Author Topic: Battery Power Problems  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Rolcar52

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Re: Battery Power Problems
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2018, 09:40:39 PM »
Hi Harry,
Are your batteries AGM's or Lead Crystal. if they are lead Crystal  apparently they go to sleep when charged the same as AGM's , and require full discharge then charged @ 30% of capacity, ie 90 AMP/Hr battery needs to be charged at 30 Amp.  We took our new Topaz Savanah Scout  on its maiden voyage recently and found that the 25 amp projecta AC/DC charger took a long time to charge batteries, we were though using 3 fridges. 

Regards Rolf. 
Rolf & Irene
Pakenham  Victoria
2014 Tvan Murranji with lots / Sold . 2018 Savanah Scout Topaz
2011 Hilux 3ltr Diesel Dual Cab

Offline Jenny

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Topaz
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2018, 08:23:19 AM »
Harry, I would check the breakers /12 volt there are 4, sounds like you are drawing to many amps .
What they do is cut out when hot and restart the fridge to which does draw more amp off Battery
Also check the solar panel is not breaking down when hot and only allowing 1 to 2 amp input
Use a amp reader on the lead when charging to check input on solar a volt metre, will show full charge off battery / 13.2 volts
So if the breakers are the problem replace them to a 60amp breaker. The ones we had in we’re 20 and 40 amp. I changed the fridge out to a Isotherm and a trail blazer, this is when we found the problem. How much solar have you. Input should be minimum 11amps to keep batteries charged.

Offline Jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2018, 08:25:49 AM »
Also you need to upgrade your projector to a minimum 40amp to recover your batteries in a 8 hour charge when on power.

Offline Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2018, 10:50:51 AM »
Jenny, I have the rooftop 120W Solar panel, plus 2 x 120 W portables.  I usually would only put one out.

The Vitron Meter tells me that everything is charging properly, I can predict how much the fridges will draw overnight and my predictions are pretty much on the mark for the % the batteries are down overnight.  When they charge, I see the voltage is around 13 volts and can max to 14.3 before the charger switches to maintenance and stays at about 13.7 with ample sunlight.

On 240V charge, 13.7 volts is stable.

Heat fuses - my understanding is that there are 3 large blade fuses for major DC power in and out and then a heat circuit breaker that takes power to about 8 heat power breakers and these breakers supply power to all peripheral devices - lights, fridges etc.  If the main heat circuit breaker tripped, all power would go out, and if an individual one tripped, I think I would notice the power going on and off, so I can't see how that would get passed me.  Also, if these heat breakers were triggering, the power used would be measured by the Vitron and as I said, the Vitron gives predictable power useage overnight.

I'll see what happens with these new batteries.  I won't leave them charging when at home, I'll just top them up every month for a couple of hours.
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST

Offline Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
Rolcar52,

I have Fullriver AGMs.  I did not know that AGMs go to sleep, but one thing I will be doing is take them down to about 50%charge every 3 months and then charge them up to 100% just to show them who's boss, and also to test whether they still have the capacity (as seen by the voltage dropping too low under load) to run my 2 fridges  at that level of discharge. I can only charge at maximum 25A though with the Projecta.

However, that Vitron measures all power in and out as I understand it,  whether the AGMs have gone to sleep or not and the Vitron says the AGMs are at 100% charge and the resting voltage is around 13.0 V.  They can't to my knowledge (and it is limited) be not fully charged at night before the fridges draw down overnight.  Its as if the defective 105AH AGMs were really only 30A AGMs. Take 15A out of each of them and the voltage under load is about 11V ie FLAT!

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST