News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

T-Van diesel heater

Started by Ian.S.Norton, September 12, 2018, 06:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian.S.Norton

Hi

My wife Sylvia and I have owned our T-Van for going on 5 years. Quite often it has been suggested that storage space is limited. We have found this not to be the case, and to date adequate for our needs. Our prime mover is a 2011, 79 series cab chassis, Land Cruiser Workmate. I have additional storage space in the canopy that I design built that has increased capacity.

During the autumn and winter, we head outback to a property between Wilcannia and Broken Hill, and only leave the property to restock our pantry. The van remains in the one location for the duration of our stay and most of our time is spent walking through gorges and amazing landscapes, reading, writing and generally living the dream.

Over the previous years we tried all manner of heating to offset the cold nights that we endured in outback Australia during the winter, and were unsuccessful in doing so in a safe environment. Both gas and spirit heaters had implied health risks and so we relied on warm blankets and early nights.

Prior to heading into the NSW outback for a 5 month stay this year, we purchased a Chinese produced diesel heater that we set up as a portable unit, successfully tested it as a ducted heating device, pumping heat through the canvas vented flap under the van leading into the canvas living area. The long and the short of it was that we not only heated our van but also the side annex as well. The efficiency allowed us to turn down the heater and run the heater on idle. In that period, we only used 50 litres of diesel over the 5 month period, operating the heater for approximately 3 hours per night.

On my return home to Tasmania, I purchased another heater and have successfully installed it at the base of the fold down annex platform for a total cost of $270, a significantly lower cost than a quoted installation of $5,000. I have installed the ducting on either side of the vent flap, one for air in and one for air out. I have fitted a half gerry can into the driver side gerry can storage space and run all wiring inside, out of sight. The result is outstanding and I am willing to offer DIY advice to anyone interested in heating their van.

My next project will be to instal a role out awning over the kitchen area with canvas sides to allow for a quick setup for day camps. All in all, The T-Van I believe, offers the best remote camping opportunity for expeditions, although a bit over priced, it's strong and reliable. Retro fits are expensive; however there are other alternatives worthy of consideration.

I look forward to feedback on other ways of performance innovation from the forum.

Cheers.......

Ian & Sylvia Norton
86 Cherry Farm Road
Underwood 7268
Mobile: 0407 951 437
https://www.facebook.com/nortons.journal/

jcoptom

Sounds terrific. Could you post some pics of where you positioned it please?

Ian.S.Norton

I have tried to send a photo; however it exceeds the size limit for this forum. If you contact me via email on norton@activ8.net.au I'll send you a pic.

Gumb

I'd also be interested in some pics. Just resize the photos to under 200kb and they'll upload fine.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Young Nomads

Quote from: Ian.S.Norton on September 24, 2018, 04:06:12 PM
I have tried to send a photo; however it exceeds the size limit for this forum. If you contact me via email on norton@activ8.net.au I'll send you a pic.

You can re- size multiple images by attaching them to an email...You have the option to re- size them before you "attach"  them.
Pick as many as you want, save them all and add them to a folder (I use one I call "compressed pictures")...you will be able to add multiple images then :D

Hope that helps :)
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

Cruiser 105Tvan

If you open the Image Pic. in "Paint" you can resize it to an acceptable size.
As well as blot out Rego Plates or add lines and indicators to your Pic. and then save it.
Then attach it to a post.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Ian.S.Norton

jcoptom

Hi Ian
That email doesn't seem to work.

Cuppa

Quote from: jcoptom on October 13, 2018, 09:36:38 PM
Hi Ian
That email doesn't seem to work.

It's worked ok for me & Ian has sent both the pics & some interesting accompanying info.
Big Trip Blog

A Nomadic Life

2006 Ex Telstra 4.2TDi Patrol based camper & 2010 Tvan Tanami

Alan Loy

If you can post the info I would be very interested.  Seems a heater is in my future.  :D

Gumb

Diesel heaters are definitely the best option. We went for a portable model so we don't have to take it away in warmer climates.
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Jezz

What brand portable heater do you use?

Thanks,
Jezz

Gumb

Snugger Remote. Not cheap but it's a high end unit and works well. The control switch with thermostat has a long lead which runs back inside the van and along the bed, so it can be turned on and off from bed in the morning  :)

http://www.dieselheatingaustralia.com/products-pricing/snugger-remote-sf2-diesel-heater/
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Phil W

Hi Gumb,  Where do you locate the heater when you are using it?? And do you just poke the hot air hose through the flap under the back of the TVan.

Phil
Phil & Kylie
150 Prado & MkIII Murranji

Phil W

Hi Jezz, Just drove over to DHA last week on spec. Ended up buying the demo portable one he had in the garage. Good price and a great guy to deal with. Very happy with the heater and the buy. As Gumb says, take it or leave it depending where you are going.
Phil
Phil & Kylie
150 Prado & MkIII Murranji