News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

New TVan owner - finally

Started by RAR110, June 16, 2018, 08:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAR110

Thanks Rob. I took the top of the regulator and found the adjustment screw. Thanks Gumb I decided to get a new bottle just in case, even though weight wasn't much different between old and new. The regulator looks pretty new.

Still the same flame.

I previously had a alloy Kelly type kettle. I don't really want to have to carry another thing when the stove should easily do the job. I have a trangia metho stove but again gas should burn as well but cleaner.
TVan Mk2 & RAAF Tactical Trailer

MarkA

Looks to me like your jet is partially blocked. Remove the jet and see if you can see light through it. A fine wire can be used to poke through it to clean it, reassemble and test.  I believe some people on the forum have drilled it out slightly larger to improve the quality of the flame..
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3
And a Mountian of stuff I don't think we need but apparently it's vital camp equipment.

RAR110

Thanks Mark. Both burners are the same. Is that relevant? Where is the jet located?

My 1st impressions may have sounded a bit negative. I'm still happy with the purchase. It's a lot of camper.

I like how there is a Jerry can holder next to the kitchen. I have a water jet ther with a tap so I don't need to rely on battery powered pump. Also the piezo stove lighter doesn't rely on power is good. 

MarkA

The Jets are located under the burner tops. I have a mk3 but I assume yours is similar,  to access the jets undo the 2 screws in the top of the burner and lift up the top you should see a small brass nut located in the middle of the burner. That's you're jet, remove it and hold it up to a light, you should see some light (some of the jets have a mesh packed into the back, you may need to remove that and soak it in WD40 to clean)  I work with LPG, it's an amazingly dirty fuel considering it's a gas/processed liquid fuel,  blocked jets are not unusual,  the hole will be quite small, I use fine copper wire to clean the ones for work,  if after a good clean you find you still need more heat you can dril out the jet,  but use caution and only open it with a small drill a tiny bit at a time,   
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3
And a Mountian of stuff I don't think we need but apparently it's vital camp equipment.

Cruiser 105Tvan

There should be a size marked on the jet too.
I can remember posts where people have reamed the jet out, but it wasn't by much.
If you end up with a big yellow & sooty flame, start again, coz you've made it way too big.

Can you name the brand of stove, or is that embarrassing?

Someone may have fixed the same type/Brand.

I purchased a small camping stove from Anna****a and a 400gm. bottle of Propane/Butane camping mix.
The stove fits inside most mugs, and the bottle is about 125mm diam. and just as tall.  All up about $55.00  the lot.
A Litre of water boiled in under 3 Mins.  and a lot of them come with piezo lighters now.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

RAR110

Thanks gents. Checking the jets will have to wait until I'm home as removing needs a very small torx screw driver.

The tvan stove lift up cover has a brand called Dometic Cramer.

My old single burner is a Gasmate I bought at least 20 years ago, and looks it. But just keeps going. [emoji1]

Gumb

I think for $30 I'd be investing in a new one of those. Safety first.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

MarkA

Check out  auscrown, we use there wok burner. Awesome. Boils water in no time flat.  Packs up to around the same size as you're burner but minus the disposable bottle. 
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3

Pete and Lez

https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-pedestal-foot-smallfoot-35-60mm_p2450074

Try these instead of the adjustable legs on the floor of the camper, were suggested ages ago on here and they work brilliantly.

Cheers

Don't think that link works, but if you search bunnings for pedestal foot they should come up.
2015 76 Landcruiser GXL
2007 MK11 TVan Tanami

RAR110

Quote from: MarkA on June 24, 2018, 11:45:42 AM
Check out  auscrown, we use there wok burner. Awesome. Boils water in no time flat.  Packs up to around the same size as you're burner but minus the disposable bottle.
Thanks mark. While the Gasmate looks decrepit, it functions very well, incl safety restrictions. The Auscrown looks a good product b

RAR110

Quote from: Pete and Lez on June 24, 2018, 05:58:30 PM
https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-pedestal-foot-smallfoot-35-60mm_p2450074

Try these instead of the adjustable legs on the floor of the camper, were suggested ages ago on here and they work brilliantly.

Cheers

Don't think that link works, but if you search bunnings for pedestal foot they should come up.

Thanks Pete, the link did work. However a 30mm adjustment wouldn't have worked in my current campsite. I needed more adjustment than that.

Pete and Lez

Quote from: RAR110 on June 24, 2018, 10:22:21 PM
Thanks Pete, the link did work. However a 30mm adjustment wouldn't have worked in my current campsite. I needed more adjustment than that.

They do a bigger one with a larger adjustment. 70 - 170mm

Cheers

2015 76 Landcruiser GXL
2007 MK11 TVan Tanami

Jim and Lyn

G'day,
Only just seen this post about your stove. We've got the same model and had a similar problem - but nowhere near as bad as yours! Initially i opened the Jets out a bit but the flame slowly got worse and yellow over the years. Playing with the regulator - a two stage model - did nothing like you've said. So i bought a new reg for $25 and was fortunate to find  two Jets at a caravan repair place. Installed them, cranked up the pressure and now my flames are blue and actually hiss!
The regs gum up with wax and after 10 or 12 years are ready for the bin!
Don't bore out your Jets before a reg change! They are made from unobtanium!
Cheers
Jim
Jim & Lyn
LC100, 1HDFTE and 2005 Tvan

RAR110

Is it worth while boiling the jets in water to help clear out the blockage?

Cruiser 105Tvan

Quote from: RAR110 on June 26, 2018, 06:20:26 PM
Is it worth while boiling the jets in water to help clear out the blockage?

You could give it a try, Just don't use the camper stove.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.