Author Topic: GVM / GCM Upgrade  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Rolcar52

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
GVM / GCM Upgrade
« on: April 18, 2017, 07:06:47 PM »
I had my 2011 Dual Cab Hilux GVM upgrade inspection/report done today,by VASS Signatory. Results as follows, it turned out much better than I expected :-----
            Old GVM  2850Kg,     New GVM   3300 Kg
            Old GCM  5035 Kg,    New GCM   5550 Kg

I can now travel legally without worry only have to watch Ball Weight. can even tow a Topaz legally if I want. Process was well worth the effort! 

Rolf & Irene
Pakenham  Victoria
2014 Tvan Murranji with lots / Sold . 2018 Savanah Scout Topaz
2011 Hilux 3ltr Diesel Dual Cab

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• View Profile
Re: GVM / GCM Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »
Well done Rolf, great result.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
Cruiser 105Tvan, 2000 FZJ105R, 2009 Canning MkII. pushing.
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, in the works.

Offline Wildmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:07:16 PM »
That's interesting. I had my 09 Lux upgraded to 3100kg GVM, but was told that this had no impact on the GCM (so, while payload was up, towing capacity down).
Looking at upgrading vehicle after this year's trip, so exploring all the options - most of the new utes with a claimed tow capacity of 3500kg are actually only around 2500kg with a full payload and ballweight on the vehicle.
Cheers
Wildmax
MY2018 dual cab Hilux SR auto with all the ARB gear
Previously: TVan Canning MkIII
now: AOR Eclipse III + Black Wolf 210 tent

Offline Rolcar52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
Wildmax
I was only expecting the GVM upgrade, and asked about the GCM expecting a figure of around 1800Kg which was enough to legalize my set up with the Tvan but was told that the 2250Kg towing capacity is still allowed. My VASS signatory has issued a certificate with 3300Kg GVM and 5550 Kg GCM. I only went through this exercise because we were looking at upgrading to a Topaz before Christmas and when I put the Hilux on the weighbridge and did the sums I was shocked to find that I was over GCM by about 200Kg once the T van ball weight and 2 off persons were added. I had been illegal with the T van and had no chance of towing a Topaz. The people that do must do so with a stock unladened vehicles. 
Rolf & Irene
Pakenham  Victoria

Offline Wildmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 05:22:23 PM »
Thanks Rolf and Irene.
I'm towing an AOR Eclipse now (which is only slightly lighter than the Topaz), so have to really watch my total weight and load distribution to stay legal, even with the GVM upgrade. Will certainly be going over my numbers very carefully when I change over the tug !!
Cheers
Wildmax
MY2018 dual cab Hilux SR auto with all the ARB gear
Previously: TVan Canning MkIII
now: AOR Eclipse III + Black Wolf 210 tent

Offline markeaust

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »
Hi Rolf,

Would you be prepared to post up some details of what was involved?  Costs and provider details etc...?

PM if you prefer.

Thanks,

Mark

2003 HDJ100 Landcruiser
2005 Mk II Tvan
VKS737 (M3531) RFDS-9VNE

Offline Rolcar52

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 07:36:29 AM »
Mark,
There are some modifications you will need to do to your vehicle if you haven't already done so as i don't think you will get a GVM upgrade with standard vehicle. Modifications to my Hilux are as follows:-----
                1.  Suspension upgrade, I fitted Old Man Emu 400 Kg springs to rear, not sure what the front spring rating is { i'm not home at the moment, can let you know when I get home in couple of weeks}. The cost for the suspension upgrade was I think $3500.00 fitted. I'm sure that you can get good suspension at a better price. Engineer will need to know your spring unladen and fully laden length or heights, your supplier should be able to give you this. You need a weighbridge certificate with vehicle as empty as you can make it, I also supplied one with all gear I normally carry loaded. Engineer measures vehicle height unladen then calculates the load rating from information supplied from spring manufacturer. I was only after a GVM of 3100kg to make things legal towing my TVan but go a pleasant surprise when calculations came out at 3300kg so have no worries now.
                2.   I fitted bigger wheels and tyres, originals were 205/65/16 rated at !000kg  fitted 265/75/16 rated at 1300kg these were included as part of the GVM upgrade.

Rolf & Irene
Pakenham  Victoria

Offline Rolcar52

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
Sorry Mark,
I fat fingered the keyboard before finishing.
       The VASS signatory {Engineer } report cost me $700.00. This is well worth it as after he has finished a new GVM sticker is supplied you go to Vic Roads they inspect Vehicle and issue new details on your Registration Certificate stating new GVM and CVM rates. Makes your vehicle legal.
       I used the following Engineer:----
       engineer@ecad.net.au    the guys name is Askar.

Rolf & Irene
Pakenham  Victoria

Offline weonatvan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 09:36:23 AM »
There are some aftermarket suspension manufacturers that do fully engineered GVM/GCM upgrades on most popular fourbies but I think for simplicity it far easier to do when the foubie is brand new and done prior to the first registration.

My B-in law is about to pick up his 200 series after having the (I think) Lovell treatment. He's been borderline with his 100 series towing their mobile "house" for years.

By the way, his 100 series is for sale. He is in Terrigal but will be picking up his new rig in Canberra in a week or so.

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave
MK III 2012 Murranji,  MY14 auto rok (VW Amarok)

"You don't know, what you don't know"

Cheers dave

Offline Rolcar52

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »
Dave,
They tell you that yes we offer fully engineered GVM upgrades but only to new vehicles and that you can't do used vehicles. That is just Bullshit, I just went through it and have an engineer report and Vicroads Registration certifying the new GVM is 3300 kg and CVM 5550kg for a 2010-2011 dual cab Hilux.

Regards Rolf
Rolf & Irene
Pakenham  Victoria

Offline weonatvan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 10:09:56 PM »
Dave,
They tell you that yes we offer fully engineered GVM upgrades but only to new vehicles and that you can't do used vehicles. That is just Bullshit, I just went through it and have an engineer report and Vicroads Registration certifying the new GVM is 3300 kg and CVM 5550kg for a 2010-2011 dual cab Hilux.

Regards Rolf

Hi Rolf, not for a second did I mention it can't be done on a used vehicle, I was just indicating that it should be easier and possibly less hoops to jump through if done from the get go.

Also, finding a willing engineer that's not thousand ks away, that knows the ins and outs to help you through what I'm guessing could be an extremely painful process in dealing with government bureaucracy has got to be a major plus. lol     
MK III 2012 Murranji,  MY14 auto rok (VW Amarok)

"You don't know, what you don't know"

Cheers dave

Offline Rolcar52

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »
Hi Dave,
Sorry mate it wasn't my intention to infer that you said it couldn't be done on used vehicles only the crap I got from suspension suppliers who clearly didn't know what they were talking about when they advised me that it couldn't be done to used vehicles.
The actual process is very simple, in Victoria Vic roads web site has a list of approved VASS signatories just need to contact one and he will advise you what he requires.
I fitted OME suspension on my Hilux at 20000km and did the GVM upgrade at 90000km, vehicle required no further modification. The only trouble I had was with a smart arse sales manager at ARB who treated me as if i was a fool to consider doing the up grade! Told me that it can't be done, would only be legal in Victoria, wouldn't give me the Spring Specifications, in other word a real arsehole. My local ARB dealer helped me out with what I needed, Mind you I wasn't just a blow in customer my vehicle is fully fitted out with ARB gear. Anyway once my engineer had the information on the spring loading and heights I had the report within 2 hrs. Went to Vic roads with the paperwork and an hour after that walked out with new rego papers stating the new GVM and CVM. The worst part of the whole exercise was dealing with one fool at ARB and unloading and reloading my vehicle for weigh bridge certificates they only require the unloaded weight, I also weighted it loaded with what I normally carry and full load of fuel.

Regards Rolf     
Rolf & Irene
Pakenham  Victoria

Offline The Landy

• View Profile
    • XPLORE
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 06:30:41 AM »
I went through the process of a post-initial registration with my 79 Series Dual Cab.  I had a Lovell's Kit fitted.

The difference with a post initial registration is that it is a modification under the State Laws it is registered in.  In theory this means that technically it need only be recognised by the State it is registered in, it would be possible to be defected by police in another State.  The reality is it is unlikely and I have never had any problem.

I confirmed this with the Roads and Maritime Signatory that signed my upgrade and another modification - but he did add he would be surprised if it happened.  I am aware of an instance that did occur on Fraser Island a couple of years back.

Cheers, Baz
Baz - The Landy
www.thelandy.com

Offline AllanK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
Hi all, spot on Landy I reckon.

The difference with a post initial registration is that it is a modification under the State Laws it is registered in.  In theory this means that technically it need only be recognised by the State it is registered in, it would be possible to be defected by police in another State.  The reality is it is unlikely and I have never had any problem.

I had my 79 dual cab also GVM upgraded prior to initial rego to overcome any issues knowing that I was certainly going to be overweight otherwise. With canopy on the dual cab, winch, bars etc. with driver and tank of fuel I sit about 3.2tonnes.

Landy is right that a certified post initial rego gvm is only formerly recognised by the actual state whilst pre initial rego is recognised throughout Australia. This as I understand is only for for registration purposes. So if someone in Vic bought my QLD regd vehicle and registered it in Vic, no issues as it's seen as a secondary manufacture's modification (not sure that is the exact terminology) but if a post initial rego was sought to be registered in say Vic and bought from Qld the certification would not be recognised automatically in the new state and certification process would need to be sorted out again.

If any vehicle is correctly registered in one state there should not be any issue driving it and using it interstate by the interstate driver because of reciprocal arrangements between the states. The modification (pre or post) should be plated on the vehicle and that would sort out any on the spot enquiry by police/transport. It only becomes an issue when rego is sought to be changed between the states.
My understanding anyway.

Offline Howezit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »
If any vehicle is correctly registered in one state there should not be any issue driving it and using it interstate by the interstate driver because of reciprocal arrangements between the states. The modification (pre or post) should be plated on the vehicle and that would sort out any on the spot enquiry by police/transport. It only becomes an issue when rego is sought to be changed between the states.
My understanding anyway.
Your understanding is correct.
I've just had my Patrol's GVM upgraded, and that was the case.
Graham & Debbie Howe
Driving : Nissan Patrol 4.2 TDi
Towing : Tvan Tanami Mk4