News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Dirk Hartog Island - Tvan Special

Started by Dirk Hartog Island, November 23, 2016, 12:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorny Devil

Half the T Vans left the island by barge today, the rest of us leave Saturday bringing to an end a week of adventure. Watch this space as I believe this may become an annual event.  Farewell new friends. Hopeto see you on the road again soon.
Col n Marg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Phil G

2018 tvan gathering has already been set.  Aug 19 to 25 again:
http://www.dirkhartogisland.com/events/
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

gentoopeng

Your trip sounds fantastic and am interested in next years.  Can you give us an estimate of what it cost?
Rob & Gay Higgins
Tvan Murranji 2014
Toyota Hilux SR 2016

Thorny Devil

Cooee Rob n Gay
Cost this year was $870 which includes barge transfers, national park fees, arrival meet n greet meal (BYO), 2 x tag along 4WD tours, and 1 x morning tea on helicopter flight day.   Helicopter flight was additional $80 PP.
Join in and be as social as you want, or do your own thing. I recommend the former.
Cheers for now
Col

gentoopeng

Thanks Col,

Sounds very manageable.  We will be in WA next year so it looks very likely from my oint of view.

Rob
Rob & Gay Higgins
Tvan Murranji 2014
Toyota Hilux SR 2016

William_Foster

Is anyone planning on going on the 2018 tour? We were thinking we might do this as our first trip in our new Scout when it arrives.
2018 Tvan Scout
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5

Gumb

Yes, we've booked in and looking forward to it. Leaving Melbourne early August and doing a couple of days at Kalbarri, Money Mia and Hamelin Pools the way. They only take 20 vehicles and I'm not sure how many are booked but I'd start getting that done if you are considering going. Feedback from those who've done it has been very positive.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

William_Foster

Thanks Gumb.

I've written to the website asking for feedback on whether there are any places left; its one place we have never been and it sounds like a great first trip location for our new Tvan.  It seems quite reasonably priced, $870 for a week away, but I am not sure whether they charge extra for kids; I have asked about this as well.
2018 Tvan Scout
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5

tandymob

Quote from: Phil G on August 25, 2017, 03:28:38 PM
2018 tvan gathering has already been set.  Aug 19 to 25 again:
http://www.dirkhartogisland.com/events/

Hi Phil.
I am going this year. I have a Mk4 Canning and a 200 Series GXL.
How much fuel did you use last year?
I am taking 40 litres in jerries, plus 130 litres in cruiser.
2016 Mk4 Canning
2012 200 Series GXL (diesel)

Stubbsy2

We will be there, just booked DHI and sheltered bay (where you get on the barge), if you want to stay at Steep point (Sheltered bay) you need to book. The Steep point ranger told us that there could be restricted access due to possible road works and may have to allow a bit of extra time to get in.
Ian & Kath
2011 GU Patrol 3.0 ST
2012 TVan Canning MkIII

Phil G

Quote from: tandymob on May 22, 2018, 08:21:28 PM
Hi Phil.
I am going this year. I have a Mk4 Canning and a 200 Series GXL.
How much fuel did you use last year?
I am taking 40 litres in jerries, plus 130 litres in cruiser.

Yeah,  off the top of my head,  we filled up at Overland Roadhouse, then stayed  a couple of days at Tamala Station then drove to the barge early on the morning we were due to leave. 
We drove all the tracks on the island and from memory could have managed OK on the 138L tank on the 200series before refuelling at Overland Roadhouse.  But we took a couple of diesel jerries just to be sure.
Haven't got my fuel book with me but if I find it will let you know for sure
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier