News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Topaz 2 Water Leaks into Front Storage

Started by Peace, February 07, 2016, 04:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perente

Quote from: Peace on January 06, 2017, 09:58:48 PM
You'll find out when you check in the cavity and see thread cylinders for every screw on the front stone guard. Some cylinders have come loose and twist when trying to tighten the screw.

These are all rusting on my vehicle and I have placed silicon on each to prevent water penetrating. But this is a temporary fix

I would encourage you to get these water tight and lubricated to prevent rust developing.
Thanks Peace,

This looks to be something that I'll need to monitor and take precautions against.

Jeff
Jeff & Spike
Toyota 200 LandCruiser
Topaz Savannah II

oldblade

Leaks have done my head in since we bought ours new in 2011 but i still own it

Its still the best camper out there and yet the service sucks it leaks the paint is rubbish.

So i service it myself always have marine grade sealant handy and we now buy aldi caravan covers every year for $99.00 and i'll get the camper wrapped once the paint is completely cactus

Shaker

Quote from: Peace on January 06, 2017, 09:58:48 PM
You'll find out when you check in the cavity and see thread cylinders for every screw on the front stone guard. Some cylinders have come loose and twist when trying to tighten the screw.

These are all rusting on my vehicle and I have placed silicon on each to prevent water penetrating. But this is a temporary fix

I would encourage you to get these water tight and lubricated to prevent rust developing.

The threaded "cylinders" that you refer to are nutserts. They can be retightened without the correct tool by getting a longer hex head bolt, put a nut on first, then a washer, screw the bolt in to the thread, then with 2 spanners hold the head of the bolt & tighten the nut down against the washer, it will recompress the nutsert which is basically like a pop rivet with a threaded hole in the centre.

I have spent many years in the marine industry & externally sealing windows with silicone (yuk) is purely a band aid fix. The windows have to be removed & resealed correctly. If Sikaflex is used, you MUST use the appropriate primer, or it will fail again.

Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

Peace

Quote from: oldblade on January 19, 2017, 09:31:41 PM
Leaks have done my head in since we bought ours new in 2011 but i still own it

Its still the best camper out there and yet the service sucks it leaks the paint is rubbish.

So i service it myself always have marine grade sealant handy and we now buy aldi caravan covers every year for $99.00 and i'll get the camper wrapped once the paint is completely cactus

Surely there is something out there that doesn't leak?
I'm now starting to look at my options and see plenty of hybrids being towed around. What makes the Topaz so different?
I do credit it with off road capabilities, but if the leaks continue, then I may as well buy a boat!

VK3GJM

Hi Owners,

I picked up my Topaz in October, we took it on it's maiden trip the day we picked up, and the experience was Great, no rain or leaks.

Two weeks on, I did another trip to the Murray River and a storm came big time, 2 days of it.

Extensive water leaks in both sides of nose cone, wet mattress and bedding as well as wood base wicked water and severely stained now at the top and both sides edges...

On the way home, a quick stop over at TT who are very helpful.  It's now booked in for major stop leak rework in Dec prior to the big break.

I was assured during our negications prior to purchase that TT had a program to ensure no more leaks occurred! Mmm, makes me wonder?

I hope that my issue does not drag out for months, and in some cases years....

Savannah Scout.
Discovery 4, 3.0ltr 8 speed, fitted out for long range touring. Fitted with Codan Envoy X2 HF & 9350 Autotune Antenna, VHF/UHF all mode.

monktm

Tvan won't stay at the top for to long with issues like this happening. I also got my new Tvan about 9 months ago and also had numerous issues. No leaking but none the less it had issues . IMO its a lot. Of money to have things go wrong. My old Tvan 2006 model didn't miss a beat . All this new bling brings problems imo .

Redfin

It is not very encouraging, as a prospective customer, joining this forum for the purpose of research, to learn of such ongoing issues.
If I outlaid 80 large on a van that leaked after a few attempts to fix over a year or so, I wouldn't be as calm. I'd be pursuing not fit for purpose, and demanding a refund.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

AMW

Hi Auscgu
Thanks so much for your pictures and description. We have now replaced our seals and so far so good. Thanks so much!