News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Hitch noise

Started by Gumb, June 08, 2017, 10:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumb

Our new Tvan has done about 5k on the current trip and quite a bit on dusty roads. The hitch is making a load creaking noise now which seems to be from the main body section. Is this normal and should it need grease or servicing this early in its life ?
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Lt4vette

Mine did that too. Started quite suddenly, and very noticible. I sprayed silicon lubricant around the moving parts. It didn't fix it immediately - perhaps it needed to work its way in - but it has now stopped creaking.
Thanks,
Russell
Tvan Murranji Mark IV
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jim and Lyn

Gday Gumb,
We found our hitch pin on the DO35 became rusty and was seizing up and groaning a lot. Had to give it a good wire brushing and some Never Seize. I dont have a better solution than it as grease and oil attract a lot of dust and the connection isnt moving enough to be an overheating concern.
Cheers
Jim
Jim & Lyn
LC100, 1HDFTE and 2005 Tvan

Gumb

I've got grease on the pin but the noise seems to be in the body of the hitch. The two swivel arms which hold the cap are extremely hard to move by hand and I'm not sure if they were always that stiff. I read on.ine that pumping grease in via the nipple is recommended.
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Cruiser 105Tvan

Whoever installed the hitch should have pumped grease into the swivel shaft in the main body of the hitch.
If you look there will be a grease nipple halfway along the case body of the hitch.
In a genuine unchanged hitch the nipple will sit straight out.
Inside a hitch extension this straight nipple is unusable, so an angled nipple has to be used.
One that sits straight up, where you can get at it.
Good luck with it.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

HappyTraveller

I've found lately that I've had a creaky noise too. The normal grease points are extremely well greased, ie. the main barrel and the hitch pin.

When I spray around the side bolts on each side of the hitch with CRC, the creaking disappears for awhile but comes back in a day or two. It's clearly coming from the side pivot points. I'm not game to try removing those bolts to lubricate them as I expect they're locked in place somehow. I certainly don't want them coming adrift during a trip.

After my return from my last trip I tried squirting plenty of engine oil on the pivot points. I haven't been on another trip to see if it lasts any longer, but I'm hopeful.

Cheers
Andrew
TVan Mk5
Trakmaster Pilbara Extreme
Landcruiser 200

Gumb

It's definitely not those bolts where the noise is. I can easily move the locating bracket up and down with no noise or effort. I'll pump some grease in to the main body and see if that helps.
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Cruiser 105Tvan

You both have similar problems, possibly not the same cause.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

HappyTraveller

Yes, it does look that way Robert.

Cheers
Andrew
TVan Mk5
Trakmaster Pilbara Extreme
Landcruiser 200

chris_a

Spoke to the suppliers of the hitch at the recent Brisbane Caravan and Camping show. I have an older version with grease nipples on the pivot points on either side of the hitch as well as one on the shaft assembly.

I mentioned that I occasionally use silicon spray on the locking mechanism when it gets bogged up with fine dust. They suggested  oil based sprays and grease should be kept away from the hitch pin and locking mechanism. The shaft assembly should be kept regularly greased to keep it in good working condition.

Suggest you check the hitch tongue in your vehicle. If it is the newer type that has a locking bolt coming in on the diagonal, check it is tight and stopping the tongue from rattling the the vehicle hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami