News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

How cold does it get in the Pilbara/Kimberley in May/June/July?

Started by peter_mcc, March 22, 2017, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter_mcc

We're heading from Perth up to the Pilbara, Karlamilyi National Park, Kimberley, Bungle Bungles then back to Sydney starting 6th May and back by 18th July.

I've been looking at the historical weather records and it seems that it's unlikely to go below 10c at night in the Pilbara/Karlamilyi/Kimberley/Bungle Bungles. That would be pleasant enough at night and the kids should be able to manage ok by rugging up.

Is that most people's experience of those areas at that time? I'm imagining we'll sit around the fire for a bit then they'll go to bed reasonably early.

On the way back I'm not sure exactly which way we'll go or how long we'll have - it depends on how much we find to do in the Kimberley region. It seems that it will be quite a lot colder at night as we head into the centre and further away from the cost.

The big question is... do I bother organising a diesel heater for the Tvan? I've got one sitting on the shelf but haven't had time to put it in. I'm also toying with the idea of making it portable so we can use if we go tent camping. But I'm pushed for time so I'm not sure where it should sit on my list of priorities.

Do people think a heater would make evenings/more pleasant in the Pilbara/Kimberley? In Central Australia? Or should we just toughen up a bit and be ok?

Shaker

I would fit the heater, it only takes a few hours. You won't be happy being freezing & thinking of your diesel heater sitting at home on the shelf, more importantly, I'm sure your wife/partner won't be either!

Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

Ray

White NT Pajero and 2009 Tvan Sport with custom kitchen

leachy_9

You will not need a heater in the Pilbara or the Kimberley. But in getting from Perth to the Pilbara a heater would definitely come in handy, as it will if you travel home through the red centre. We travel North to the Pilbara and Kimberley most winters and with three kids (now 5yo and 3yo twins) we have never felt the need for any heating in these regions.
2009 Tvan pushing a 100 series Turbo Diesel Landcruiser

peter_mcc

My thoughts:

Perth - Exmouth in May - not cold, sometimes hot (no heater)

Pilbara - early June - a bit chilly at night but nothing too bad (no heater)

Kimberley - late June - not cold (no heater)

Tanami Track/Alice Springs/Uluru - early July - cold!! A heater would have been nice (but alas I didn't get around to fitting it - ran out of time)