Author Topic: Jockey wheel woes  (Read 8854 times)

Offline Shaker

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Re: Jockey wheel woes
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
This is what I have on the Tvan, fixes all the problems for $45.00!
Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

Offline Howezit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »
This is what I have on the Tvan, fixes all the problems for $45.00!
Obviously the next question someone will ask is "Where did you get that from?"  8)
Graham & Debbie Howe
Driving : Nissan Patrol 4.2 TDi
Towing : Tvan Tanami Mk4

Offline Gumb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 04:30:57 PM »
Obviously the next question someone will ask is "Where did you get that from?"  8)
I have exactly the same unit for my ratchet wheel. Any good caravan/4wd shop should have them. Or ebay.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALKO-Adjustable-swivel-jockey-wheel-bracket-450-00702-/262741139919?hash=item3d2c97a1cf:g:AE8AAOSwvKtY-GHb

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:34:20 PM by Gumb »
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Offline three1four2

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Topaz
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 06:16:05 PM »
I'm thankful for the air suspension in my Disco - often have to use either the off-road or access settings.
pi
Topaz II Savannah 2016 & Disco 4 MY11

Offline Shaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 07:35:32 PM »

Yes, you can get them easy enough, although quite a few Caravan suppliers have ne really heard of them. The price I quoted was grabbed of Caravans Plus website this morning. I also didn't mention that obviously it needs a normal ridged tube jockey wheel.

Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Swag!

Offline Phil G

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
There's a lot to be said for a removable jockey wheel.  Our full size caravan has one and its dead easy to put it on and take it off - just need somewhere to store it.  But the height is almost infinitely adjustable.
Our Tvan has the normal swing down wheel which works great for us, but it is the correct length.
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

Offline tvan09

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
Same problem for me- got sick of digging holes so I addded an extra clamp on the other side of the drawbar and carry a trail-a-mate hydraulic jockey wheel unit. Makes levelling the van really easy, even when still connected to the Amarok , and in theory can be used as a jack to change  a wheel on the topaz

Hi Jimat, assuming you have a Topaz Series II, are you able to upload a photo of your Trailer-Mate fitted, and how did you attach the bracket for it?

Offline hulbyw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »
The Trailer Mate is a great product but not sure how you could use a Trailer Mate to jack up a Topaz as there is no provision on the Topaz to fit the lifting bracket. Further, the Topaz/Tvans need to be jacked up under the suspension, not the body given the long wheel travel of the MC2 suspension.

To use a standard jockey wheel,the mounting flange (where the DO35 tow pin bolts on) of the gooseneck on the towbar needs to be at least 500mm from level ground (preferably more) to enable the standard jockey wheel to swing up.If you don't have 500mm clearance above ground level, you need to either flip the gooseneck, change the gooseneck or cut and re weld the jockey wheel. TT do have both height jockey wheels so if you have a van on order, you can specify which height jockey wheel you need.

Changing the gooseneck is almost mandatory on a 200 series as the standard Toyota one is too low and cannot be flipped but changing the jockey wheel is usually the only way to go with a Pajero.

We used to have an adjustable height jockey wheel on our Tvan but I was not confidant in it's strength so had the standard jockey wheel cut and re welded. Happy days as no more digging or driving the 4by up on ramps to get the jockey wheel down

Cheers

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:47:06 PM by hulbyw »

Offline jimat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
The trail-a-mate is mounted opposite the fixed jockey wheel with a standard jockey wheel clamp.
It is bolted on to the draw bar in the usual way and the trail-a-mate is taken off when I travel.
Drilling the holes was a bit trickey as there are cables in the draw bar on that side.

Re jacking the Topaz- I have not yet done so but the trailermate comes with an extra clamp thing/lifting bracket  which might go into the sockets for the levelling jacks- yet to be determined if it is possible to lift high enough to get a wheel off. The long suspension travel might prevent this.
So I also have an electric scissor jack on board.
Cooper tires and  no punctures so far.
Topaz II Savanah
Amarok

Offline Rob M

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 12:43:38 PM »
We had exactly the same issue when we picked up our Topaz. The jockey wheel arm is too long. We went back to Track and they arranged for the Queensland dealer to cut 75 mm off the arm. Problem solved at no cost to us.
It is under warranty and as such Track have the responsibility to fix it. I am aware that at least 2 other Topaz owners have had the same done by Track.
Previously 2009 Tvan Canning and now Topaz Series2 towed by Landcruier 200 series

Offline Shaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
We had exactly the same issue when we picked up our Topaz. The jockey wheel arm is too long. We went back to Track and they arranged for the Queensland dealer to cut 75 mm off the arm. Problem solved at no cost to us.
It is under warranty and as such Track have the responsibility to fix it. I am aware that at least 2 other Topaz owners have had the same done by Track.

That is really good will, not warranty. It might have been perfectly ok for a different vehicle.

Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Swag!

Offline Rob M

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 01:26:22 PM »
My view is that the jockey wheel supplied by Track "needs to be Fit for Purpose" . If it does not do the job they need to fix it.
Previously 2009 Tvan Canning and now Topaz Series2 towed by Landcruier 200 series

Offline tvan09

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »
You are right Rob, as the jockey wheel stands it is not fit for the intended purpose and needs to be rectified under warranty.

What is most disappointing is that Track are still building and releasing the Topaz Series II with known issues as is evident when multiple customers have reported and have sought to have the jockey wheel issue rectified.  The same can be said with water ingress into the front storage lockers,  which is one of many issues with my seven week old Topaz - this problem too has a history and vans should no longer be coming off the assembly line with this problem.

As a matter of interest for Tvan owners, the Topaz chassis uses a much more substantial box section and a varying width drawbar with inadequate space to affix another jockey wheel such as the Ark XO.  Drilling into the frame to affix a clamp style bracket to affix a Trailer-Mate or Bos style lift/jockey wheel is definitely possible.  I have chosen to put up with my jockey wheel until June where I have booked the van in for warranty servicing - no unhitching on mildly uneven bitumen or concrete surfaces for me in the interim - and I will keep on digging 😬

Thanks to everyone for their advice and input.

Offline peter_mcc

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »
no unhitching on mildly uneven bitumen or concrete surfaces for me in the interim - and I will keep on digging 😬

As a short term solution what about running the car up on levelling ramps? We've done that before with a Tvan on an unlifted Prado. Easier than digging  ;D

Offline DI5CO

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Not yet but interested in one
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 09:21:12 PM »
My view is that the jockey wheel supplied by Track "needs to be Fit for Purpose" . If it does not do the job they need to fix it.

Fit for purpose for what car?
Rangers have different tow ball height to a Prado which is different to 200 series which is different to a Hilux which is different to a Colorado. Then does it have an aftermarket rear bar, TJM, ARB?
Then is the tongue a genuine or is Hayman Reece or is it a Repco with who knows what goose neck  height from the hitch. Some tongues have various height adjustments.
The tongue needs to be approx 500mm off the ground.