Looong time since anyone has posted new stuff on an Eagle..

Started by Wasp Works, December 11, 2016, 10:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wasp Works

I'm half way through my Eagle customization/upgrade/rebuild and thought I might show some pics (if I can get them to post) of where it is at currently.

Long story short is that I couldn't find anything that particularly suited my "ideal camper" mindset, so I went about modifying what I thought was a REALLY good base in the Eagle camper.
Right from the get go I intended to find an Eagle trailer and strip the fold out tent section of the top to install a James Baroud tent for super quick set up and pack up while constantly moving around.
While I was at it I added a lift up floor for the tent, and a low storage lift up side awning for shade.

One of the first mods however was to get rid of those pain in the butt 1/4 turn fasteners and install some quick and easy to use locking latches.

Ive nearly completed the mods now with the only things left to do is tidy up some electricals by adding a couple of lights here and there, and adding a Intervolt DCDC system to manage power and control solar input. Also need to finish the plumbing for the HWS and front water tank then give it all a new paint job, and we should be good to get out and about.

P.S - I ended up buying complete new suspension, springs, shocks, etc so that I can put the Ranger wheels on as seen in front of the trailer in a couple of pics. Oh.. and made the drawbar extension, so have to lengthen the wiring for that yet too..

If there is any interest I will post up some more pics of the build getting to this stage.

Greg.

Wasp Works

Only 200kb total pics required per post - So here's another.

David Johns

My first time on this forum and interested to learn what others have done with their Eagle campers.
What sort of shockers did you fit and what is the jockey wheel you used? Were the latches difficult to modify? Thanks David
2015 Nissan NP300
1994 Track Trailer Eagle

Wasp Works

Quote from: David Johns on December 12, 2016, 08:22:13 AM
My first time on this forum and interested to learn what others have done with their Eagle campers.
What sort of shockers did you fit and what is the jockey wheel you used? Were the latches difficult to modify? Thanks David

Hi David.
My Eagle will be towed with a Ford Ranger so I was keen to set the same wheels with same track on the trailer for obvious reasons. Problem is that this required the purchase of complete new (longer stub) cross suspension arms because of the very neg offset of Ranger wheels. While I was at it I thought may as well completely replace the entire suspension, springs, bushes, shocks, towers, and all.
Shocks are the factory spec'd Koni.

The ARK Corporation "Off Road" jockey wheel was a gut wrenching choice because they are super expensive (for a jockey wheel), but, because of the location of my HWS + front spare + fnt water tank I needed something that would accomodate the very high lift of the camper plus store in a short area. Check it out here, but be prepared to pay $300ish if you really need it: http://www.arkcorporation.com/p/3415/off-road-jockey-wheel

Doing the compression locker latches was a no brainer as far as im concerned.
Its a time consuming job to get it right but you just have to start with the right depth latch. I selected mine from UES International who make there own proprietary product similar to the triple priced Southco. Having said that, still be prepared to pay around $260 for 14 of them.
I did all my cutouts with a plasma and die grinder, and then laser cut some S/Steel backing plates to tidy up the inside.
It takes a bit of messing around to mark out and pre-drill correctly but a job absolutely worth doing.
To fill in all the inside and outside quarter turn holes I bought blank grommets from Clark rubber.

Hope this helps and inspires.
Such a great 'quick set up camper' that im surprised there are not a lot more of them around.

Greg.   

Topcat

G'Day Greg - great job, you're obviously very handy on the tools.

If you have any, would love to see some close up shots of the uprights for the awning.

Really nice job  :)
Tony

edit: {forgot to ask - which model JB tent are you using}  :)

edit 2: {what did you use to build the base for the tent}  :) :)
Prado 150 GXL 6M - 2016 Mk4 TVAN Murranji

Wasp Works

Hi Tony.
Glad you like it so far.

Awning mounts are 35mm SHS with laser cut tabs and hinge plates.
All pivot bolts are M12.

Tilt up bed floor is 30mm SHS with mastic adhered 4mm ally composite sign board.

JB tent is Grand Raid Evolution XXL http://www.jamesbaroud.com.au/products/rooftop-tents/grand-raid-evolution.html

Wasp Works

Topcat

Thanks Greg - food for thought. I'll probably have more questions later  ???

As I said previously , great job - look forward to seeing more pics as you do more.

Cheers,
Tony
Prado 150 GXL 6M - 2016 Mk4 TVAN Murranji

Wasp Works

Happy to answer any questions if it helps someone out Tony.

Latest development.
Can you guess what this is?
Where it goes?
And what goes in it?

keith@kld.com.au

Hi Greg
It's so good to see the old-school back!!
Your project is amazing, have you had the trailer for "looong"?
Looks to me like a control panel to go in one of the side boxes, with some tech to be included. I have been pondering a similiar set on my trailer, but without the your skills (you have re-inspired me to get back into it).
regards Keith

shamirj

looks to me a definite control power board to mount into one of the boxes for sure. good build.