Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Topaz 2 Water Leaks into Front Storage

Started by Peace, February 07, 2016, 04:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peace

G'day,
I need some help here big time
My Topaz has had ongoing leaks since I bought it a year ago and whenever I fix one area, another starts to leak :(
So I've had typical 'water under bed leak' that a lot of owners are experiencing, but managed to fix that by resealing the decorative exterior panels. Then I had the water leak around windows, which I fixed with more sealant along window edges.
Lately I've got one persistent leak into the front storage compartment, that I just can't seem to remedy?!
Even the team at TT couldn't fix it despite sealing just about every edge and rivet in the vicinity.

I am starting to think it's the rubber sealant letting water in from the side storage panel... where the external fridge sits.

Any similar experiences and advice would be appreciated??

I'd like to one day stop telling curious fellow travelers "The Topaz is decent, but for $80,000 you'd expect it not to leak"... but the leaks don't stop and I'm not getting any solutions... so I can only tell them the truth

HappyTraveller

Yes, water leaks are frustrating.
I fixed two leaks in the front box.

1: Water was leaking in through the back top of the large storage box (opposite side to the fridge box area). I gouged out the sealant along the seam where the front wall of the cabin meets the top of the fridge box. It was for about 300mm from the outer edge inwards. Also up from that point, for about 300mm along the seam where the thicker aluminium trim (with the handle cut out) is attached to the bodywork. I used masking tape on the edges to keep everything tidy and applied new sealant into the seams. That stopped water dripping down at the back of the large storage box door to the floor and running into the front storage box.

2: I had water dripping in past the rubber seals around the 2 front doors that open forwards. It wasn't getting in between the seal and the door, but was getting in behind where the seals fit onto the bodywork. I removed the seals and applied sealant into the groove where they press onto the bodywork and then reinstalled the seals.

Those two fixes solved my water problems in front box area. Hope it helps you.

Andrew
TVan Mk5
Trakmaster Pilbara Extreme
Landcruiser 200

Auscgu

Pearce

Tiny House had water leaks in the front box and was leaking in multiable locations
Note my Topaz 2 is a 2013 van and the box design has been revised on the newer models

The leaks where in both fridge boxes and the front storage compartments accessed from the 2 doors
All the seals where removed and sealant added and the seals refitted
The bottom of both boxes had the mounting plate rivets removes and sealed then refitted and sealed
All the rivets where sealed and the box to body joint sealed
All the joints around the Fridge doors and front storage compartment where sealed
The right hand fridge box door had a new compression lock modified and fitted to increase seal tension
The right hand box had the door support removed and sealed then refitted

This whole process took 3.5 weeks to fix with the help of tracks in Melbourne
The work was carried out by Armadale 4wd Service Centre in Perth
I have had no leaking in the boxes since the repair

I have dust leaks in other areas to sort out but again they are in the typical locations

Auscgu

Pearce I found the front box leaking past the seals

The seal for the front storage box is still leaking water so I discussed the issue with Dicko at the Tvan/Topaz trip
Dick has replaced his storage box seals with a seal like the entrance door
A trip to Clarke rubber for a new seal
The seal is Pinchweld Lge Side Blister 16mm x 12mm

I have fitted the new seal and the door is tight to lock
The new seal is visible above the door and should force the water around the seal
The next rain storm should be the proof in the pudding

I have taken a picture of the old seal and you can see the water flooding the seal

Auscgu

The new seal has been fitted to the storage box

The profile of the new seal is shown in the image
Sorry about the the blurred image but you get the idea

Peace

Thanks for all your insights and suggestions.

I have done everything and more to seal these leaks, but the problems continue :(

I am at a lose how an $85,000 investment can have such reoccurring problems and is now covered in silicon. I am taking it back to Track Trailer for a front end rebuild or will be trading it in for something more suitable.

robo7_sydney

Hi,

We had same issue with new Topaz purchased Feb 2016. I wasn't convinced water was coming from seals so I ended up putting a camera inside front compartment, closing it and then switching on hose pipe over compartment and was very lucky to capture leak on camera. Water was coming in from the front screw - see pics. Once this was established then Track told us that sometimes gas screw driver that puts these screws in runs out of gas and so not enough pressure to tighten it & we took it to a RV place and got it sorted. No leaks since then! They told us with travel on dirt roads they can also come loose so worth getting them tightened from time to time. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Lissimore

I'll certainly check that out Robo7.  I suspect that I'm getting water in as things have been damp and mildewed in there and I wasn't sure if it was opening the hatches when it was raining or putting damp wheel chocks in there or a leak.  The hose on the top test and around the seals did not find anything.

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

robo7_sydney

Yes we also picked up mildew in that storage area and hence that's how we started our investigation. Track replaced the marine shelving boards that had a lot of mildew on them & our dealer (Independent Trailers in Canberra) offered to pay for local RV / caravan dealer to tighten screws. I suspected the screw had something to do with it as there was a tiny bit of rust on it too compared to any other of the same screws.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peace

Thank you so much for trying to help.

I suspected this was the cause of the problem also and have placed silicon on all these screws some time ago.

Then I found some were coming loose, so I had them all tightened at Grahams Caravan repairs in Gosford, and was assure all leaks were fixed. But alas the water continues to stream in somewhere and pool in the bottom of that compartment.

I was going to try the camera idea too. Figured the professionals would do that as it's been in the shop 3 times.

I think the fact that all these screws are rusting is a sure sign it will leak through this area at some time. I am taking it to Track headquaters at the end of this trip and want every rusty part replaced on the entire trailer. It's just not acceptable for an item of this value to be rusting anywhere after only 2 years.

Harry Lissimore

Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Rob M

We took delivery of our Topaz in January 2016 and have had leaks in the front locker " fixed" 3 times now. The first time was the day after delivery.
I have tightened the screws several times as others have.
Agree with previous comments re the leaks in an expensive and quality off road van.
Given the number of Forum members and Topaz owners who have experienced these leaks I think that Track has a business and ethical obligation to owners to come up with a fix to these leak issues.
It is simply not good enough to do nothing.
Cheers
Rob

Previously 2009 Tvan Canning and now Topaz Series2 towed by Landcruier 200 series

Peace

I would also like to point out that I have been receiving assistance from Paul at Track Trailer and previously some attention from Graeme and Lloyd. But the problem hasn't been fixed and the only solutions seems to be to take it to their repair shop in Melbourne and let them attempt to fix it (again).

I just don't want a temporary fix, because all these areas that are being compromised by water right now, while be penetrated by water when the silicon and rust wears down. I feel it's necessary that the entire front end is rebuilt using stainless steel parts and water tight fasteners.

Otherwise it's a temporary fix and the problem will reoccur when the warranty expires after 36 months? And some of these problems won't even be realized in that time for most owners who use the vehicle sparingly.

I suggest any one with dampness, moister or even a drop of water in any cavity of the trailer contact Track today and get it looked at professionally. The water and rust will only get worst with time...

Perente

I'm a bit ignorant here but what is it about these screws that require special tightening methods and equipment? I. e. why can't they be tightened with a screwdriver and a bit of elbow grease?

This will probably be obvious next Wednesday when we pick up our new Topaz but at this stage I'm intrigued.

Jeff
Topaz Savannah II

Peace

You'll find out when you check in the cavity and see thread cylinders for every screw on the front stone guard. Some cylinders have come loose and twist when trying to tighten the screw.

These are all rusting on my vehicle and I have placed silicon on each to prevent water penetrating. But this is a temporary fix

I would encourage you to get these water tight and lubricated to prevent rust developing.