News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

How to fix swift stove auto shut-off

Started by luke, December 26, 2015, 07:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

Unfortunately the first time we went to use our swift stove it didn't work.  The small burner worked as expected, however the gas wouldn't stay on to the large burner. 

The burner would light fine when pushing down the knob (manual), however the flame would go out as soon as you lifted your hand.  We did manage to get it to stay on, however this required holding the knob down for nearly 4 minutes.  (normally up to 5 seconds is plenty)

After getting on to swift, they gave me the advice below which was an immediate (and incredibly easy) fix.  Unfortunately if you're having the same problem and this doesn't fix it, you'll need to replace the thermocouple (swift can express post these if required)

The issue is that if the sleeve has moved, it won't push the electromagnet down far enough, and it won't latch on with the thermocouple.

Steps:
  - Remove knob (it just pulls off)
  - loosen the grommet screw (highlighted in yellow)
  - move the sleeve down (only 1mm at a time) (highlighted in green)
  - re-tighten grommet and test burner
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

boobook

Thanks Luke, I have that problem, Can't wait to try the fix.
Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

Harry Lissimore

I just rammed a bit of paper into the knob so it pushed the rod in further and that worked perfectly.
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

luke

QuoteI just rammed a bit of paper into the knob
Thanks Harry.

I actually tried that first after a bit of googling but it didn't work.  After playing with the sleeve above, the sleeve on the newer swift actually prevents the shaft from pushing down any further. (It seems to be the sleeve  itself that makes contact)

The paper will work if it's the physical knob causing the issue by hitting on the shroud / bench top before the shaft is fully depressed.  Easy way to test this is just to remove the knob and push the shaft down by hand.  If it works, then it's a knob issue.
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

Slick

Great info Luke! Thanks for sharing.I have an intermittent problem with one of my burners but I've always put it down to operator error ;D

Vince
Vince & Sandy
2005 GUIV TD42Ti
2011 TVan Murranji

blueyfrost

The big burner stopped working on our stove over Easter and i tried this method last night to fix and hey presto all good again. It did take about 5 attempts to get the position of the collar on the shaft just right.
Thanks Luke for the tip.
Nick & Sarah
Ford Ranger twin cab & 2009 MK11 Tanami

RAR110

Thread revival.

Very useful info for fixing my Mk2 stove. Thanks.
TVan Mk2 & RAAF Tactical Trailer