News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

fuel consumption, small TD towing Tvan

Started by Jeremy Harris, December 10, 2016, 11:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monktm

Quote from: bobbo on December 12, 2016, 11:26:12 AM
Have you measured actual fuel consumption, i.e. number of litres put into the tank over X kilometres travelled as opposed to just relying on the scan gauge?  My Prado has a fuel consumption gauge on the dash which gives both instantaneous and average consumption and it's really not very accurate.  Actual measured fuel consumption can be 1-2 litres/hundred km different to what the dash shows, and the difference is not consistent - it could be over or under.

You might find your consumption is different (hopefully better) than what you think it is.

Scan gauge are very accurate . Factory ones on the dash are not . I use to have 140 ltr long range tank and the scan gauge was only ever a litre out .

Jeremy Harris

Thanks for all the responses. Yes the scangauge is showing what the awful factory fuel gauge shows (vaguely) so I trust it.
Can I respond to individual posts a la facebook, or not on here?

Jeffr

I have a 2011 DMax, its automatic and I keep an accurate record of mileage, litres, etc etc.

Sorry, I don't know how to resize the image, but can you see on the graph the day I retired, picked and the TVan and used the DMax exclusively for travel ::) Those really high peaks? Plugging up Boggy Hole and running over the High Country (which has some hills, apparently...)

Its a small TD motor, and no you can't rip up mountains like an LC200, but drive it within its peak torque range (1800 to 2600RPM from memory), keep it pointed in the right direction and let it bubble up the hill or across the obstacle, sit back and enjoy the view; its all good.

I fitted a LRFT, my effective range with TVan in tow is about 900km. My highways speeds are typically 85 - 90km/h.

Be consoled by the fact that it may not rip up a hill like a LC200, but it doesn't cost nearly as much either...

BTW, I have driven a good mates V8 79 series. The poster above is right, you can still feel the van is there and it was necessary to drop a gear or two going up steeper inclines on the Hume Highway.

Edit: Tried to reduce the huge image, failed, sorry :(
Jeff & Judy

kreecha

Hi Jeremy.
I'll offer a few comments in an effort to provide further food for thought, maybe an opinion too!!
I have towed a late model Tvan with a Discovery1 and a Kia Rondo.
This is where it gets tricky as I am going to compare apples to oranges, but it should provide context.

The D1 was a 300TDI (2.5L TD). It was also an auto. We used it to go to the Cape, and it never used more than 17L/100km. That said,; it never used less than 14L/100km either. Speed was an important factor with this rig. Pretty much we cruised just below 95km/h unless on the princess/other congested freeway then we would nearly do 100km/h. Conversely I used a Kia Rondo to tow the Tvan a few times. This was a 1.7L CRD with a DP Chip and a 6-speed auto. I could tow the Tvan at 120km/h and I never used more than 10L/100km.

Now you might be thinking so what? But here is the context - an older mechanical injected diesel, travelling within it's performance parameters, and a new, modern CRD diesel travelling within it's performance parameters, both returned reasonable fuel consumption figures. The newer technology was great on the highway, but we never ventured offroad with it. Also speed played a big role in the fuel consumption. What speed do you tow at?

Therefore, if fuel consumption is a concern, have you considered slowing abit? Fitting an exhaust to lower temps, and improve efficiency? Is your engine dirty/gummy/unhealthy and will some Morey's fuel improver (Green label bottle, about 1L from Supercheap Auto) help? Morey's helped my Rondo. I registered a proven sub-6L/100km trip from Canberra to Pt Augusta in November last year.

Also, this won't help when towing; but have you considered relocating some of your gear from the 4BY to the trailer? At least when you are not towing your consumption will decrease. Finally; if the DMax weighs 2.5T loaded, is that with or without people? Your GVM is 2950Kg. If you are 2.5T dry, by the time you add people and a Tvan you are likely to be over your GVM. So fuel consumption will definately be effected!

Food for thought.
Previous Tvan;
MKIII (2012) Tanami (black acsents) up-spec'd to Canning/Murranji half breed.
Next Tvan;
MKIV Murranji (black acsents). Or maybe a 20th Anniversary Special (MKV?) Current planning challenges - Getting 5x120mm wheels fitted and storage for 4 kids ;D

Pajero tvan

Hi there another input is quality of fuel as this has paid a major difference in my travels even on the same trip next day similar conditions my fuel usage went skyward now I use a diesel fuel additive and all has come good regardless off were I buy, I know this as a fact as I was in convoy and other vehicles suffered the same fait, I added diesel boost and clean they didn't my economy improved there's didnt

Murray Felstead

Hi. I have 120 prado diesel. Also get about 11 with no van. With Tvan I get 14 to 15. Just been to big red bash. A lot depends on how hard you drive it. I'm gentle on the throttle.  60 to 80 on birdsville track, 100 on sealed. Could easily get to 17 with lots of hills. Car is a bit over two tons and van about one ton so adding van should up fuel consumption about 50%.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

-Murray Felstead.
Toyota Prado 120 series
Mark 3 Murranji.
Amateur Radio callsign VK3AAI.

robstevens

Just returned from picking up the Tvan from Bayswater North... On the trip down to Melbourne (from Brisbane) I got 13.5 l/100km while on the return - towing - I used 16.0 l/100km

This was towing at highway speed limits. (Prado 4.0 litre V6 petrol, manual 6 speed).

Hills: had to drop back a gear on the steeper hills, compared to not towing. So the extra tonne was felt here.
Headwinds: Didn't notice. The car and van are the same height.
Generally: Definitely needed the foot down a bit more to keep at cruising speeds. Thus reflected in the consumption. However could use cruise control - made for an easy trip!
2017 Mk4 (Firetail)
2019 Landcruiser 200 GXL (4.6 petrol)

Jeremy Harris

I had a 3" exhaust, unichip and dyno. The difference is staggering! About 33% for both kw and nm.
Egr's are very low, overtaking easy.
In good conditions towing Tvan I'll get 11s, slight hills or wind 14s and obscene conditions, 17s. My ute is like a brick too, with tall canopy and overhanging roof rack :)
Haven't heard of moreys, but I have used and love CEM products for years.
(Cost effective maintenance).
Thanks again for all the great input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

weonatvan

Quote from: Jeremy Harris

Egr's are very low, overtaking easy.

Just checking as I assume you mean EGT (exhaust gas temperature) as opposed to EGR (exhaust gas recirculation)
MK III 2012 Murranji,  MY14 auto rok (VW Amarok)

"You don't know, what you don't know"

Cheers dave

Jeremy Harris

Quote from: weonatvan on October 25, 2017, 06:17:34 AM
Just checking as I assume you mean EGT (exhaust gas temperature) as opposed to EGR (exhaust gas recirculation)
Yes, well spotted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cruiser91

Latest towing a tvan fuel figures if interested.

Just back from Oodnadatta - Tanami - Dampier Peninsula - GRR - Kakadu - Bins Track - Oodnadatta and bits in between.
2004 HD1-FTE wagon @3500kg, auto, mild chip, lock up converter kit, lift, snorkel, blah, blah, towing 2006 Canning 1200kg.
Tyre PSI adjusted to conditions
Air temps always in the 30's
Towing 95% of the whole time
90% of time sitting on 1800Rpm in 5th @ 96kmh or lower.
HWY: 13.2-15L per 100km
Tracks: 14.6-16L per 100km
4WD: 20L per 100km

Not towing and unloaded: 3100kg @ 10.98L per 100km

Cheers

2004 TD Kakadu Landcruiser
2007 Canning MK II Tvan