News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

ESC retro fit on MK11 Topaz

Started by outbacktrev, April 04, 2022, 12:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outbacktrev

G'Day All,
               Anybody either done themselves or had fitted ESC to the electric brakes of a 2016, or there abouts, Topaz 11.
Am considering it MAY be worthwhile for both safety and my insurance company (RAA South Australia) offers 10% discount on insurance premiums so I see the install of ESC as a win win situation. Open for comment
Thanks for your input in advance.
Cheers,
            Trevor
2021 GXL 200 series Toyota   2016 Topaz series 2.

NichBails

Hi Trevor - I would have thought that your LandCruiser would have ESC which would eliminate the need to have it fitted to your Topaz.
Cheers
Bruce
Bruce & Lynda
2015 Defender 110
Topaz II 2016
Australia we love

outbacktrev

Nichbails,
              The 200 LC has ETC, (Electronic Traction Control) but not Electronic Stability Control.
2 different animals.
Cheers,
           Trevor

Pete930

I think you'll find you have to be a licensed ESC fitter to do the job.

The van will have to be measured, a unit made, then installed to the Topaz.

Also another Anderson plug to be fitted to the vehicle as well

Pete

NichBails

Hi Trevor,
From reading the specs on the LandCruiser it has ABS, traction control, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and trailer sway control plus some other fancy stuff. See the following link -
https://autotalk.com.au/industry-news/trailer-sway-control-for-landcruiser-200-series.
Most modern 4WD's have these safety enhancements these days. So I don't think you would need a system fitted to your Topaz.  We've got a 2015 Defender which has VSC (surprising  :D) and we have never had a stability issue towing the Topaz - mind you we don't often go over 100km/hr when towing and tend to stick around 90. Im sure the LandCruiser would be more stable than the defender so you should be fine. With regards to your insurance perhaps you should claim that your car has ESC ??.
Cheers

Bruce & Lynda
2015 Defender 110
Topaz II 2016
Australia we love

outbacktrev

NichBails,
              I stand or sit corrected. Looks like we have more bells and whistles than I knew about.

Thanks for the input all, looks like one less thing to install on the TOPAZ.
Cheers,
            Trevor :D :D

rjdart

Hi Trevor,

Only had our TOPAZ short time but found tyre pressures solves issues as service centre utilised the maths of tyre size and ATM of TOPAz. This figure was 70PSI which had TOPAz and Ranger bouncing and a little sway happening.
I have since, worked on the 6PSI rule as TOPAz has 4WD LT tyres and size. SO, start at TRACK recommended on A frame, for me was 36PSI manual was 32PSI. When heading out drive for sometime checking pressure, and heat with hand, which should feel same across tow and TOPAz. IF at 6PSI, "bingo", if lower follow guide found at Cooper tyres. Inclusive of other useful information?
https://www.coopertires.com.au/the-cooper-difference/tyres-explained/tyre-pressure-guide

Remember this pressure is always constantly variable pending roads, and which part of Australia. So, I always add it into my daily safety checks when travelling hour, or two driving; have a break check tyre pressures 5 minutes, and a cuppa...

Cheers!!
RobD...
"Encompass life, Breathe."

Phil G

Trevor,
The Caravan ESC and your vehicle ESC are different systems. 
The caravan ESC is designed to detect sway (sideways movement) in the caravan and correct it by applying the caravan brakes.  Uncorrected sway can lead to caravan and vehicle rollovers.

I have the ALKO ESC fitted to our 2.5T offroad caravan and its a reassuring safety feature to have.  But I'd never bother with it for our Tvan because I doubt a Tvan would ever sway.  Not sure I'd bother with it with a Topaz either.   Certainly desirable in big twin axle caravans.

The downside with caravan ESC is that it needs to be disconnected when offroad to avoid it inadvertently applying the brakes.

A read of this might help:  https://www.amae.net.au/2020/06/17/caravan-esc-what-is-it-and-why-should-you-get-it/
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

boobook

The Landcruiser Sway control from about 2013 also detects sideways movement when towing and applies the right barkes and put the rear brake lights on. I connected my brake controller to the taillights, not the brake pedal for this reason.

https://autotalk.com.au/industry-news/trailer-sway-control-for-landcruiser-200-series

So far "touch wood" I have never tested it though.
Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

outbacktrev

Thanks for all the replies people. We have had a couple of T Vans and agree ESC on a T Van would be unnecessary. We have also had a ZONE off road van which was equipped with DEXTER stability control which, as far as I am aware, never operated as the van used to sit well on the road at just about any speed. The TOPAZ, as stated by others, probably doesn't need ESC either, but was just looking at reducing insurance premium by 10% with my current insurer, who I do not intend to change anytime soon.
Yes tyre pressures play an important roll in most motor pursuits and I adjust accordingly.
Once again thanks for all the input and if nothing else has created a bit of action and discussion on the site.
Cheers for now and safe travels to all.
Trevor  ;D