Looong time since anyone has posted new stuff on an Eagle..

Started by Wasp Works, December 11, 2016, 10:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hueys

Nice work.

What are you intending to protect the gas bottles from flying rocks?
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

Wasp Works

Quote from: keith@kld.com.au on December 23, 2016, 08:06:59 AM
Hi Greg
It's so good to see the old-school back!!
Your project is amazing, have you had the trailer for "looong"?
Looks to me like a control panel to go in one of the side boxes, with some tech to be included. I have been pondering a similiar set on my trailer, but without the your skills (you have re-inspired me to get back into it).
regards Keith

It is indeed a control panel for the front LH top locker.
Will house the stereo headset, Narva 4-way switch panel, dual water tank level indicator, Intervolt DCDC remote display, CD/cables shelf, and 2x ACC + 1x dual USB + 1 x Merit sockets.

I picked the trailer up around two months ago and have been steadily working on it.
Waiting on delivery of the black JB tent actually slowed progress down a bit as some of the design had to wait until I knew exactly what real-estate it occupied.

Glad you're inspired Kieth - Get back into it...

Wasp Works

Quote from: shamirj on December 28, 2016, 08:27:33 AM
looks to me a definite control power board to mount into one of the boxes for sure. good build.

Yep. Control panel for sure shamirj.

Wasp Works

Quote from: The Hueys on December 29, 2016, 08:10:18 AM
Nice work.

What are you intending to protect the gas bottles from flying rocks?

Thanks Craig. I intend on ordering a Stone Stomper guard very soon.
I have stripped the complete trailer down and am prepping for paint over the next week or so.
Still quite a bit to do but will hopefully be on the road in 6 or 8 weeks.

shamirj

Yes very addictive the possibilities are endless working on these campers. Mine is a week old and just removed the spare wheel carrier on front to allow easier access to front draw. Going to fit the spare flat on A frame drawbar. Removed Jerry can holder for now. Love the idea and placement of the panel. May need to do something similar to mine. Need to sort out tent first, looking for cheaper options. Also removed two short plumbing piping for storage on A frame as well. Looks much neater and less cluttered then before. Weighs less as well another bonus. Need to do some touch up painting mostly inside boxes, busy cleaning them out. Not sure whether to carpet inside boxes yet. Thinking of replacing entire rubber seals on boxes maybe Clark rubber may have a profile. Door latches need to think more on. Pity the boxes are only 24cm deep, would be nice to have slightly more depth to boxes like with patriot campers. My 4wd already has aux battery so not sure I want or need a third battery in camper. Bought new d shackles from Bunnings today, fitted better tongue to suit camper and make it sit flat with 4wd, was sitting with slight angle leaning backwards before. So much to do but looking forward to the challenge and innovation. Looking for maxtrax, shovel placement and lighting ideas.

Wasp Works

Quote from: shamirj on December 30, 2016, 10:05:31 PM
Yes very addictive the possibilities are endless working on these campers. Mine is a week old and just removed the spare wheel carrier on front to allow easier access to front draw. Going to fit the spare flat on A frame drawbar. Removed Jerry can holder for now. Love the idea and placement of the panel. May need to do something similar to mine. Need to sort out tent first, looking for cheaper options. Also removed two short plumbing piping for storage on A frame as well. Looks much neater and less cluttered then before. Weighs less as well another bonus. Need to do some touch up painting mostly inside boxes, busy cleaning them out. Not sure whether to carpet inside boxes yet. Thinking of replacing entire rubber seals on boxes maybe Clark rubber may have a profile. Door latches need to think more on. Pity the boxes are only 24cm deep, would be nice to have slightly more depth to boxes like with patriot campers. My 4wd already has aux battery so not sure I want or need a third battery in camper. Bought new d shackles from Bunnings today, fitted better tongue to suit camper and make it sit flat with 4wd, was sitting with slight angle leaning backwards before. So much to do but looking forward to the challenge and innovation. Looking for maxtrax, shovel placement and lighting ideas.

Lowering the spare wheel level on the drawbar to allow access to the front door was primarily what I had in mind as well. I also fitted the shorter 4kg gas bottles so that the door can be opened at any time without having to disconnect or swing anything out of the way.
These trailers are very high off the ground and could get quite top heavy unless load can be kept low, or at least kept central along the mid line of the trailer. I fully intend on loading heavier items in the floor of the box section as well as in the front lockers. The side lockers can be packed light as possible to minimize weight outboard.

My spare is fastened onto a SHS frame and secured by three bolts that hold the HWS in place.
On the rare occasion when a spare is changed is not a biggy to unbolt the HWS frame and sit it on the ground before replacing it to secure the flat.

I have no need for the Jerry cans as I have a long range tank on the tow vehicle and there is a 70lt water tank in the rear and the new 45lt tank for HWS in the front.

I bought all new rubber seal in a roll from UES Int and was an exact match.

It would be good to have deeper lockers but it is what it is.

As for lights, I had a dozen or so 300mm long 3M backed LED flexible strips made up that I will stick under the roof of the lockers as I found these put out excellent light.

Any way - Food for thought... Enjoy your project.

Greg.

lisian_1275

Hey there,
Great job you are doing.
Very impressed with the drawbar extension.
Keep up the great work and updates.
Thanks
Ian

Wasp Works

Quote from: lisian_1275 on December 31, 2016, 10:07:40 AM
Hey there,
Great job you are doing.
Very impressed with the drawbar extension.
Keep up the great work and updates.
Thanks
Ian

Thanks Ian.

I only had a 20(ish)km drive with the extension installed but noticed it was a LOT easier to reverse than standard.
I felt it was just too short on wheel base as standard and also benefited with room to enable replacement of the spare tyre, front water tank, and gas bottles, as well as logical placement of the jockey wheel.
I didnt want to go too long as this setup will do a fair amount of 4wd/offroad destinations but will mostly be used for quick setup hit and run touring..

Greg.

shamirj

Hi Greg,

Like the drawbar addition for spare noticed it's a 50x75mm square steel tubing but will probably only do one piece across not two like yours want to keep weight as low as possible. Where did u get the steel from, there is steel merchant in silverwater who I will go to in Sydney to get my steel, nice man. Hope he is open given p/hols.

Why another water tank on drawbar is that for hot water?

Went and matched some paint today from Bunnings but it's out, not an exact match but close. Did some touch up inside boxes, would like to secure spare and see if I can get blue slip tomorrow if not Tuesday. They tell me no stamp duty payable on campers, yah.

Mines running original hitch no plans to change that. Does come with mechanical handbrake but no elec brakes. Towed well enough coming home for 9hrs. Do I really need a brake controller?

Still cannot get over how high these sit, mines running 31 inch tyres so heaps of ground clearance. Dwarfs my box trailer with inverted springs for added height and clearance. So happy I removed the swing away spare carrier sat way too high.

Not sure where to put some jerry cans, no room on drawbar, don't want to extend drawbar so looking at options in the rear tray set up. Need a roll out tray then mounted on these perhaps. Or mount spare in trailer then mount jerry cans on drawbar? Decisions, decisions