News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Destinations with a Topaz

Started by pboothby, April 29, 2018, 12:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pboothby

Hi,  just joined the forum as we are thinking of purchasing a Topaz  in the coming months and was wondering if there were destinations out there that the Topaz would not be suitable for.  For example steep point / Dirk Hartog Island / Canning Stock route / Fraser Island etc.  Will be towing with a 2015 GXL 200 series Landcruiser.  The topaz is a bit weighty so  was keen to hear from any topaz owners with advice on where not to take them.

Cheers

Peter.
2015 GXL 200 series, MSA drawers, Safari snorkel, Safari ECU remap, dual speed lockup converter, Redback 3" exhaust w/- dual cats, Provent catch can.

Young Nomads

We don't have a Topaz, but...logistically, height, weight and narrow tracks, will likely restrict your travels in places... like the Simpson, even. I stand corrected if others have done these tracks.

The power of the Tojo is ok but maintaining momentum (due to weight & size of Topaz) will probably stop you from going on a lot of tracks.

We have a TVan and a "black top" caravan...Our TVan will go anywhere our car will. We'd be reluctant to get a Topaz, for that reason.
Anyway..everyone is different...obviously hahaha
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

pboothby

Hi John,

For sure what you have said makes sense and is what we were also thinking but wanted to check out what folks have actually experienced versus what we are told by the sales guys.  We are seriously reviewing the Tvan option again.  The big draw card for the Topaz was the inside kitchen away from mozzies, dust, wind and cold if need be.   But the weight will most likely prevent us from doing some of the more challenging tracks, plus added fuel costs and wear and tear on the cruiser. 

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Peter.
2015 GXL 200 series, MSA drawers, Safari snorkel, Safari ECU remap, dual speed lockup converter, Redback 3" exhaust w/- dual cats, Provent catch can.

Wildmax

Peter,
We moved from a much-loved TVan to an AOR Eclipse (similar dimensions and weight to the Topaz). Very happy with the new unit and our reasons were similar to yours - weather options, inside cooking and so on.
But there are a few tracks we could do with the TVan which are probably not an option with the Eclipse - Anne Beadell and Googs to give a couple of examples.
However there are other tracks we've done on which we would not recommend towing anything (Canning and Simpson for example), where we just use the tent. Having said that, many others trke trailers on those tracks - and I do think it's possible to take a TVan anywhere you want. There is nothing else on the market that compares in my view.
Cheers
Wildmax
MY2018 dual cab Hilux SR auto with all the ARB gear
Previously: TVan Canning MkIII
now: AOR Eclipse III + Black Wolf 210 tent

Dick and Tanya

Hi we have had a series one topaz for six years and after a lifetime of tent and swag absolutely love it. However, last year elected to do the Canning with a swag and while we now believe the Topaz could have done it we are still happy with out decision not to take the Topaz. It would have been hard work for the driver.  One of our party had car trouble and we bailed out at well 24 so are going back to the Canning this year and will leave the Topaz at Wiluna and go to Well 23 then loop back to pick it up. We have taken the Topaz every where else, Tanami, Gibb, Trans Continental etc.

Rob M

We have towed a Tvan the full length of the Canning with a Prado 150. Have now upgraded to a Topaz and would not consider trying to tow it down the Canning.
The tow vehicle would be working so hard and I doubt you would be able to carry sufficient fuel to get from Well 33 to Granite Peak station.
Towing 2.2 tonnes up the softest and steepest dunes would be a daunting task. Hard enough with a Tvan. Soft dry sand is the killer.
You could guarantee that the Topaz would be severely scratched and pin striped as the grevellia and wattle growing on the sides of the track overhang.
Just asking too much of the entire rig and risk of damage or break down would increase

Fraser Is no trouble if you pick the low tide and stay out of really soft sand.
Previously 2009 Tvan Canning and now Topaz Series2 towed by Landcruier 200 series

Young Nomads

We did the Colson to Geosurveyor's Hill, the south to the Geocentre of the Simpson last year..60% no track and we towed our TVan. We can safely say, we are the first to do the cross country crossing from the Colson to Geo Hill, towing a TVan. The Madigan was a dream, compared to this one...had a great time and glad we had the right vehicle to tow.!
The departure angle and the ability of the TVan's suspension, would not likely have been safely achieved by another "trailer/ camper" on the market
...Mainly because of the TVan has such good suspension travel and tracking capability than any other vehicle on the market
We are doing all these types of tracks with our Tvan, before we'll consider changing to a Topaz.
We've still got more to go.
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

pboothby

Many thanks for all the great feedback.  Seems to me that one has to tough it a bit using the TVAN to get to those really out of the way places and then upgrade to the Topaz for a more comfortable season of touring the less challenging tracks and destinations.   Just wondering if anyone  has done Dirk  Hartog with a Topaz.  Will the rig even fit on the ferry?  Much to ponder on..

Cheers

Peter.

three1four2

Ideally, you need one of each [emoji13]
pi
Topaz II Savannah 2016 & Disco 4 MY11

Cruiser 105Tvan

Quote from: three1four2 on May 10, 2018, 09:14:22 PM
Ideally, you need one of each [emoji13]

You can fix that for them can't you Paul.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

three1four2

Quote from: Cruiser 105Tvan on May 10, 2018, 10:29:17 PM
You can fix that for them can't you Paul.
I reckon I could, Robert!
pi
Topaz II Savannah 2016 & Disco 4 MY11

pboothby

Yes both would be great - Buy a topaz get a tvan free?  What a great deal that would be!  ;)

Peter

Cruiser 105Tvan

Sorry Pete, I don't think it quite works like that.
;D ;D ;D
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Leenet5658

Quote from: pboothby on May 10, 2018, 08:33:06 PM
   Just wondering if anyone  has done Dirk  Hartog with a Topaz.  Will the rig even fit on the ferry?  Much to ponder on..

Hi Peter,
I have towed the MK1 Topaz into Steep Point with the 200 series, it was a good good test for car and van, there are a couple of steep soft sandhills to get over and the track is narrow in places. I didn't go across to the Island but you should be able to contact the Barge operator and find out.