Author Topic: Query: ARB Fridge - Check Light Flashing  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Frankrhona

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Re: Query: ARB Fridge - Check Light Flashing
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 09:40:19 AM »
Just thought I would share with you how I run our power cord so that it NEVER gets caught in the fridge slide.
We have an Engel with the power socket located low down on the back end. I run the cord up and attach it to the top corner of the back end on the power supply (merit plug) side. I used to run it inside the bag, but now run it on the outside and attach it to the handle with a mini sister clip, ( for easy removal).
Next I attach the cord to the box at or close to the same height near the front. (In practice this needs to be more than half your slide length and less than half the cord attachment point to slide length for it to work). Apologies, sounds like a "how long is a piece of string" conversation. Answer: It's where you cut it that matters!

Then when we slide the fridge out the cord hangs down by (at most) half the fridge slide length, which is less than the height from the cord attachment points to the slide.

This can be configured in several different ways, both socket and power at the back or at the front, or socket at the front and power at the back, whats important is the cord needs to be attached to both the fridge and box as high as possible with just enough slack for the fridge to slide full length.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew & Clare
2005 ZD30 Patrol
2006 Canning Tvan

Offline Young Nomads

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 11:29:50 PM »
Interesting comments about the Merit plug. I heard a similar thing from the ARB salesman who sold me the 60l: that the Merit socket is prone to failure due to overheating in some installations and, if memory serves me correct, their preference now is to use the Engel style connections (don't quote me on that though!). My older 47l came with the standard cig.lighter plug that would convert to a Merit plug (by removing a section at the tip of the plug) that the 60l didn't which is how the conversation came up with the salesman when I queried this.

Whilst I haven't experienced any issues to date I reckon I will be retrofitting the Merit with an Engel-style socket in my T-Van to mitigate any potential problems in the future . . to be sure, to be sure! (wouldn't be a happy chappy if things went pear-shaped while in the back-blocks somewhere!!)   >:(

We had a Engel plug on our old Engel..removed it as it was loosening in the socket and overheating (it actually melted as it was making poor contact in the socket...Friends changed theirs to a merit..fridge works fine now. Either Merit or Anderson plug is the way to go.
Another thing to check is whether the cord isn't under too much tension, when sliding the fridge out.
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 11:52:58 PM »
I have an Engel (posilock) socket in my 4wd (fuse in line also) and have not had any problems with it in nine years.
The power cord is live all the time and the 60Ltr. fridge gets turned on when required, no problems.
Yes I have trapped the power cord in the slide once. 
Replaced the power cord with genuine Engel cord and it now hangs from an occy strap and the fridge handle, no problems.
I just plugged it in and screwed down the securing ring and it's been fine.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
Cruiser 105Tvan, 2000 FZJ105R, 2009 Canning MkII. pushing.
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, in the works.

Offline William_Foster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 11:27:07 PM »
So the mystery was solved.  The crimping on the negative wire to the fridge socket was loose, so the cable was only being held in by the shrink wrap which obviously worked loose over our first two trips away.

All is resolved now and we are ready to hit the tracks again :)
2018 Tvan Scout
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5