Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Replacing standard tail lights with LED

Started by Terryo221, April 30, 2016, 01:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terryo221

Hi,
I want to replace the standard tail light with LED and got some of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321768248205?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Has any one done something similar and how did you get the new lights to mount into the original spot.

I was thinking of a box with access for a spanner to be able to use the original mounting bolts, then mount the LED's to the top of that.
Anything off the shelf I could get to modify rather than making something from scratch?

Will call Track on Monday and see if they have a modified mount.

Terry
2003 TVan towed by a 2015 NX 3.2 DiD Pajero

MYT150

Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

Terryo221

Thanks Aidan.
Will see if I can chase up some of these.

Terry

Phil G

I replaced mine with the Narva  ones Aidan has linked. 
They fitted up easily, but from memory I took the brackets off by drilling out the rivets for some reason.
They work great and are easily seen from behind.
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

chris_a

I fitted the Narva ones quite some time ago. From recollection they were a little tricky to fit but I got there in the end without having to remove the mounting brackets. They are sealed units and have survived plenty of dust, river crossings, mud and corrugations. As mentioned they are also nice and bright.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami

Cruiser 105Tvan

My taillights had Narva fittings with the globes in the wrong place when it was delivered in 2009.
The lights are held on with bolts into nutserts on the mounting bracket.
Easy as, to fit L.E.D Brand LED taillights, Just like the ones on the Muranji that I couldn't afford.
I now have reversing lights as part of that cluster too. 
Seriously considering 2 more reversing lights down lower to enhance the experience.
The two in the taillight cluster don't produce enough usable light.
It's ok when your standing beside the trailer, but not from the driver's seat when your trying for that awkward manouver.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Terryo221

Was looking at it again today and looks easy enough to drill the rivets out of the standard mounts, mount up the new LED's and rivet them back on again.
Have already bought these ones so don't want to buy any more.

Thanks for the replies might help someone else out considering this mod.

Terry

Cruiser 105Tvan

When I did mine, it was just remove the lens of the Narva light cluster (2 Screws ea. light). 
Then a spanner to unbolt the light from the bracket on the floor panel.  easy as.
The frame of the LED cluster bolted to the same holes and it was just a simple hook up of the wiring.
And fit the square sections in the correct places.
Job done.  Had to add wires for the reversing light, but that wasn't real hard.
Had it done when the sparkie changed the battery wiring around after I fitted the 2 batteries in the back floor.
Hope your job is easy too.

Fitting is easy as. getting them out to change them, or fix wiring.  Not so, if you don't have a wide flat tool to pry the LED sections out.
Much better and brighter than Bulb type lights.
Hope to see lots of Forumites at the gathering in October and you can check them out for yourselves.
LEDautomotive LED lights make panels almost identical to the Narva Square Section type. 
It's very hard to tell the difference between the two Brands unless checking very closely.
The low profile LED brand clearance lights work well too.  Not distractingly bright in the mirrors, just right in my opinion.
Robert.

Alien

I got given a set of ledautomotive lights given to me.
I made an addaptor plate up so I could retain the original mounting position.
After I did it I found out on here about the bolt in replacement being available. 
Kyle & Coral.
Propulsion unit-  Land Rover Defender.
Accommodation- '06 Canning Tvan.

Topcat

Apologies for resurrecting this thread - both links are dead - wondering if anyone can point to replacement Led lights for a mk4.
Thanks
Tony
Prado 150 GXL 6M - 2016 Mk4 TVAN Murranji

Cruiser 105Tvan

Current as of 10/06/19:-

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/shop-by-category/4wd-and-outdoors/trailer-accessories/trailer-lamps

https://www.ozled.com.au/vehicle-led-light-upgrades/tail-lights/combination-tail-lights/

https://www.narva.com.au/categories/lighting/truck_trailer_lighting

https://www.autobarn.com.au/batteries-electrical/towing-trailer-electrical/lenses-lamps

Take your pick, I've used LED Autolamps (Similar to Narva 50mm. Sq.section type (Autobarn link)), and low profile marker lights as stated in an earlier post.  But once again mines a 2009 Built Mk. 2 Not a Mk. 4. Surely there's not that much difference.

There were Ebay links, but I am loath to publish them.  The links I put up may reference a business/store in your area.
Which is far easier to walk in and get a look/ pick up and inspect before buying.
Robert.

Topcat

Thanks Robert - appreciate the advice / links.
More than happy to support local rather than just default to eBay.
Cheers
Tony
Prado 150 GXL 6M - 2016 Mk4 TVAN Murranji

Cruiser 105Tvan

Another one that might help is:-

https://www.autoelec.com.au/

A business in Bairnsdale, Vic.
Once you work out what your getting, try them for price.
Ordered a battery terminal recently from them.  Because local businesses wanted $90.00 for this item.
Cost me $23.00 from Autoelec, delivery included, by Post.
Just something to think about.
Robert.