existing protection does wear away after a while.
Also..for the drainage issue. Just buy one of those highly absorbent cloths. They dry quickly!.
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

Offline Heifer Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2017, 09:50:24 PM »
We took our kitchen unit out a long time ago, turned the kitchen area purely into a storage draw, and have been using a coleman dual fuel stove and tables as bench space etc. It works well for us being a family of 4 easier to carry the extra cooking gear to feed us all.

Although now if we decide to upgrade (thinking something like a Topaz) would people even buy a tvan that technically doesn't have a kitchen?

We did the same thing to our kitchen and it works a whole better and has way more storage than the supplied kitchen. Having fixed burners limits flexibility and I can't understand why you would waste all that space with a built in sink. I would never go back.

However I still have the original kitchen stored in the rafters of my garage in case I ever want to sell the Tvan as I can guarantee that whoever buys it will want the original. Same goes for the 2nd water tank and original drawbar setup I'll be removing shortly. It all takes up a lot of space to store stuff we'll never use again but I think I'd better hang on to it.

No plans to sell though...

Offline Frankrhona

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »
That was my reason for thinking about it too.
I'm tending not to have a sink, but having a tap to fill the wash basin.

We remove our sink in 2014 and replaced the space with a drawer. We wash up in a rectangular bucket at a good height and dispose of the dish-washing water away from the working area. Very happy. Details in this thread:
http://www.tracktrailerforums.com/index.php?topic=973.msg6840#msg6840

Only addition is we have a dish draining mat to stop the dishes sliding off the stainless steel bench top.
Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew & Clare
2005 ZD30 Patrol
2006 Canning Tvan

Offline Shaker

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »
To be honest we find the kitchen to be adequate, as far as water getting cold in the sink we hadn't noticed, we put hot water in, do the dishes & then drain the dirty water.

Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

Offline Eelezy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »
To be honest we find the kitchen to be adequate, as far as water getting cold in the sink we hadn't noticed, we put hot water in, do the dishes & then drain the dirty water.
We are also happy with the existing sink/kitchen. We use an old washing machine drain hose plugged onto the Tvan sink drain then into an old bucket to be disposed of away from the Tvan.
Chris and Sue
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

Offline Peleroda

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2017, 09:37:31 AM »
We have a Coleman collapsible sink which we use when we have a small quantity of dishes. It just sits in the existing sink. I have attached a length of drainage hose from Bunnings to the sink outlet which we drain into a bucket and tip out. The hose is flexible enough that you can push it up and wrap it around the outside of the sink to store it whil travelling. If we get extravagant with dinner and have a lot of dishes then we use the main sink. To speed up the washing process and avoid water going cold we wipe all dishes clean with paper towel/ tissues/ toilet paper (unused!!!) which then goes in the fire. This gives you less to wash off plates etc. We have a chopping board that fits over the sink hole if needed for extra bench space.
Cheers
Peter
Peter & Lee Ann
T-Van & Triton Combo
2010 T-Van Murranji Mk111 & MN Triton