News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Battery Power Problems

Started by Harry Lissimore, September 03, 2018, 04:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser 105Tvan

Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Harry Lissimore

Measured the voltage on the battery terminals at 4 am this morning and yesterday morning and voltage is 10.6 with one fridge running, which agrees exactly with the vitron and projecta charger which is turned off. The vitron indicates that the batteries are 89% charged. With fridges turned off the battery voltage is 12.5v.

I might try isolating the batteries and just run off 1 and see if they individually have the same issues. Any other ideas would be welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Gumb

If the voltage is 10.6, then the fridge wouldn't be running as you said in your original post. But this post would indicate that the fridge is running ? Are both batteries at 10.6 ?

You will get voltage drop while a fridge is running and my single battery running a freezer in the car would go from 12.5 to 12.2 or thereabouts.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Harry Lissimore

Gumb, at 10.6v the isotherm fridge will run but the arb won't. When the isotherm fridge turns off then the voltage goes back to about 12.5.

Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Harry Lissimore

Gumb I haven't measured each individual battery because I would have to disconnect one, hook the other one up and do the measurements. That's a bit complicated for me at 4 am in the morning. I can't run the batteries down during the day because the rooftop solar is keeping everything charged and I don't know how to disconnect it. I haven't got a ladder either to put a blanket over it.

Gumb

So have you tried it with the Isotherm off? It sounds like it's drawing too much current ?
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

dave

Should be easy to isolate the batteries from each other by removing the fusible link at the battery that you would like to remove from the circuit.

Harry Lissimore

Either fridge brings the battery voltage to about 10.6 and they are on different circuits.
I measure the battery voltage at the bolts that hold the lugs down and not at the lugs.
What fusable link between batteries?  They are just connected by wires.

Cruiser 105Tvan

Quote from: Harry Lissimore on September 08, 2018, 03:08:12 PM
Either fridge brings the battery voltage to about 10.6 and they are on different circuits.
I measure the battery voltage at the bolts that hold the lugs down and not at the lugs.

I think he's referring to the Self resetting Circuit Breakers in the tin can enclosures with the two bolts as terminals.
I haven't known Track to use 'Fusible Links'. but I may be misinformed.
They may be somewhere behind the control panel, instead of near the battery. 
It'd be a matter of following wires, and maybe marking them (the circuit breaker) when you find them, so you know next time.
You are sure there are no loose connections in the system?  That would contribute to, or create the problem you describe.
Robert.

Wetjala

Voltage dropping down to around 10Vdc? My guess: It sounds like one of the cells in one of the batteries has collapsed. Each cell should typically be ~2.4Vdc with 6 cells (in series) producing 14.4Vdc when fully charged (i.e. like the FullRiver DC105-12). If one cell is "cactus" then that would cause the symptoms you are seeing. I say symptoms (plural) because the second indication is that your "full" charge appears to be just 12Vdc and not ~14Vdc which is what I would expect when neither fridges are running. Have you got a multimeter? If so disconnect one battery and measure the the voltages across both so see which is at 10Vdc. A battery, or battery bank, is only as good as the weakest cell will let it be! Batteries are considered undercharged when the voltage drops to ~11Vdc.

PS: Find the faulty battery fast because the other cells will be overcharging to compensate since the charger(s) are trying to get the voltage to ~14Vdc and this will most certainly reduce the life of the "good" battery!  :o

PPS: What causes a single cell to collapse? Well . . . I notice that these are relatively new batteries and you had a similar problem with the last set so my guess (again) would be you have a problem with the tug alternator or its rectifier (see an auto elec.) or there's a problem with the charging gear onboard the Topaz, but my money would be on the car! Another cause for a cell to collapse is impact which is not uncommon when off-road traveling.

Cruiser 105Tvan

If You do get new Batteries again, get Marine grade batteries.
Marine Grade batteries are constructed to withstand vibration and shock.
They are a more reliable in a 4WD or Camper, than ordinary batteries, and better again than so called heavy duty grade ones.

But, get the rest checked out, it won't be any good if there's something wrong with the car charging system.
Robert.

dave

Quote from: Harry Lissimore on September 08, 2018, 03:08:12 PM

Ok, sounds like yours is wired differently.

My Mk3 Tvan has (from memory) about 100mm of cable from the positive terminal to a 50 amp fusible link on both batteries for protection before proceeding anywhere near the control panel etc.

I assumed (never assume) that all TT gear had the same protection.

Cruiser 105Tvan

Quote from: dave on September 09, 2018, 07:33:47 PM
Ok, sounds like yours is wired differently.

My Mk3 Tvan has (from memory) about 100mm of cable from the positive terminal to a 50 amp fusible link on both batteries for protection before proceeding anywhere near the control panel etc.

I assumed (never assume) that all TT gear had the same protection.

Fair enough.

Mine only had a maxi fuse at the front. 2009 Tvan, not a Topaz though.
When I had the Batteries moved to the back floor we used Midi Fuses instead of fusible link wire.
Basically, for ease of replacement in the bush. 
Don't know anyone that carries spare fusible links in their camper, or vehicle for that matter.
Robert.

Harry Lissimore

Exmouth Autoelectrics and Marine have fixed my battery problem. They ran both batteries down to about 70% charge and tested them under load. The voltage went down to about 6V. The batteries that were just over 1 year old  (1 year warranty) were no longer functioning. Nothing I had done they say. I'm just unlucky. They suggested that I discharge the batteries down to about 50% occasionally and recharge, and don't leave them on the charger for extended periods while at home but just top them up every month. I will be talking to Fullriver re the correct way to look after them and I'll be chasing them for some compensation for the cost of the batteries ($930) and labour ($60)

Frankrhona

Quotedon't leave them on the charger for extended periods while at home but just top them up every month.
QuoteI will be talking to Fullriver re the correct way to look after them

Harry,
I will be interested in what you learn.

I'm not convinced you can not regularly charge batteries. My daily drive gets 3 hours charge every day, a taxi, bus or truck gets much more. I have had my Tvan on a small 10W solar panel for several years. It charges the battery during daylight hours, (yes even when it is overcast!), with no detrimental effect on the battery. Volt meter reads 13.6V during the day and 12.8V at night, no load.
http://www.lowenergydevelopments.com.au/solarpanels-poly-mono/solar-panels-lessthan-100w/10w-trickle-charger-alligator-clips.

Cheers, Andrew
Andrew & Clare
2005 ZD30 Patrol
2006 Canning Tvan