News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

First dipping of toes into tvan forum waters

Started by JaneH, December 17, 2017, 10:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaneH

Hello :-)
We've had our Mk4 Firetail since August, and taken it on a couple of short trips but this is my first foray onto the forums, prompted my a need to investigate 12 volt fridges on account of the fact that we've never owned one before, much less run one off the electrics in our shiny new van!
I shall ask my question elsewhere, but in the meantime, it's good to be part of the 'hive mind'.  Thank you all for being here.
Regards,
Jane

MarkA

I like the engel range. Tried the others but went back some time ago. Mate is running one that's well over 25 years old.
Now watch the war start. Yes there all good. Yes they all have there faults. But I gave up after 3 Waco units failed just outside warranty and the cost of repair made it hit n miss as to worth.
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3
And a Mountian of stuff I don't think we need but apparently it's vital camp equipment.

robstevens

I've used a 40Litre Engel since 1998 and it works fine to this day. Problem is, it doesn't fit into the front fridge slide on the Tvan (Firetail) so I had to do some research as to what else would be suitable.

After looking around (a lot) I came to the conclusion that for us, the Evakool 60 Litre "icebox" looking fibreglass fridge would suit us fine. It fits into the space in the slide, and although 60 litres, it weighs the same as our 40 litre Engel. I am about to head for the Victorian High Country after Christmas, taking both it and the Engel with us, so will report back as to how it all went later in the new year!

Cheers
Rob
2017 Mk4 (Firetail)
2019 Landcruiser 200 GXL (4.6 petrol)

Cruiser 105Tvan

Welcome Jane. 
Plenty of info on this Forum, with Pics. also. 
If you can't find it with a search, there's probably some who can help, just ask.
I carry a 60Ltr. F/Fzr. in my 105 all the time.  I just turn it on when I need it, hasn't failed yet, was new in 2009.
I have a 45Ltr. Engel that lives in the Canning Tvan. when travelling. Both work well.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

joga

Welcome to the Tvan clan.
We use an Engel we bought in 1987. Doesn't look the best, but still keeps everything cold.
It travels in the back of the Prado.
Joe & Gay
2016 Prado shoved along by a 2014 Murranji

Gumb

I have an Evakool 47L in the front box and it's great. (The white fibreglass model which is basically their ice box with a motor attached)
I've also got a 40l Waeco which we use in the tug as a freezer but the Evakool is a far better unit and holds temps better using less power. Highly recommended.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

mrs quilty

Quote from: Gumb on December 17, 2017, 09:50:25 PM
I have an Evakool 47L in the front box and it's great. (The white fibreglass model which is basically their ice box with a motor attached)
I've also got a 40l Waeco which we use in the tug as a freezer but the Evakool is a far better unit and holds temps better using less power. Highly recommended.

Hi, are still happy with the Evakool? We are looking at either the ARB 60 litre and the Evakool.
Anyone else have any comments?

Merilyn

Merilyn
LC 200 GX
2019 Scout

Eelezy

Dont knock the Waeco brand too much...we have two and both have been fantastic...the newer models cfx models are even better than the older cf one we have...we have the older 50 litre cf and the new 28 litre cfx that sits on the inside shelf of the tvan...
Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

Gumb

Yes, the Evakool is terrific. I like the ability to change the inside with the baffle so I can have all fridge, all freezer or a combination of both. It's been taken over some pretty rough corrugations and never missed a beat. I don't doubt that the higher end Waeco range is also very good, I can only compare to my CF40. One thing I like about the EvaKool is that the compressor is on the outside, not part of the main body (although they do have a model like that). I reckon it gets better air flow around it and doesn't heat up the fridge compartment from below, which is important in the confines of the front box on the Tvan.
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Cruiser 105Tvan

Evakool are available from Track Outback HQ nowadays as well.
Robert.

max

I have an Engel that is over 15 yrs old, never missed a beat.
I'm on my 2nd 60 ltr ARB which fits perfectly into the front box of the MK4. The 1st one failed out of the box, relaced no questions asked. The 2nd has worked without any issues. Had for 2 1/2 years and done a few mulitple week trips up North with the temp set at -2 the whole time.

max
Max
MKIV Murranji

Gumb

Quote from: Cruiser 105Tvan on December 05, 2018, 05:09:19 PM
Evakool are available from Track Outback HQ nowadays as well.
I got mine from Award RV in Ferntree Gully, I bet they are a lot cheaper than Track.
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Cruiser 105Tvan

Award RV are only 10 Mins. down the road, and yes, probably cheaper.
I don't think anyone will disagree at all.
Award RV are also a source of all sorts of gear that Track don't carry.
Robert.