Main Menu

New TVan owner - finally

Started by RAR110, June 16, 2018, 08:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAR110

TVan Mk2 & RAAF Tactical Trailer

Howezit

Quote from: hulbyw on June 20, 2018, 06:01:03 PM
Unfortunately no. They both have a bungy that stretches around the "mouth" of the Tvan and it would be extremely difficult to stretch the tent bungy around the mouth if the hatch canvas was already in place.
We have gotten this to work by doing it the other way around.
Put the tent up as usual.
And then put the screen up around it.
Graham & Debbie Howe
Driving : Nissan Patrol 4.2 TDi
Towing : Tvan Tanami Mk4

Ajax1

Nice to know, great work

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Young Nomads

Quote from: William_Foster on June 18, 2018, 09:55:00 PM
Nomads, your feedback raises a question for me; can you close the hatch and reopen it from the inside? I had always thought that you wouldn't be able to but I was hoping you could for when it was very wet and rainy or for quick stop overs (I have never actually seen inside a Tvan for more than a brief look so no doubt there is much more I have to learn when mine arrives).
Short answer yes..just push it open..just lock the outside, hatch overcentre catches back and padlock them. So they won't accidently flick back into the catch hook!..with a wiggle and lying on your back, you can get dressed ok. Just hooking the strap (side) to the edge of the hatch opening, to hold it part way up, helps to let your legs hang out a little. But still give you some privacy.

You'll have so much fun just seeing how everything works and mods you may want to do

John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

hulbyw

Quote from: Howezit on June 21, 2018, 01:25:45 PM
We have gotten this to work by doing it the other way around.
Put the tent up as usual.
And then put the screen up around it.
As soon as I finished typing the words unfortunately no, I had a feeling that someone somewhere will have tried it and maybe succeeded. Well done
Cheers

William_Foster

Quote from: Young Nomads on June 21, 2018, 09:52:46 PM
You'll have so much fun just seeing how everything works and mods you may want to do

I was looking for a new project, I have done pretty much all I can to our Hilux; it's always good to have a new project on the horizon :)
2018 Tvan Scout
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5

RAR110

Some pics and first impressions after 1st set up at Stradbroke Island.

- I agree the AT035 seems to be a PIA. I much prefer an army pintle set up. It's noisy. It groans every time I turn, despite a good go with grease gun. The pintle goes clunk but doesn't groan. I need to give it a good degrease now, as get covered every time I touch it.
- tent setup is quite quick. I'm sure I will get even quicker.
- the awning was not as bad as I thought. Certainly easier than my last camper. But am happy to be getting Baron's quick awning bracket set up.
- the legs under the floor keep dropping. I keep trying to tighten them but am worried about breaking the plastic turn handle.
- is the heat from the stove supposed to be minimal/economical? I can barely see a flame. There doesn't seem to be and control over the heat. It's either on or off. I gave up waiting for water to boil, and pulled out the old butane single burner.
- id forgotten these don't have rear stabiliser legs to help level the van. Do people use caravan chocks?
- I haven't sorted the battery terminals yet so now power inside.

My TVan has all merit sockets. Do owners convert some merit sockets to standard cig lighter sockets?  Or do you convert all accessories to merit plugs, or buy lights etc with merit plugs?

Some other pics. The path to the beach.

The same spot looking back to campsite.

RAR110

Another weird thing about the TVan is the 240v plug. It's a 15amp point. I bought a standard 10amp extension cord with me which doesn't fit. Why would Track fit a 15amp connection? The only 15 amp point at home is for welding.

RAR110

Here's a pic of the stove flame. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Still not boiled after 20 min.

Shaker

Quote from: RAR110 on June 23, 2018, 01:53:59 PM
Another weird thing about the TVan is the 240v plug. It's a 15amp point. I bought a standard 10amp extension cord with me which doesn't fit. Why would Track fit a 15amp connection? The only 15 amp point at home is for welding.

Because regulations say that they have to, also caravan parks insist on 15amp leads
Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

Ajax1

Quote from: RAR110 on June 23, 2018, 01:53:59 PM
All caravans are 15amp plugs. If you don't have a 15amp point at home you are supposed to use adaptor like below.
Which part of Straddie did you camp?

Ajax1

Quote from: RAR110 on June 23, 2018, 02:31:21 PM
Here's a pic of the stove flame. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Still not boiled after 20 min.
That looks like you have a fault. We were going to buy a jetboil for coffees in the morning, but were very surprised how quick the billy boiled compared to our last camper

Cruiser 105Tvan

Get into the top of the gas regulator. inside the tubular bit on top there's an adjustment.
Carefully and slowly unscrew it till you get a change in the flame.  Have someone watching the stove.
If the adjuster slug is right down the bottom inside the regulator there won't be much gas getting passed.
If you screw it out too far, you can always screw it back in a bit.
Flame should be Blue and about 20-25mm long.

Or you might be in the very bottom of the bottle for gas.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

RAR110

Quote from: Ajax1 on June 23, 2018, 02:42:09 PM
That looks like you have a fault. We were going to buy a jetboil for coffees in the morning, but were very surprised how quick the billy boiled compared to our last camper

Thanks Ajax & Shaker. I didn't realise caravan pls require 15amp. Any idea what the fault could be. Both burners are the same. Not fatal this weekend.

We are at Home Beach.

Gumb

You're either out of gas or you need a new regulator.

We carry a $30 camping stove with us and that beats the Tvan stove for heat every day. Even on our new mk4 with full bottles. We still use them but for quick toast in the morning, the camping stove and gas cartridge gets a run. For all out hot water, we use a Kelly Kettle. Saves on gas and costs nothing to run.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS