News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Tvan Locks

Started by neilv, February 21, 2018, 01:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilv

I have found so many good Ideas on the forum, now I will try to give back.

On our last trip the dust prevented the locks from functioning on the TVan doors. I went to SouthCo to replace them and they suggested locks with special keys and dust covers. The keys do not have the fine tumblers found on the existing locks so are not affected by dust and the dust cap is added protection.

I have also fitted an additional non lockable lock to each door for when we are opening and closing around the camp, no key required, then when travelling or when required lock the lockable lock.

Have yet to try it in the dust but is working fine around the easy camp sites.

The photos should explain the system better.

Neil & Lyn
2011 TVan Canning
2015 Prado GXL

robstevens

Unless I'm mistaken, that's the system that Track use now... Our Mk4 Firetail has almost exactly these locks, and dust covers.
2017 Mk4 (Firetail)
2019 Landcruiser 200 GXL (4.6 petrol)

neilv

I haven't seen the new vans, glad to see a parallel solution. So much for sharing something new, I'll have to keep thinking.
Neil & Lyn
2011 TVan Canning
2015 Prado GXL

Shaker

Funnily enough, that is the same key set up that Track Trailer used on the Eagles, I still have a spare key hanging in the shed!
Sounds like the wheel has turned a full circle.
Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

Nev

Hi NeilV
Do you know the part number of the SouthCo locks. Would like to order some.
Nev
2013, 76 Series Landcruser,
2011 Tvan Murranji.

neilv

Hi Nev

The Company is SouthCo
Non Locking - E3-107-065
Locking with Southco key - E3-105-075
Dust covers - These have to be specified as they are optional extras. If you don't use the dust covers the part number for the Locking latch changes to E3-105-065 as the dust cover adds thickness to the grip.

The contact I had at SouthCo was Jim 03 9330 5000. Buying direct was about 1/3 the price of the local industrial lock supplier & they had the parts.

Nev, are you the same Nev we met at Riversleigh and then again at Lawn Hill last year. Bushwalking with your two new knees???

Hope this helps.
Neil & Lyn
2011 TVan Canning
2015 Prado GXL

Nev

Hi Neil & Lyn
Yes that's me you meet.
Got back to Perth near the end of August over 5 1/2 mouths on the road.
Thanks for the information.
Nev

Nev
2013, 76 Series Landcruser,
2011 Tvan Murranji.

Young Nomads

Thanks for your info neilv
What locks did you have on it before?..or didn't it have a turn key lock fitted?
Our MK 3 with newer front box, (2013),  has had these type from new..just a hint with the caps. Loosen the lock at the back, just enough to rotate the rubber cap. Rotate the cap to hinge towards the front of the TVan...this helps to stop a stick ripping off the cap  when "scrub bashing" or having fun!. Also..if you didn't quite click the cap shut, in this position, it won't flap around when travelling.
They are good locks!!

cheers
Robyn
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

neilv

The locks fitted originally could be turned to close the door without key or locked by inserting the key and turning it. The key was a standard cut lock key as you would use on your house door. In bull dust conditions the tumblers inside the lock clogged with dust so that it was not possible to lock them.
Thanks for the hint on the orientation, good to learn from other rather than by experience.
Neil & Lyn
2011 TVan Canning
2015 Prado GXL

Young Nomads

Can you post the pic of the one that was there Neil..You've sparked my curiosity, as to which lock it was
John & Robyn.
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!

ccol2621

Has anyone tried replacing the older locks (Mk2), ours go through phases of sticking.  TIA.
MKII Canning TVAN - short drawbar.
2014 Prado 150 (facelift diesel auto)

AsH_

Quote from: neilv on February 24, 2018, 01:46:31 PM
The locks fitted originally could be turned to close the door without key or locked by inserting the key and turning it. The key was a standard cut lock key as you would use on your house door. In bull dust conditions the tumblers inside the lock clogged with dust so that it was not possible to lock them.
Thanks for the hint on the orientation, good to learn from other rather than by experience.

Coming back from my central australia trip all my locks are near impossible to fully turn and lock with key. I found on my mk3 2011 the winged latches have begun to strip paint off the doors from all the dirt and dust.  I gave them a good spray when washing down the tvan but im considering replacing all the locks with the ones mentioned above.

Young Nomads

Quote from: neilv on February 21, 2018, 01:51:23 PM
I have found so many good Ideas on the forum, now I will try to give back.

On our last trip the dust prevented the locks from functioning on the TVan doors. I went to SouthCo to replace them and they suggested locks with special keys and dust covers. The keys do not have the fine tumblers found on the existing locks so are not affected by dust and the dust cap is added protection.

I have also fitted an additional non lockable lock to each door for when we are opening and closing around the camp, no key required, then when travelling or when required lock the lockable lock.

Have yet to try it in the dust but is working fine around the easy camp sites.

The photos should explain the system better.

Just a hint..to keep the rubber covers in place..turn the rubber cover to make it open away from the front..that is..side ways. This will stop them being ripped out/ off from passing trees or bushes...as per the pics..second one is wrong..First one, hinging away from potential damage or loss, is the correct way

John & Robyn.

clouty

Thanks Neil. I am just about to add the second non-lockable latch to the front box doors. Out of interest, how did you "make" the hole for the lock. A drill the appropriate size I think would make a mess of the thin material. Thanks. Luke
Luke
2012 Murranji
2013 Land Rover Defender 90

Phil W

Hi Guys, I have ordered the non locking latches and would be interested to know what type of drill was used in making the 22.5mm Dia hole in the doors?? Thanks to Neil for the Pt. Nos. Although I think I have forgotten to order the Spur washers as I will be using a round hole.
Phil
Phil & Kylie
150 Prado & MkIII Murranji