Jockey wheel woes

Started by tvan09, April 24, 2017, 05:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auscgu

Mike great to see the Arc jockey wheel installed
Looks like full down travel with the main body
Is the van on and slope so require the jockey wheel at the lowest setting
How much lift on the hitch with the jockey wheel fully extended

The standard Jockey wheel works fine on the patrol but could do with more down travel
Having the flexibility to adjust would be nice
Just wondering if I would get extra lift with the Arc
Certainly with get less lift

Gumb

Excellent looking jockey wheel. They should be standard.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Shaker

Quote from: Gumb on August 14, 2017, 02:43:33 PM
Excellent looking jockey wheel. They should be standard.

I am fairly sure that they are standard on AORC campers now.

Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

mjkattack

You could just get a new tow bar tongue which steps up front m the sleeve that slides into your car. That's what I did. Cheap (cost $80) and easy fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Toyota Prado
2015 MK iv Muranji
😎😎

Gryphen

My brother has a 2012 Topaz, and he just bought another pair of the stabilizer legs (used at the rear normally) for using in the front, now unless the caravan is in the driveway he doesn't bother with the jockey wheel, he fits the four legs gets it to the right height and level and disconnects from the 4wd, cost him $200 all up, and now he can use the 4 points to get it dead level as well.

VK3GJM

TT was fine with swapping the default jockey wheel with the  Arc XO 750 to a new build due for delivery November 2018.

Regards

Gerald
Savannah Scout.
Discovery 4, 3.0ltr 8 speed, fitted out for long range touring. Fitted with Codan Envoy X2 HF & 9350 Autotune Antenna, VHF/UHF all mode.

Chuin

I just fitted the Ark 750 on the series 2. Mike's pictures were spot on. It's a brilliant jockey wheel.
For Sale-standard issue Topaz jockey wheel, barely used  ::)
2018 Topaz Savannah/2014 Isuzu MU-X

Rolcar52

I had the same problem with the Tvan. Turned the towing tounge 180 degrees which raised the jockey wheel about 50 mm this solved  99% of the problem. Other times I use the Hilift Jack to retract or drop the jockey wheel.

Regards Rolf. 
Rolf & Irene
Pakenham  Victoria
2014 Tvan Murranji with lots / Sold . 2018 Savanah Scout Topaz
2011 Hilux 3ltr Diesel Dual Cab

VK3GJM

Hi All,

After a week of being a nomad, the Arc XO 750 performed brilliant in all conditions. So glad I had it fitted with package.

Savannah Scout.
Discovery 4, 3.0ltr 8 speed, fitted out for long range touring. Fitted with Codan Envoy X2 HF & 9350 Autotune Antenna, VHF/UHF all mode.

Gryphen

Seems I went an alternate path to solve the issue with the jockey wheel being the wrong size (too short/too long)...

... I had mounts for the legs fitted to the front of the van so that I could use 4 legs to get the van perfectly level on any terrain, this doubles up as a 'jockey' wheel as I can put in the two front legs and lift the hitch right up for maximum clearance, you then unhitch, move the 4x4 and lower it to
Level and then put in the two rear legs and make it stable [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IsuzuTopaz

We had same issue but only occasionally on level ground the wheel only needed a lift with the vehicle airbags. But we wanted to lift wheel and have done 2 mods. First being to cut the frame the jockey wheel axle runs through, bend it back and up which gained about 25mm and fill in open gap with a piece of V shaped steel welded in.
Second mod was to unwind the wheel tube all the way out and with the angle grinder cutting blade take 20-25mm off the bottom of the outside tube, cut in notches as per original placement which are marked before cutting off. Wind wheel tube back into outer tube and there is another 25mm. Happy days
Isuzu D-Max
Topaz Series 2

Harry Lissimore

Brilliant!  Why didn't I think of those modifications!  I did get Track (Via Allbrand in QLD) to break the weld and re-position the jockey body on the bracket - moved it 50 mm which worked in about 70% of cases.  When requiring extra height, I would use one of the safety chains and lever the front of the Topaz up or down with one of the stabilizer legs. All a bit fiddley though.  I used to use the airbags to raise the back of the car until I noticed that the airbags became very irregular an deformed and had to replace them.  Apparently airbags aren't meant to be used as jacks. All that was with the MUX.  Now that I have the Landcruiser, the towing tongue is about 50 mm higher and I have no problems at all, and the Topaz still is horizontal when hooked up to the car.

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.