News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

New tent required, where to ...

Started by shamirj, December 29, 2016, 02:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamirj

hi all,

just purchased a new eagle track trailer 99 model, but the tent needs replacing, who, where, how much should it cost me ? i see canvass is not cheap to replace so have been told to expect to pay $2500 to $3000, is there a cheaper option. want to be able to sleep 4 total, two on beds in eagle plus 2 on collapsible beds in living quarters. any suggestions welcome. i did notice a sticker on the tent maker is peter someone in Melb i think. cheers

shamirj

due to moving spare flat on draw bar this will interfere with ID compliance plate so moved to side of drawbar. you can just see where the original ID was but would mean removing spare to access the info.

lisian_1275

Hi,
Those prices would be fairly close to go by. Whoever you choose to do the job, just make sure you are paying for a Quality Canvas.
We did an Eagle about 12 mths ago which included a full Annex, Cost from memory was around the $4000-4500 mark. But it was all out of Australian made DX12 Canvas ( heaviest our supplier makes )
Thanks
Ian

shamirj

that's more then the price of the trailer. really need to look at other cheaper options. only wanting to spend up to $1000 for tent set up. damn pics wont load up, tried so many times file too big. how crazy is that.

anyway another problem i am having is the jockey wheel came flat so replaced with new wheel from bunnings, inner tube split cost was $15 or $24 for the entire new wheel and tyre. chose later. fitted however when swinging up seems to hit the drawbar, needs approx 35mm spacer to clear the drawbar on its approach upwards. how weird. was thinking of fitting the spare in the trailer underside but too hard to get at. front would be free for jerry cans though. 

shamirj

what have people lined the boxes with carpet?, looking at options to soften the interior of the boxes a little, thinking carpet would be good but not glued down so cleaning is easy.

need to buy and colour match some paint, some of the boxes need re painting on the inside

the bottom boxes have a latch on top is this a common size to buy from bunnings? mine are little rusty from age and want to replace them.

lisian_1275

I guess another way is to replace the tent top, you could modify and replace it with a Rooftop Tent.
The Eagle is quite high so you should still be able to utilise the covered in area where the ladder is also.
Just a thought.
Thanks
Ian

shamirj

i have thought of them as well, still looking for options. so much to do that the tent is on the back burner for now. waiting to have the rego sorted next week following a blue slip. did more sanding of boxes today messy old job. need to go to bunnings and get some colour samples to paint up the interior. i had two wooden shelves rivetted to L shape aluminium in boxes had to remove not sure whether will refit or not. are these standard? had to come out to paint the inside. layout of the boxes is critical so need to plan ahead what goes where. 

Elmer

I don't know if it will work but perhaps worth investigating a tent made by Oztrail called the Outer Ridge 375. Apparently it's made to fit 6x4 trailers.

shamirj

they look ok but at $4000 its a bit over the budget, that sort of money could prob go back to track trailer and have original made up. thanks for the suggestion though. still looking at options. playing around this morning with original jerry can holder for the front drawbar and poss move of spare to trailer in rear. i think i would use the jerry cans more then the spare. easier to refill as well. pity i removed the welded cross bar that supports the jerry can holder. need to re weld if going ahead.

Shaker

There is a Pinnacle camper trailer tent & full annexe on Gumtree at the moment for $700.00

Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

shamirj

Thanks to all suggestions but decided to sell the eagle, replacing with tvan. Cheers

Bagoo76

Anyone looking to replace their eagle tent should consider a Howling Moon trailer tent. South African company with distribution in Oz. I am currently considering their product due to South African products being on par if not better than oz for roof tents seeing as they invented them. I know this is an old thread but hopefully others are still interested. I am also open to suggestions and feedback. On another point I am in the process of designing a new "box" for the trailer similar to Patriot Campers but without the excessive items. If you're interested let me know as the manufacturing will be cheaper with multiples ( once the CAD is complete I will be engaging a fabricator to build the box). Cheets

Shaker

Just to complete the thread for anybody needing the same info, the Peter someone was Peter Bedgggod, his son is still doing canvas work in Melbourne & does quite a bit of work on Eagles.

Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

Cruiser 105Tvan

Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.