News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Using Weight Distribution System (WDS)with Tvan

Started by Horton, June 05, 2017, 11:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horton

I am taking delivery of a 2007 Tvan shortly. I have been towing an Avan Cruiseliner previously with our Subaru Outback using a WDS to reduce the ball weight. The Subaru is a little underpowered but it got us around the country. Our Tvan will be lighter but will still need a WDS like a Hayman Reece. This won't let us use the Tvan much if at all offroad but until we get the like of a Prado next year we will get by. There are various models of Hayman Reece WDS incuding the "classic" and the "standard". Has anyone ever used a WDS with a Tvan and if so which one is best? There seem to be plenty of used WDSs on Gumtree but am unsure which is appropriate.
Cheers
Peter
Pete
Tvan mk 11
Prado 150

Cruiser 105Tvan

You weill find that the WDHitch will be weight dependant.
You will need to know the hitch weight of the Tvan, as well as it's overall weight.
Once you have those figures, consult the people who make the system and make your choice.
The system will work on made roads, but be a nuisance on bush tracks.
Good Luck with it.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Horton

Thanks Robert. I will have to wait for my Tvan to be delivered from interstate to see how exactly the existing hitch is configured. I don't recall if the connector is on top of the drawbar or not. That will determine to some extent what will be needed. It will be set up as it was set up in the factory 2007. I know ball weight and overall weight so yes I will ask manufacturers what they recommend. As I don't intend to use WDS for long I will probably find used one on Gumtree. Just wondered if anyone has done this with a Tvan and what they used.
Pete
Tvan mk 11
Prado 150

Jim and Lyn

G'day Horton,
I think a call to Track might be in order. You'll get expert information in answer to your question and the lack of responses on here probably means that this question is a first! I've certainly never seen a WDS on a tvan before. The outbacks ball mass at about 180kg is on the limit for a fully loaded tvan and the twenty kilos of extra mass might be of dubious value if you don't need to use it. A tvan is a very different towing experience to other stuff I've towed.
Cheers
Jim
Jim & Lyn
LC100, 1HDFTE and 2005 Tvan

debian

Hi Peter

We use a Hayman-Reese WDH, classic system, 600lb with 30" trunnion spring bars while on made roads and good dirt roads. Release the springs while in the rough stuff. We've got one, so why not use it when you can...the Tvan ball weight is not a little thing. Whichever system you get, make sure you can adjust the height of the hitch to suit an offroad height van.
Ian & Deb
2014 Pajero
2013 Tvan Murranji

MYT150

I would be more worried about getting the tow ball height high enough on the outback to be able to hook up the Tvan fitted with the standard high jockey wheel. Track recommend a tow ball height of 500mm, that is to the flat part of the tongue, not the top of the tow ball. I know with playing around with the Tvan that the standard jockey wheel will only go down to about 450mm tow point height. i would be surprised if the Outback even with a n inverted tongue will get to that height. And anything lower will have the Tvan very nose down, which will put more weight on the tow ball.

Regards

Aidan
Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

Horton

Thanks guys. Aidan yes I think you could be right there. Looks like a vehicle upgrade asap is on the cards.
Peter
Pete
Tvan mk 11
Prado 150