News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

TVAN MK1 underfloor battery relocation

Started by teddytuffnut, February 05, 2017, 04:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddytuffnut

Hey Guys

So I've decided one of the first mods for my tvan is to relocate the battery from the drawbar to under the floor. Happy with the wiring side of things just a bit unsure on the battery box I need to build...If anyone can give me some ideas on how to construct this that would be great....From I can see there are being made to sit on top of the chassis ?I'm just a bit concerned about a battery hanging in a box that weighs almost 40kg's... What material is everyone making them from ??
Cheers

J.mar1

First post from me
Just got some box's made up haven't picked them up yet they are bent up out of 2mm gal plate.
They are three sided and i will weld a perforated steel plate on the back for ventilation

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Cruiser 105Tvan

Material is Steel Galv. sheet and the corners are welded and sealed to stop water invasion.
Sikaflex or similar to seal around the top of the box in the floor.
Mine has two boxes which both contain 105A/h. batteries and midi fuses and covers.
Lids are held by Dzuz fastners.
Plumbing has to be rearranged from the tank to the various connections.
If you have to add an improvement to the Solar side of the trailer (if you have Solar.).
You might want to consider allowing for it while you do the changes.

Good luck with it all.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

peter_mcc

Quote from: J.mar1 on February 05, 2017, 08:33:17 PMThey are three sided and i will weld a perforated steel plate on the back for ventilation

Welcome aboard!

Won't leaving the back perforated let dust & water in?

J.mar1

Hi peter
I wanted some ventilation

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

teddytuffnut

So I'm assuming you had to cut the small bracket of the chassis underneath to put them in that position I was thinking of mounting mine further back so I didn't have to to do that ?? Any chance you have some more pics?? Looks great very neat install...
Cheers

Quote from: Cruiser 105Tvan on February 05, 2017, 08:34:34 PM
Material is Steel Galv. sheet and the corners are welded and sealed to stop water invasion.
Sikaflex or similar to seal around the top of the box in the floor.
Mine has two boxes which both contain 105A/h. batteries and midi fuses and covers.
Lids are held by Dzuz fastners.
Plumbing has to be rearranged from the tank to the various connections.
If you have to add an improvement to the Solar side of the trailer (if you have Solar.).
You might want to consider allowing for it while you do the changes.

Good luck with it all.

Cruiser 105Tvan

Sorry, no more pics.
It depends on how big the battery is, that you intend using.
Mine is the Full River AGM 105A/h. sealed batteries.
The boxes flange sits on the floor ply and the box fits between under floor structure, just.
Some trimming was needed, but not a lot.
It's tight against the Chassis and sits along the angle iron at the tub wall.
Under floor structure was used to bolt through and anchor the boxes.
Robert.

Phil G

I've done two of these now - 130Ah AGM battery behind the RHS wheel on Mark 1 Tvans. 
Both times I welded up a cradle to fit the slot from 40mm slotted angle, with a rim of 25mm angle at the top.  I removed the small chassis brace, the cradle just drops into the slot and rivet it into place.  The cradle is just over 13" long so it takes the 130 Ah AGM. The front and inside walls have stone protection but I leave the back and side open for unlimited ventilation.  Battery is secured with 1" straps that can be retightened from the open side. The ply is then put back over the top (with a foam seal) and secured with screws and washers, same as the fuel tank cover.  My own Tvan has been that way for 3 years.  Did the other on a mate's Tvan last year.

I also added a storage area behind the tank while I was there:

Access is from inside the Tvan with a simple lid:

Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

Cruiser 105Tvan

If you want a challenge Phil, the new 100 Litre water tank drops straight in.
That's if you remove the angle iron that anchors the lid for the Water Tank cover and get the new Tank enclosure, or make it.
Only the plumbing then, and that is concentrated in the Pass. side front corner of the tank.
You lose the small tool box type storage, but gain 30 Litres water storage.
I asked at Track whether it was a possible retro fit, was told, "Couldn't see why not."
But I would have to do it myself.  Be a bit costly otherwise.
Robert.

J.mar1

Quote from: Cruiser 105Tvan on February 07, 2017, 12:47:46 AM
If you want a challenge Phil, the new 100 Litre water tank drops straight in.
That's if you remove the angle iron that anchors the lid for the Water Tank cover and get the new Tank enclosure, or make it.
Only the plumbing then, and that is concentrated in the Pass. side front corner of the tank.
You lose the small tool box type storage, but gain 30 Litres water storage.
I asked at Track whether it was a possible retro fit, was told, "Couldn't see why not."
But I would have to do it myself.  Be a bit costly otherwise.
These are my vented battery boxes in the rear floor.I have installed one on each side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gettrucked

Hi JR
Do you have drawings that I could give to a fabricator. I would like to do exactly your mod to my my Mk2
Thanks
Tim